Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Big Matt’s / The Last Post  (Read 11145 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Big Matt’s / The Last Post
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2021, 10:13:24 AM »
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/current-licence-applications/licensing-authority-at-stockport-metropolitan-borough-council

Review of a premises licence

Applicant: Licensing Authority at Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council
Premises Address: The Last Post, 95-97 Stockport Road, Marple, Stockport, SK6 6AA
Application date: 13 July 2021

Review applied for:

failure to meet the Licensing Objectives of The Prevention of Public Nuisance, Public Safety, the Prevention of Crime and Disorder and Protection of Children from Harm. The review relates to excessive noise from the premises, none compliance with premises licence conditions, the use of unlicensed doorstaff, and the failure to comply with covid requirements

Last date for representations: 10 August 2021

Ouch.

jimblob

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 12:04:11 PM »
You would be correct, I think my sarcasm sank like a proverbial pool brick.
it certainly didn't seem to create much of a splash!

GM

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
You would be correct, I think my sarcasm sank like a proverbial pool brick.

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 10:58:17 AM »
Which one in Glossop

It's The Oakwood if I remember correctly.
https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/pubs/the-oakwood-glossop/

(I was assuming references to a dive bar were being directed at re-opening the swimming pool as a music venue!)

amazon

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 10:35:45 AM »
New owners, complete refurb.  Hopefully not a dive - lets give it and the new owners a chance.  They already have a thriving bar in Glossop.
Which one in Glossop

Deniseredmini

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »
New owners, complete refurb.  Hopefully not a dive - lets give it and the new owners a chance.  They already have a thriving bar in Glossop.

jimblob

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »
Think it would technically be a dive bar.
but a potential springboard for new acts!

GM

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 03:57:03 PM »
Think it would technically be a dive bar.

Deniseredmini

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »
Isn't the Bulls Head transforming into a music venue?

jimblob

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »
The empty Swimming baths could be used as a music venue it could be then linked with the rest of Market street late nights etc
Marple's very own Madison Square Gardens! :-\

Howard

Re: Big Matt%u2019s / The Last Post
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 11:32:26 AM »
The empty Swimming baths could be used as a music venue it could be then linked with the rest of Market street late nights etc

I like the intention, but having played in bands for well over thirty years, the pool building would need serious modification to works as a music venue, either live or recorded. A huge echoing building has it's place for music (think big echo reverberation which  could suit some kind of small acoustic ensemble (e.g., string quartet, acoustic guitar) but for live bands they're a nightmare. You have to treat the building acoustically to stop echoes from distracting the musicians and sounding absolutely terrible for the audience. I remember seeing a lot of bands in what used to be called "GMex" in the late 1980s and early 1990s and they sounded awful.

Let me tell you a story...I remember playing in a big village hall at a beer festival a few years ago and my band was on the stage. Our sound from the PA was going out over the heads of the audience, hitting the back wall and coming straight back at us. Every time we got a snare drum hit, you'd get it back off the wall a few milliseconds later. It's incredibly distracting!

I'd love some kind of live music venue in the town, but I'm not sure the pool building would work without significant modifications.

amazon

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 04:18:46 PM »
Given the big marquee will only be temporary due to Covid restrictions, I'm not sure what the problem is for a high street that also features a petrol station, a closed down swimming pool, and a rather tatty looking branch of Travis Perkins. 

The branding of The Last Post bar isn't that dissimilar to the old Post Office sign.  And whilst Big Matt's logo doesn't exactly scream gourmet to me personally, it's certainly not the worst signage I've ever seen on a shop front.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »

This is just my personal opinion - I find but some of those frontages more appealing than others and I'd say that 'the last post' is nudged into second place by the 'Norfolk Favela'.

We're living in strange times where the information available to business and the public about what is going to happen and when is very thin on the ground. It does take quite a bit of investment to do this sort of work which must be exceptionally tough in these times especially with no guarantee that somewhere will be able to open, it's inevitable that things will be done last minute and on a tight budget.

Having said that it is always busy when I've been passed so it must appeal, and if that keeps a table free at my favourite watering hole(s) then I'm happy!

A

Condate

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 01:35:35 PM »
or maybe he's suggesting a more tasteful and considered approach to shop front designs along Marple's high street to lift the tone of the area?

Possibly. I'm not really sure what he means. Tasteful is of course a matter of taste. While I can imagine much more attractive frontages to shops, I can't say Marple looks any worse than other places and a lot better than some.

I suppose we would need to know exactly what it is that he or she is actually referring to in order to make further comment.

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
or maybe he's suggesting a more tasteful and considered approach to shop front designs along Marple's high street to lift the tone of the area?

Given the big marquee will only be temporary due to Covid restrictions, I'm not sure what the problem is for a high street that also features a petrol station, a closed down swimming pool, and a rather tatty looking branch of Travis Perkins. 

The branding of The Last Post bar isn't that dissimilar to the old Post Office sign.  And whilst Big Matt's logo doesn't exactly scream gourmet to me personally, it's certainly not the worst signage I've ever seen on a shop front.