Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre  (Read 33565 times)

GM

Re: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2021, 07:51:24 AM »
Similar to the terrible road width reduction scheme they're doing from Bramhall roundabout up past the Hazel Grove leisure centre.

Taking a perfectly safe and wide road and chopping it up to create a cycle lane whilst narrowing the road at what I can only assume is an astronomical cost!.

jimblob

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2021, 05:45:11 PM »
Which Temporary scheme are they referring to, the original mk1 car destroying humps or the rejected proposed mk2 car destruction scheme?
they're all car destroying and all rejected as far as I'm concerned... shame the powers that be aren't listening to that message!

GM

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2021, 03:34:11 PM »
Which Temporary scheme are they referring to, the original mk1 car destroying humps or the rejected proposed mk2 car destruction scheme?

jimblob

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »
A resounding vote AGAINST speed humps in Marple from "several hundred" repsondents
18% for
68% against
14% alternative measures.
 20mph in Marple Centre is a great idea but clearly not with humps.
Please Please Please can we now do something about our own myopic and obsessive Stockport Highways team.

So the latest I have from the Stockport Highways team, despite having received a request from our councillors to remove the speed cushions based on their feedback as above is now...

"Jon Brown (Network manager for Stockport Highways) states that there is a due process to follow and in this case, whilst the SSSL scheme is temporary the intention has always been to undertake a formal consultation (at what cost!) with residents upon the measures implemented to gauge success or otherwise. It has been agreed with the local Councillors to complete this consultation as if any elements of the scheme are to be made permanent then this should be subject to consultation and formal Committee process."

Stockport Highways team bullying us again and hiding behind "due process" as an excuse to save face rather than admit they got it wrong. Cummon councillors, surely common sense can prevail here?

jimblob

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »
consultation on Windehurst speed "mitgation" measures...
please air your views....
https://consultation.stockport.gov.uk/policy-performance-and-reform/windlehurst-road-traffic-calming-measures/

wheels

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2020, 08:30:30 AM »
Except you can honestly be waiting up to 10 minutes+ at peak times for a gap in traffic to make the right turn out of Threaphurst Lane onto the A6, and even this short stretch of the A6 includes pinch points like pointless central traffic islands. I can’t see anyone new to cycling choosing to do this, it still feels frightening.

Possibly, as a wrinklie I am never there at peak times and I accept you do have to be a little assertive to get into the flow of traffic however the use of Threaphurst Lane is in itself a pleasenter cycling experience than cycling down the A6 from the Middlewood Way and one we should be concentrating on as it's just a nicer way to cycle.

CTCREP

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »
I totally agree with RSH who said:-
(I really blame the local Marple South & High Lane councillors for not properly fighting on this either. They seem content to sit back and be told what’s what by the Highways masters).

It applies to practically all our Councillors. and so must include the Marple North Councillors as well.  Councillors should be firmly representing the Communities views and not just their own, and should stop simply being no more than Post Boys between the residents and SMBC which appears to have no interest in the future of all the residents in the Stockport area.

Choosing not  to create a link between the Middlewood Way and the A6MARR  simply because it isn't suitable for horse riding is only one of their Pro-Horse Riding related policies.  Britain is 50 years behind many European countries when catering for cycling , and Stockport is a further 50 years behind that when horse riding as a general mode of transport finally disappeared.

rsh

« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »
To come off the Middlewood Way and then use the cycle friendly back road of Threaphurst Lane which then leaves an extremly short distance along the A6 to the lights and the A555 Relief Rd seems by far the best way to access the relief road. I use that out most days and it seems to me to negate any need for a Middlewood Way -A555 cycle link. It's already there as I say it's called Threaphurst Lane.

Except you can honestly be waiting up to 10 minutes+ at peak times for a gap in traffic to make the right turn out of Threaphurst Lane onto the A6, and even this short stretch of the A6 includes pinch points like pointless central traffic islands. I can’t see anyone new to cycling choosing to do this, it still feels frightening.

A link between Middlewood and the old A6/Norbury Hollow would be incredibly easy compared to some of the things SMBC are doing elsewhere, I don’t know what their issue is. It genuinely feels like they got the plan for a shared pavement rejected* and then threw their toys out of the pram, now just saying “well we offered you a shared pavement didn’t we!” and not doing anything else out of spite.

*This was rejected I believe based on a couple of comments from horse riders that because it was due to be on the north side of the A6, cyclists would be travelling fast downhill on the left side of the pavement, directly next to where horses might be coming uphill on the road (because they can’t use such a pavement), causing horses to be alarmed. Apparently they’re used to being passed on the other side. While this is a slightly ridiculous complaint given it suggests taking a horse on a 40mph road in the first place, like that wouldn’t bother them, it’s also slightly ridiculous SMBC didn’t then propose to just widen the pavement on the other side instead, and instead gave us... nothing! For 2 years now. And no plans in progress. I really blame the local Marple South & High Lane councillors for not properly fighting on this either. They seem content to sit back and be told what’s what by the Highways masters.

