Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Marple Recreation Ground  (Read 3920 times)

Nwra

Re: Marple Recreation Ground
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 10:00:40 AM »
I don't often find myself on the NIMBY side of an argument, but I do agree that we shouldn't start building on open land just because it is there. The principle of redeveloping existing building locations (such as the Library) is a good one. I'd rather have a high quality town centre and green open spaces, not general sprawl.

Whilst it might be 'possible' relocate the Rec's green space elsewhere, practically that is extremely unlikely because any alternative piece of land will be worth more to sell to development. We should protect our green spaces because I don't see anyone coming along to give us more.

wheels

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 03:58:07 PM »
What makes it irreplaceable is its location at what might be seen as the entrance to the town centre. Otherwise I might agree it's a piece of green grass that could be situated anywhere. Going back the the original post the Rec doesn't have to do or be anything it can exist as it is, just be there and give plenty of pleasure and value.

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 01:14:18 PM »
It is irreplaceable as far as I am concerned, but then I live very close to it.  There is nothing minor about "a triangle of grass with some apple trees on one side of it" Rather than replace it if some land could be found, why not supplement it? There are far too few "triangles of grass" of that size about.

I am very much in favour of more greenery.  More parks, more grass, more trees.  But for something to be irreplaceable it has to impossible to replace.  That is not the rec by any means.

Condate

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 08:07:21 PM »
Is it really irreplaceable?  It's a triangle of grass with some apple trees on one side of it, and a closed toilet block.

To replace it, you just need land.  If someone really wanted, land could be found.

It is irreplaceable as far as I am concerned, but then I live very close to it.  There is nothing minor about "a triangle of grass with some apple trees on one side of it" Rather than replace it if some land could be found, why not supplement it? There are far too few "triangles of grass" of that size about.

andrewbowden

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 02:35:29 PM »
The rec is an very important part of Marple and to build on it would be criminal. I live quite near it and walk round it or past it a lot; almost every day at the moment. Such places are undervalued unfortunately and need to be preserved.  We don't have nearly enough spaces as good as this. Yes, there is the park, but the rec is at least as valuable and is completely irreplaceable.

Is it really irreplaceable?  It's a triangle of grass with some apple trees on one side of it, and a closed toilet block.

To replace it, you just need land.  If someone really wanted, land could be found.

Graham

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »
The “rec” Recreation ground as admin rightly points out is protected by covenants that protect it from non-recreational use, which is why converting the toilets to a barbers wasn't allowed.
Tamper with the rec at your peril, it is a much valued and cherished part of Marple, and not available for greedy developers to make a quick profit, many and I remember the Shatlock and Costello fiasco in the 1960s and that didn’t end well for some.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »
How could access ever be a problem, its literally a triangular roundabout.
My apoligies i have got the wrong recreation ground

Condate

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »
The rec is an very important part of Marple and to build on it would be criminal. I live quite near it and walk round it or past it a lot; almost every day at the moment. Such places are undervalued unfortunately and need to be preserved.  We don't have nearly enough spaces as good as this. Yes, there is the park, but the rec is at least as valuable and is completely irreplaceable.

Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »
The idea of the swimming pool moving to the rec is a good idea. I'm not a fan of it being in a new building in the park incorporating the library because the building will need to be much bigger than it is now, plus car parking would be an issue.

The new leisure centre/ swimming pool/ library/ cafe will have to be bigger building, but there is sufficient space for it, it's in a more central location, and the good news is that it will not be as ugly as the present library building!  It just couldn't be if it tried.......  If a new swimming pool were built on the rec then the horrible library building would just carry on, and surely we don't want that, do we?

As for this:
  There is so much green space in Marple, such as this and also the field where the college was, that just seem to be abandoned, unused and unloved.

Green space is something to treasure, not to complain about!  The rec is only 'abandoned' because of ten years of government austerity drastically cutting back local authority funding. The rec used to have a playground. It's gone. It used to have public toilets. They have gone.  It had a football pitch (or two?). It's gone. The ground was well drained and the grass was well cared for and mowed, but not any more. All because of cuts to council funding. 

Throughout the UK, but especially away from London, public parks and open spaces have been sadly neglected in the past ten years, and that is not acceptable.  The UK is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and we should be able to afford to properly maintain our public domain.

GM

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
How could access ever be a problem, its literally a triangular roundabout.

amazon

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 11:58:56 AM »
Come on, Amazon...

Are you talking about using it at all because it's like a swamp after it rains, or using it for better facilities for the people of Marple?

For me the Rec is really not widely used. Far more people use Memorial & Brabyns Parks for exercising their dogs or using the playgrounds because they're better looked after and have no traffic around. I'd love to see the Rec used differently.
Acess could be problem there again we may never have another swiming pool

Howard

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
USING THE REC

Come on, Amazon...

Are you talking about using it at all because it's like a swamp after it rains, or using it for better facilities for the people of Marple?

For me the Rec is really not widely used. Far more people use Memorial & Brabyns Parks for exercising their dogs or using the playgrounds because they're better looked after and have no traffic around. I'd love to see the Rec used differently.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »
Which part is not a good idea amazon?

USING THE REC

Condate

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 11:07:47 AM »

For me at least, the idea of using the rec as anything other than open space is a disgrace. There is far too much of this destroying fields and open space going on in this country. It's also worth remembering that there are  people in Marple who do not understand why anyone would want a swimming pool. Obviously it seems there are people who do want one, but it should not be at the cost of destroying what makes Marple a pleasant place to live.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 07:00:52 AM »
Dont think so not good idea .
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website