A brief history of All Saints' C.E. Primary School
The growth of All Saints School reflects the gradual change which has occurred in the Marple during the past two hundred years. Beginning as a “makeshift” schoolroom in a farm building, the school has grown, been unproved, increased its numbers before losing pupils as new schools were built, until we reach the present, relatively stable position.
A short history of the school is given below and this outlines some of the major developments which have served to create the community which is All Saints’ School.
The first All Saints’ National School was established in Marple in 1831 in the upper room of the barn at Chapel House Farm on Suttons Lane. The Managers of the School were subscribers who subscribed not less than 10/- per year, plus the clergy.
In 1831 Mr. Pemberton was appointed Master and Mrs. Pemberton as Mistress at a salary together of £70 per annum, received quarterly. During its first year the school needed a variety of “essential” items to ensure the smooth running of the education provided. The Rev. Robert Littler bought a quill dresser, pencutter, sealing wax maker and quills [6/11d. per 1,200]. Other equipment which was obtained included: I piece Galloon, Medals, l6yds. of white ribbon and needles.
In 1832, Josiah Embill
was appointed Master and Mrs. Embill as Mistress. The salary was fixed
at £25 per annum plus the fees paid by the scholars which ranged from
id to 3d per week [inclusive of stationery but not slates]. The
appointment of the schoolmaster was to be by a majority of the
communicating members of the Church of England. He could be discharged
at any time the trustees thought fit, without any reason being given.
The School was transferred to a building built on land conveyed to the
Managers by Richard Arkwright. The new school stood at the corner of
Church Lane and Brickbridge Road on the land which is now the infant
playground. Richard Arkwright granted the land on condition that there
should be a Sunday School as well as a Day School. Set in the wall of
the infant playground is a stone plaque which used to adorn the
building. The wording reads:
The scholars were to go to All Saints’ Chapel each Sabbath, but no writing, arithmetic or secular subjects were to be taught on the Sabbath. The Master or Mistress was to be a person of genuine piety and good education, an accepted member of the Church of England and must receive communion at All Saints’. Part of the duties of the Master and Mistress was to instruct the children on Sundays without pay.