Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Windlehurst Road Traffic Calming Measures - Consultation  (Read 20871 times)

Condate

Re: Windlehurst Road Traffic Calming Measures - Consultation
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »
Speeding traffic and rat runners but hey who cares about that so long as I can drive along a road and don't have to face a tine fraction on inconvenience.

I'm not sure I consider a large bill for a broken spring a tiny inconvenience. Speeders (if there are any, they are probably driving dangerously as well, considering the narrowness of the road) are the responsibility of the police.

Also not that "rat run" rather ignores the fact that this a normal road and the most obvious route for most people using it.

jimblob

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 04:28:36 PM »
Speeding traffic and rat runners but hey who cares about that so long as I can drive along a road and don't have to face a tine fraction on inconvenience.
@wheels I neither speed nor do I rat run, nor I doubt do the majority of the 83% of the 900+ respondents who stated an overwhelming YES in the consultation earlier this year when asked if they wished for the measures on Windlehurst to be removed in their entirety. Why ask such a question Stockport if you're not then prepared to act on the results?

additionally @wheels as far as defining a rat run, it is not an officailly recognised term used in the classification or roads, it is entirely subjective and from a legal standpoint, a resident of any public road has no greater or less legal right to use said road than anyone else.

GM

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 04:19:33 PM »

And why presume they're all going to be speeding, by that logic all motorways should be closed immediately because some drivers don't stick to the speed limit.

I'm sure I pay for a service that employ people who drive around in checkered vehicles to keep an eye on that sort of thing.

wheels

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 03:58:35 PM »
So what is your allternative to to speed bumps

GM

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 03:49:55 PM »
No speed bumps.

If speed limit enforcement is really necessary (and it's hard to see why, as the road is not suitable for more than 30MPH, if that, anyway), then that is a job the police should be doing.

I thinks you won't be securing a job within local government, with those radical ideas and common sense!.

Condate

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 03:15:11 PM »

No speed bumps.

If speed limit enforcement is really necessary (and it's hard to see why, as the road is not suitable for more than 30MPH, if that, anyway), then that is a job the police should be doing.

amazon

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »
From jimblob
"...when Stockport Highways get a sniff of a new "Improvement scheme" ... (ahh the irony) to get their interfering little mits into with our money. Come on local councillors, can we just simply have them "removed in their entirety"; the exact question posed in the recent consultation run by the Highways Team and responded to with an overwhelming YES!"

Indeed, Local Authorities love a road project, and then enjoy restricting its use. After all the nonsense of Poynton's 'shared space', I see that the village is now to have a 'relief road', costing the astronomic sum of £52million, and for just 3,000 metres of road!
https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/construction-starts-on-cheshire-relief-road/

And when will the ridiculous speed cushions in Marple and Romiley be removed, given that the justification, last year, was claimed to be to "assist social distancing"?  Local government is beyond parody.

jimblob

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2021, 01:37:27 PM »
Yeah but there's one big problem with your request.  Our councillors are not in the ruling party in control of Stockport Council.  They can ask for things.  But that doesn't mean they will get them.
they asked for the speed mitigation measures on Windlehurst and we got those!   Shame they forgot to ask if anyone actually wanted them other than a handful of residents on the road itself!

andrewbowden

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »
Cummon' councillors, just get these all removed, your electorate have spoken loud and clear!

Yeah but there's one big problem with your request.  Our councillors are not in the ruling party in control of Stockport Council.  They can ask for things.  But that doesn't mean they will get them.

jimblob

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 12:27:10 PM »
Wrecked, yes, just spent £250 on replacing a spring and shocker on my car due to those humps.
make a small claims court claim from the council....

GM

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 12:00:24 PM »
The councillors have been a bit quiet on the forum since the election.

Condate

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 11:22:32 AM »
Wrecked, yes, just spent £250 on replacing a spring and shocker on my car due to those humps.

Ditto. Had a broken spring done a week or two ago. Obviously I can't prove the speed humps were the cause, but that's the most likely reason. In case anyone wonders, yes I do go over them within the speed limit.

ROTHERS

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
Exactly that...
    Marple Centre temporary traffic calming now has to go to consultation because someone decided we want to keep it as a 20mph (ironic as the safety audit prior to its design and installation had no speed or traffic data to even determine whether folks ever managed to get above 20 mph anyway)
      Windlehurst - after an overwhelming request through consultation and at a cost of over £10k to "remove the speed mitigation measures in their entirety", the heel dragging has started because someone has decided there has to be alternative measures. The suggestion has been for average speed cameras. Over a year after our councillors proposed this, nothing has been done because no one knows who would pay for, install or manage them. All the while, our cars are being wrecked having to drive over the speed cushions no one wants.

Cummon' councillors, just get these all removed, your electorate have spoken loud and clear!

jimblob

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
      Presumably this discussion took place. Does anyone have any view of progress?
      Highways were quick to install the 'temporary measures' but unsurprisingly, the anti-car forces are clearly at work now, leading to the usual dragging of heels.
      Exactly that...
        Marple Centre temporary traffic calming now has to go to consultation because someone decided we want to keep it as a 20mph (ironic as the safety audit prior to its design and installation had no speed or traffic data to even determine whether folks ever managed to get above 20 mph anyway)
          Windlehurst - after an overwhelming request through consultation and at a cost of over £10k to "remove the speed mitigation measures in their entirety", the heel dragging has started because someone has decided there has to be alternative measures. The suggestion has been for average speed cameras. Over a year after our councillors proposed this, nothing has been done because no one knows who would pay for, install or manage them. All the while, our cars are being wrecked having to drive over the speed cushions no one wants.

GM

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 07:13:55 AM »
          Maybe they're waiting until the road deteriorates enough to reuse all the tarmac from the humps to fill the potholes?.