Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Froggatt Frogatt Family  (Read 8855 times)

valbar

Re: Froggatt Frogatt Family
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 08:23:59 PM »
I have a feeling Eva is going to stay an enigma, I have checked the death and marriage records again with no joy. The passenger list have also proved unsuccessful. There is no record of a buriel or memorial inscription either, cremation did not start in the UK untill 1937.

What really puzzles me is why did she put Joseph Gibbons down as her father on her marriage certificate. This implies she lived with her father untill her adoption, in which case she must have known where she was born, but the 1911 census states" birth place unknown". Did Edward and Sarah know her family?. if she was Edwards illigitimate daughter was her mother Joseph Gibbons wife ?. There is a record for a Joseph Gibbons who died in 1905 in Marple, the next village to Compstall. I will have to get a copy of his death certficate.

Off course there is always the posibility that Edward and Sarah also changed the christian name.

Adoption was not made legal in the UK untill 1927, prior to this children either lived with relatives or friends of the family with no official records.

I will keep plodding on.

My e-mail address is valerie.waters@talk21.com

froggatt21

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:39:20 AM »
The rumours fly.  I recently asked my father about Eva as he is the last of the family that knew Edward Froggatt well.  My Father has dementia, but the long-term memory is good.  He says that Eva emigrated to South America.

Another family story is that she was troubled and committed suicide.

Yet another suggests that Eva may have been the illegitimate daughter of Edward.  If that's the case, we may be related.

Of course, we may never know.  I am in touch with a branch of the family in Florida, and while she has no information on Eva, she is looking into it.

What is your family's take on her?  She's a bit of an enigma to us.

I will send images of her and of Frank, though you may have to send me your personal email address, and likewise I will send you mine.  We can then compare notes.  I have Frank's death write-up and compared his cap badge in the uniform picture with his regiment and matched it.  The fact that we have his picture in uniform may indicate that they were still together when he enlisted.

Do you by chance have a facebook account?

valbar

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »
Hi, thankyou for your message, I was just about to give up on Eva. Although not a direct descendant Eva has always intrigued me. Her husband Frank Waters was my husbands great uncle.

I know very little about Frank and Eva, as Frank was killed in the 1st WW in France on the 18th October 1918 aged 28, they had no children. I have been led to believe that Eva left Frank and that is why he joined the army. He was in a reserved occupation as an overlooker at Compstall Mill. All Franks war medals where sent to his parents but returned as they where sent to the wrong address.

Rumor has it that Eva emigrated to America, ?? when. to date I have not been able to find any emigration records for her, or a second marriage or death in the UK'

The 1901 census shows only Edward and Sarah Frogatt living at 156 Monague Street Compstall
while the 1911 census shows Edward Sarah and Eva there adopted daughter place of birth unknown still at 156 Montague street.
therefore Eva was adopted after the age of 8, so where was she till then?

On the Marriage certificate Eva's address is given as 156 Montague Street Compstall, occupation none father Joseph Gibbons.

As I said Eva has and still does intrigue me. You said you had some photography's, we have a lot of Frank but none of Eva I don't know if you would be prepared to email me some. If you  have any information on Eva and are prepared to share it, it would be very much appreciated. If I can be of any help with your research please let me know.

froggatt21

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »
I am the great-Grandson of Edward and Sarah Froggatt who adopted Eva Froggatt Prior to their emigration to Canada they lived at 151 Montague Street, Compstall.  Contact me and we can compare notes.

valbar

Froggatt Frogatt Family
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »
I am looking for any relatives of Eva Frogatt (Froggatt) born abt 1894 place unknown. 1911 census shows she was the adopted daughter of Edward and Sarah Frogatt all living at 151 Montague Street, Compstall.
Eva married Frank Waters 17th November 1913 at St Pauls church Compstall. Marriage certificate shows her father to be Joseph Gibbons deceased. Joseph Gibbons died in 1905 in Marple.