Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Seventeen Windows  (Read 207035 times)

Victor M

Re: Seventeen Windows
« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
I would like to know what he (Oliver) has achieved in Marple, he only seems to have been active on this site immediately prior to the local council elections.
What I was trying to point out was that since the 1980's Councils have only been allowed to spend government grants in the areas that the grant was allocated. They are not allowed to take it out of one expenditure stream and use the money elsewhere.

alan@marple

« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
Unfortunately Miss Marple the Tories under Margaret Thatcher constrained councils by law so that they were NOT allowed to transfer money from one allocation to another, even though it made sense in that district to spend the allocated money on something else. Any comments Oliver or was it before your time?

Come off it Victor M, if you can't speak without sarcasm, don't speak at all. At least Mr Johnstone
had a go to try and improve things in Marple, and he will succeed eventually

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »
At the end of the day, Miss Marple is right - as politicians seeking to get elected or those already in office we must act on constituents behalf to ask questions and get answers - we aim to serve you the public - something all too often that gets forgotten nowadays.

Miss Marple - you are clearly very knowledgeable about this issue and if you would like to comprehensively outline your concerns, then even though it is some distance out of my area that I am spokesman for, I would gladly do some digging for you and take it up. You are more than welcome to post a reply on here or alternatively send me an email at hgconservatives@btconnect.com

Taurus

« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2010, 06:05:56 AM »
I love your spirit Miss Marple and hope questions get answered. At least Oliver is on here and contributing. If other councillors read this forum but don't contribute then that makes them stalkers and lurkers that are avoiding important issues. I still believe that Seventeen Windows is owned by someone from the council, Joe Bloggs would never had got so much money.

Miss Marple

« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2010, 12:22:35 AM »
I see you question was not answered Sooty 2 and the topic of Seventeen Windows  that should have caused controversy and public outrage was skipped over very nicely ??? but that about sums up our candidates elected or not   I also know that quite a few councillors read this forum and they haven't had much to say even though they would have probably sat on the committee that signed off such a embarrassing amount of money to proffit an individual.  I also note that the issue of pre school education has also not been commented on.   

sooty2

« Reply #341 on: May 12, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
Was he talking about Seventeen Windows? ::)

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #340 on: May 12, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
Do you remember Degsy on Century FM a few years back - classic!

moorendman

« Reply #339 on: May 12, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
Thatcher and our "Degsy" - the father and mother of all our troubles.

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #338 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »
Moreover, those particular laws were passed in order to prevent the rogue Labour councils such as Liverpool City Council (which was publicly condemned by Kinnock himself at the time) from playing politics with local council services and funding. Simply put they were necessary during the 80s and 90s - I would argue that nowadays they are probably outdated but I make no pology for their introduction due to the conditions of the time when they were introduced.

OliverJohnstone

« Reply #337 on: May 11, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
Victor I can tell you clearly want to attack me personally and simply put I will not dignify that kind of base and unhelpful politics.

Miss Marple

« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2010, 06:32:13 PM »
Well let them go cap in hand to wherever they applied for monies from for the stabilisation of Dan Bank and the devastation of Seventeen Windows and request monies for useful causes such as pre school education and restoration of building of historic intrest. ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE !!!!!!

Victor M

« Reply #335 on: May 11, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
Unfortunately Miss Marple the Tories under Margaret Thatcher constrained councils by law so that they were NOT allowed to transfer money from one allocation to another, even though it made sense in that district to spend the allocated money on something else. Any comments Oliver or was it before your time?

Miss Marple

« Reply #334 on: May 11, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
There will not be an inquiry...why? because it will be found that the owner of Seventeen Windows works for the council or is very closely attached to someone from the council. There will have been a lot of whispering in corners and the passing of heavily waded brown envelopes. It will then be just brushed under the carpet.
Well lets hope our elected councillors will now listen and  if there has been some dodgy dealings wouldn't any public spirited committee members want the truth to come out and lets hope it does so before someone else profits by selling land to make way for a cycle track.  Question  ??? Cycle track or pre school education  :'( strange the money can be found to profit individuals but not educate our children or provide a safe environment while their parents work to throw more money into the councils coffers.  And before anyone says the money  is from wherever to fund the cycle track  I DON'T CARE !!!!  What I do care about is hard working people being taken for a ride !!! Hopefully not up the cycle track which the council is still negotiating with the farmer  on the sale of land.  This has to stop wherever the money is from it is unthinkable that our elected councillors, committee members and SMBC planners seem to think that they can just throw it away on a whim. SHAME ON YOU ALL WHO HAVE THE POWER TO INFLUENCE CHANGE !!

Taurus

« Reply #333 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
There will not be an inquiry...why? because it will be found that the owner of Seventeen Windows works for the council or is very closely attached to someone from the council. There will have been a lot of whispering in corners and the passing of heavily waded brown envelopes. It will then be just brushed under the carpet.

Miss Marple

« Reply #332 on: May 11, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
I have sat on many council committee meetings and have seen councillors committed to a cause campain tirelessly irregardless of  what  party, boundary or district they represent.  At the end of the day  all councillors have a duty to serve and protect the best intrests of Stockport residents