Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207002 times)

Victor M

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
I agree that it can't be put back but sorry someone is responsible for this waste of our money and I think it's about time our council representatives take their heads out of the sand and explain why this money has been spent on this major engineering project.
If they continue to remain silent on the issue I presume they are embarrassed by the whole thing, or there is more to this than meets the eye.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »
i agree its Our money not well spent... the walls vile ( i know i was joking last time.. but this time it really is!!!) the house is great.. the gardens will be too i think
and its infuriating to know the money could have been better spent somewhere else
however its spent now!!! all the discussions in the world cant put it back the way it was
 or get us a refund... and the house is saved so...

closure???

Miss Marple

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »
Think you may have missed what the hype about Seventeen Windows is ???   The owners are not paying !!   We,the community charge people are!   Hey maybe we should all club together and paint the chippy think we should put the council negotiators in charge they may strike a deal and  do it in exchange for a portion of chips and gravy!  Think you need to read all the posts re Seventeen Windows and then you may not be so understanding and sympathetic towards Seventeen fences Oh i mean Seventeen Windows owner who for a small amount of land and I MEAN SMALL !!!!!   has had a complete make over of his garden, boundary fences and increased the value of his property at OUR EXPENCE !!!!!!   The council have not just put back the retaining garden wall they have given it a complete make over.  Now what I will say is that I take my hat off to the owner of Seventeen Windows because he/she must be one hell of a business person to strike up such a deal with the Highways Dept planning officer.

alan@marple

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »
I am getting fed up with all this Hype about seventeen windows.

It looks to me like it is going to a very pleasant visual amenity and good look to the owners!

If they want to spend their money on the property, it is their business.

What I would really like to see is pressure put onto the owners of the chip shop at the entrance to Marple at the junction with Station Rd. That building does not seem to have had a lick of paint for the last ten years, the front looks like a spotted dalmatian, no pride there!. And as you are waiting at the traffic lights to go to Stockport, take a look at the beautiful visual effect there for the tourist.

Sorry an all that like!

Miss Marple

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
 ;) Don't take any notice Sooty 2  I think some of the replies you are getting are a little tongue in cheek.  Everyone will have a fair idea of how much the work is costing. They are just joking with you don't rise to it.  I am a informed person and I know  for example there were 10 men there on Friday so just their wages alone would be a great expence.  Then what we must remember is that they are not Council workers, the job would have gone out to tender and is now subcontracted out to a private company.  What I would like to know is if they are rebuilding the wall why has so much money been spent on making it so much different that the original stone wall.  Maybe the owner can request what he wants?? at our expence?    So Sooty 2 believe me no-one on this site would truly believe that the work at Seventeen Windows is cost effective and that it really needed to be that elaborate!   THEY ARE WINDING YOU UP ????   do not fall for it !!!!!!!!

sooty2

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2009, 08:31:51 PM »
!!!!!!!!! A FEW QUID !!!!!!!!!

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2009, 08:08:05 PM »
So what are we going to do Belly widen all the pavements by buying land or narrow the roads where its not possible to buy land?

I would suspect that given the choice that is exactly what Stockport Council would do within reason. I'm not going to argue with any measure that could have a positive road safety benefit and protect the most vulnerable road users.

It would appear in this case the Council has acted on the opportunity to get the land for free and then deliver a suitable footpath. If its cost a few quid to build a few retaining walls then so be it. I'm sure that there are quite a few school children who walk to Marple Hall school each day that will certainly reap the benefit.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

sooty2

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »
So what are we going to do Belly widen all the pavements by buying land or narrow the roads where its not possible to buy land? Ive just read that speeding is not an issue until theres a death, so what was the issue that required pavement widening from Seventeen Windows? Beats me, but somebody has got a  landscaped garden and a fantastic wall out of it. i have walked to Wyevale garden centre many times with a childs pushchair and a dog, I really dont see the problem. ::) Why do people feel the need to Twist things?I have been accused  in a roundabout way of being oppinionated rude and now discriminatory of which I am none. >:(Yes I have opinions like everyone, Good job Im thick skinned, all I did was start a topic about a building known as seventeen windows.

