To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207831 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2009, 02:13:06 PM »
Why don't you talk to Marple Hall School? You might even get a Lollypop Lady outfit and a wage to boot  ;D
YES WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA !!  NOW WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT  :P

Victor M

« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2009, 01:09:21 PM »
I don't think it will make it any easier to get out of anyones drive, just remember what happened when they put a green man on the lights at the old Jolly Sailor. It just caused bigger tail backs. However does anyone know exactly what is being proposed, is it a Green man phase at the Dan Bank lights, and if so is it at both sets of lights, or is it a totally separate Pelican crossing. If it is the latter where is it going to situated? Perhaps one of our councillors could respond, they must be in the know.

RWW

« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
Why don't you talk to Marple Hall School? You might even get a Lollypop Lady outfit and a wage to boot  ;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
 ::)  OH!!!!  I bet you are not as happy as I am about the pedestrian crossing !!   I am ecstatic !  No over the moon !!!   I live at the top of Dan Bank and it is a nightmare getting off my drive!  I will be pushing that flaming button all day !  In fact I may employ someone to just stand there and press it??   I feel I now have a mission in life, its to stop traffic coming into Marple and force them to take an alternative route.  BRING IT ON SMBC !!!!!    I will show you what conjestion is !!   OH I AM EXCITED !!!  People of Marple you will thank me for my one finger action !!!

RWW

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »
Well i'm quite happy they're sorting out the pavement along Dan Bank. It's about time. I think a crossing on that Dan Bank stretch is a brilliant idea. Have you ever tried to cross that junction? You have to be pretty spry. Too much of our land is given over to motor cars already. I can get over having to wait a little longer in the rush hour if on my day off I can cross Dan Bank safely on foot. As for the council paying for it, its certainly not the stupidest thing they've ever paid for. Look at those horse/cycle barriers along the middlewood way and on the woodland path near seven stiles.....

Miss Marple

« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
Oh yes Sooty 2 I am aware of the pavement proposed widening.  I am Also aware that the huge slope that had to be stopped from sliding was a result of one of the owners digging out to put in what looked like a HUGE!! cess pit or water tank.  Instead of disposing of the building rubble it was just placed at the side.  Informed people and locals will no doubt remember the Anderson shelter which I as a small child played in.  Well it was on flat land and not on a hill, if the Anderson shelter was still in its original place it would be 15ft in the air.   The original gardens which I and many other local people will remember were flat!!!!  Remember the building what was the seventeen windows (lots of pictures on this site) before it burnt down?  Well believe it or not, that was built on flat land and formed part of the original building.  Now!!! unless they had some fantastic building engineers around that time who could build a annex attached to a house on a 15ft hill ???  I for one can only assume that the land was a lot flatter .   Lets all look at the picture's and then maybe we will all have an informed opinion.  NEVER IN MY 52 years WAS THE HILL SO NEAR TO THE ROAD !!!!

sooty2

« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2009, 10:50:03 AM »
Yes Barbara  they are going to widen the pavement all the way up to Hill Top Drive. This will surely require more costly land purchase and scaping from the house on the corner and the farm, there should of been some public consultation.Did the people you spoke to Miss Marple mention this?I found this information in the Dan Bank newsletter in March/April issue. I have noticed its very rare to see people using any of this pavement apart from Marple hall pupils.It all seems a  very costly exercise if it is mainly for them. Lets face it they should have road sense at 11 plus. Oh I forgot to mention the crossing, now that really is the icing on the cake ::)

Barbara

« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2009, 09:11:36 AM »
Are they also going to extend the pavement widening on the uphill side of the house - i.e. next to the field.  It is so narrow there that it would be impossible to walk on it in safety.  It would also improve visibility for drivers coming from the Stockport direction.

Tricky

« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »
....it is true the have acquired land 2Mtr from the owner of Seventeen Windows and because they had to take down the original wall in order to widen the pavement they then had to undertake the work so that the banking did not slide. 

Just so it's clear, are you saying the house owner should have paid for this work?

meh

Mike in Marple

« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Miss Marple - did you have a drink last night?  ;) :) ;)

Miss Marple

« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »
 ;) Forgot to say that when i spoke to the council i was informed that there is to be a pedestrian crossing near to seventeen windows.  Maybe its so the house owner can get his car out  ;D Only Joking !!!!!   Really surprised that nobody on this forum seems concerned about the issue of this work being undertaken at our expense. Do you think we have purchased the new net curtains as well! ha ha Only Joking again! my god I am on form this evening !!!!

sooty2

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »
It does say the pavement at the front of the proprety known as seventeen windows is being widened on the Stockport Dan Bank website.

nbt

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
I don't think the pavement is being widened, my guess is that they're increasing the carriageway to 2 lanes bweteen the two sets of traffic lights and needed to move the pavement

It's strange, it looks like nothing happens for ages then suddenly loads gets done. Yesterday it looked like a building site, this morning it looks like a garden having work done.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Victor M

« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
Has anyone asked the question why the pavement needed to be widened in the first pace,and if it is being widened so that it can be used by pedestrians safely has anyone thought that to get to the widened pavement you need to cross 3 lanes of heavy traffic without there being any kind of pedestrian lights on the Dan Bank junction. Or are we going to have new traffic lights, with a 30 sec green man every 3 Min's, should do wonders for the traffic flow in the rush hour,

amazon

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
I would imagine that you are paying for it as part of the pavement widening project.

If you really wanted to stir things up you might want to think about this comment. When Sooty2 first made it I thought "don't be daft, that can't be right!" but I spoke to someone last night with information to suggest that it is absolutely correct. I was told that the council are paying for ALL the landscape works as part of the pavement widening scheme. That would seem to be a bit of impressive negotiation for a thin strip of land :o 

Admin Your coments are spot on the councill are paying for the work