Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207861 times)

tina

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »
I did always think that was a lot of "wit woo" going on in that house.  ;) Even for back then.

Lol 'wit woo'  now thats one way to describe it!

twinkletoes

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »
I was always told that it was called 17 windows, because thats how many children the guy had. Is this true? I also got told not all of them lived? I did always think that was a lot of "wit woo" going on in that house.  ;) Even for back then.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »
I'm aware of why it was called 17 Windows, and for anyone who isn't, take a look at this image http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=11

All I was saying is that if it were mine and I were carrying out the alterations I would have made the number of windows fit in with the existing name.

The building has only been a shadow of it's original self for many years, since the weaving workshop was lost to fire. Looking at this picture with fresh eyes it looks to me like the place that the existing building was stapled together recently before being rendered over is in line with the join between the house section and the weaving workshop. It would appear that the right half was rebuilt as a mirror image of the left after the fire but probably the brickwork join was not done properly, which is why it came apart and needed stapling.

To be honest I don't think the house itself has been attractive for a very long time and it certainly doesn't retain much of it's orginal history, which is why it's not listed. It surely would have been if not for that fire.

I think once the landscaping is finished and planting matured a bit, and the property is being used, it will look better than it did before.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
Don't know if that was a joke by admin re the amount of windows IE 18 in the house that is referred too as Seventeen Windows   The 17 windows were not in the building that remains, they were in the part of the building that burnt down.  Old pictures only show 16 because there is a tree slightly blocking out the seventeenth window.  The windows were all at the top in a straight line right across so that there was plenty of light for the workers who worked there as part of the cottage industry.   ;)

Miss Marple

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »
I was trying to give directions on how the best way was to get to my office.  I informed the couple who were not familiar with the area that when they got to Seventeen Windows they should just carry on up the hill.  The couple were a little confused at my directions and said "Do you mean the house with the ski slope at the side" ???   LOVE IT !!!  ;D

Rachael

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »
Sooty,  did you see the huge staples in the front of the house before the rendering went up ?

and answer me seriously,  if you did, did you really think it was attractive ?

Building stapled together in Chester to you may look attractive ( its personal opinion of course ) , but personaly I dont think Seventeen windows could  ( and did not ) have looked attractive had the staples been on show ( now matter what they were made from ) .

I would have rendered it too  ..... ( ducks head  ... ouch  ;)   )

sooty2

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:38 AM »
Lots of old buildings are held together with ironwork, it can be quite an attractive feature. We only have to look at buildings in Chester and york. I think just a general tidying up and some beautiful be-spoke windows and of course the necessary modernisations required for todays living would have been enough to keep the building recognisable as the cottage we see in historical photographic libraries. imagine buying a house to find out that the rendering is a cover up of a large crack. I suspect this is what will happen when it almost certainly goes up for sale again.I may be wrong, but whoever becomes the occupants I hope they will not do anything else to it other than ehnance its exterior.

Barbara

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »
If the rendering did fall off, it would show the huge crack and staples holding the wall together - hardly an improvement!!

Tricky

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:30 PM »
A lot of posts in this thread are unfair.

Seventeen Windows is a prominent landmark but it is also a private dwelling, not a public building.

Why don't some of you who have criticised so eagerly post your addresses? 

Would you be happy with public criticism of your property?

meh

Rachael

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »
I hope the rendering that looks very thin cracks and falls off! and once again reveals itself as the red brick Seventeen Windows.

:o :'(

hmmmm ,  tad unfair dont you think ?

sooty2

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:42 PM »
It is interesting that Seventeen Windows is described by the council as a building of Local Interest. Everyone I have spoken to is shocked at the monstrosity it has become and everyone in the Stockport Planning department should be deeply ashamed of the changes they have approved. If someone wanted a modern interpretation of an old house, why didn't they just build a new one?
                                                                                                                                                                Yes JCC, it looks like its been air-lifted from a suburban Barratt estate and dropped in the corner of a Marple field. It states in the planning consent the side extension should be built in the same materials as the original building, Thats fine but the original bricks have been covered in that awful rendering. So we now have a mis-match.  I hope the rendering that looks very thin cracks and falls off! and once again reveals itself as the red brick Seventeen Windows.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »
I might just add that all the relevent planning application and supporting documents are available on the Council's planning database.

Those links to the plans were very interesting tricky. Have you noticed that these confirm that the building now has 18 windows (including the veloxes in the roof) rather than 17. Bit of a shame that, would have been a nice touch to keep in tune with the name  ::)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Rachael

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »
Tina wont be able to comment on your Kind comments Heather, she is currently under lock and key  under my stairs , untill she comes to her senses , and thinks twice about telling her favourite In law to put her handbag down !!

if you see her posting, let me know, it means she has escaped !!

;)

heather

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2009, 08:09:14 PM »
well said tina

Rachael

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
I think everyone needs to re read all the posts regarding this subject ? It appears most of you have lost the thread or indeed the plot  Where is that Sooty 2  When we need sense and  sensibility ????

:o