Miss Marple

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
 ???  I have mentioned before that I live at top of Dan Bank and can tell you all in all honesty that if I see anyone walking up or down Dan Bank I automatically assume that their car has broken down and 99.9 %of the time it has.  The pavement around Danbank/Seventeen Windows could be 100 ft wide but until we sort of the speed of traffic no pedestrian is safe.  In the last 18months I have kept a log of accidents on this stretch of road.  There has been 5 cars which due to speed have ended up in neighbours gardens.  The bus shelter has been demolished 3 times due to cars racing down Dan Bank losing control and ending up on the opposite side of the road.  One car was spun onto its roof as it tried to turn at Hilltop Drive by a car that had lost control coming in the opposite direction.  A very young family were rescued by the emergency services when their car was shunted off the road by a car speeding up Dan Bank.  There has been one cyclist  one pedestrian and a motor bike knocked over by speeding cars,the list is endless its just becomes the norm to see an accident here.  So everyone in my opinion is at risk walking on Dan Dank or around seventeen windows due to the speed of traffic which I have tried to get local Councillors and the police to do something about, but have been informed that because there has been no deaths as yet in the area is not a priority for speed cameras or the like.  I hope I am not the first to have a speed camera dedicated to me when I stand at that crossing pressing that button.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
I have noticed its very rare to see people using any of this pavement apart from Marple hall pupils.It all seems a  very costly exercise if it is mainly for them. Lets face it they should have road sense at 11 plus.

this is the comment I'm talking about!! shame on you Sooty2
                                                                                                                                         Tina I think you are running away with my last comment. Of course i would not want children to be hurt, But when did this dangerous  ??? issue become  such a problem to require the pavements to be widened? Single file children! Single file still rings in my ears, but thats just common sense is it not?

Does common sense involve pushchairs or people in wheelchairs? National guidelines for footpaths suggest that 1.2m is the minimum to allow for use by a wheelchair user? Or do they belong in the road as they are in a wheeled vehicle?  ???
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

sooty2

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »
....it is true the have acquired land 2Mtr from the owner of Seventeen Windows and because they had to take down the original wall in order to widen the pavement they then had to undertake the work so that the banking did not slide. 

Just so it's clear, are you saying the house owner should have paid for this work?

I would think it goes without saying that the owner should not have to pay. But it looks rather extravagant to me.I would rather him pay for that  than me or us should I say?

sooty2

« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »
I have noticed its very rare to see people using any of this pavement apart from Marple hall pupils.It all seems a  very costly exercise if it is mainly for them. Lets face it they should have road sense at 11 plus.

Tina I think you are running away with my last comment. Of course i would not want children to be hurt, But when did this dangerous  ??? issue become  such a problem to require the pavements to be widened? Single file children! Single file still rings in my ears, but thats just common sense is it not?

Barbara

« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
I didn't mean the pavement up to Hill Top Drive - that is not too bad already.  I meant alongside the field from Seventeen Windows up towards Offerton.  The footpath is barely 18 inches wide there, and it is on a bad bend down to the traffic lights.  I know not many people do walk down there - probably because it is so narrow!  Maybe they would if it was improved.

tina

« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »
I have noticed its very rare to see people using any of this pavement apart from Marple hall pupils.It all seems a  very costly exercise if it is mainly for them. Lets face it they should have road sense at 11 plus.

tina

« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »
::)  OH!!!!  I bet you are not as happy as I am about the pedestrian crossing !!   I am ecstatic !  No over the moon !!!   I live at the top of Dan Bank and it is a nightmare getting off my drive!  I will be pushing that flaming button all day !  In fact I may employ someone to just stand there and press it??   I feel I now have a mission in life, its to stop traffic coming into Marple and force them to take an alternative route.  BRING IT ON SMBC !!!!!    I will show you what conjestion is !!   OH I AM EXCITED !!!  People of Marple you will thank me for my one finger action !!!

Miss Marple You actually made me laugh out loud! that is so funny!
but seriously though to the person who said it's a big expence just for the Marple Hall students, Honestly!!! so you would really put traffic flow before children's safety???  As my child starts Marple Hall in September I would like to think his journey to school will be a safe one and I encourage him to cross safely!!! unfortunatley his route does not go down Dan bank but I'm sure many of his friends might and therefore might possibly use it to go to their house.
Remarks like that sould be kept to oneself and not put on a public forum! How would you feel if a child gets hurt now?

and getting back on topic of seventeen windows... I think it's looking great!