CTCREP

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2020, 06:25:39 PM »
Thanks Wheels, I don’t suppose there is a sign on the Middlewood way showing the way to the A6.

Personally I am no fan of the Middlewood way and currently drive to the Deanwater before setting off on my bike, but as I drive along the A6MARR I do wonder if I should try to overcome my dislike of the muddy conditions on the Middlewood Way so as to be able to cycle from home.

Stockport doesn’t realise what a treasure they could have if the Middlewood and Alan Newton Way’s were surfaced properly. A few years ago I did a little survey asking cyclists where they came from.  The first couple I asked were unloading their bikes at Rosehill having driven over from Barnsley.  From then on, discounting a few local cyclists, there was a couple from Northwich, another from Sandbach, and even a father and daughter whose ambition was to ride all the notable cycle paths in Britain.  They had come from Essex to ride the Tissington and Monsal Trails.  They saw an advert for the Middlewood Way so came on to ride it.  I met them coming towards me as I rode back to Marple.  I asked them where they had been and they said they had got to the Council Refuse Tip so decided to turn back. They didn’t see any of the delights of Marple because there was nothing to show them where to go.  I asked them what they thought of the Middlewood, and with only the slightest hesitation they both said of all the trails they had ridden, the Middlewood Way was by far the worst.

wheels

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
I regret to say, although I would like to use the Middlewood Way and the Alan Newton Way for cycling, until the surface is suitable for commutiers who would be willing to cycle to work instead of using their cars, I too will carry on using my car.

It should be possible to cycle commute between Manchester, Stockport, Macclesfield and Manchester Airport, but Stockport Council is the muddy sledehammer in the works.   Does anyone know if the link from the Middlewood Way to the A6 MARR is now open and suitable for commuting cyclists, and similarly is the bridge from the Alan Newton Way into Vernon Park now open.

To come off the Middlewood Way and then use the cycle friendly back road of Threaphurst Lane which then leaves an extremly short distance along the A6 to the lights and the A555 Relief Rd seems by far the best way to access the relief road. I use that out most days and it seems to me to negate any need for a Middlewood Way -A555 cycle link. It's already there as I say it's called Threaphurst Lane.

Howard

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2020, 04:05:31 PM »
bonkers! ... who takes a horse to the airport?

How much runway does Pegasus need?

jimblob

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »
Unfortunately that is the only record I have. However from what I remember reading some time later in a notice,  from I think Sue Stevenson Transport Manager,  was that the planned link between the Middlewood Way amd the A6 at High Lane had been put on hold because it was considered unsuitable for horses.  If that is the case then any person wanting to cycle between Marple and the Airport, or any of the places in between will have to wait until the horses can easily get onto the A6MARR.
bonkers! ... who takes a horse to the airport?

CTCREP

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
In April of this year I responded to an email in this way ;-
Re A6 MARR
To: Julie.Felton@atkinsglobal.com
I wish to be involved in the Post Scheme Consultation on the A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road scheme for Vulnerable Road Users.

Unfortunately that is the only record I have. However from what I remember reading some time later in a notice,  from I think Sue Stevenson Transport Manager,  was that the planned link between the Middlewood Way amd the A6 at High Lane had been put on hold because it was considered unsuitable for horses.  If that is the case then any person wanting to cycle between Marple and the Airport, or any of the places in between will have to wait until the horses can easily get onto the A6MARR.

nbt

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
The link between  Vernon Park and The Alan Newton Way (Dark Lane) is open, as of the last few days. I'm not even aware of any SUGGESTIONS to link the Middlewood Way to the new A555, much less an actual opened path
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

andrewbowden

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2020, 06:18:38 PM »
It should be possible to cycle commute between Manchester, Stockport, Macclesfield and Manchester Airport, but Stockport Council is the muddy sledehammer in the works.   

I went down the Middlewood Way yesterday and got covered in mud.  But actually the vast majority of it came from the stretch between Middlewood and Bollington. It was particularly bad near Poynton.  I didn't have much of a problem in the Stockport section.  That was my experience yesterday anyway.

Does anyone know if the link from the Middlewood Way to the A6 MARR is now open and suitable for commuting cyclists

I am not aware of any link between the Middlewood Way and the Airport Road (A555) if that is what you mean other than to go down the A6 then join the old Buxton Road.  The old road has an access ramp to the the A555.