Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre  (Read 33582 times)

jimblob

Re: More "Safe Street" proposals in Marple centre
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2020, 11:10:35 AM »
So you haven't got a source all you have is your gossip and social media chat.  Whereas if you check out the link Andrew provided they don't bear out your statement.
I tend to believe what I see and hear first hand rather than headline statistics. If you're happy that a Marple outlet is robbed at knifepoint but because it doesn't show immediately in a statistic somewhere then you'll clearly sleep soundly in your bed tonight Wheels :)

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »
I just don't get why people get so furious about getting caught speeding. You did it. You could have not done it. Suck it up.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

andrewbowden

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
So you haven't got a source all you have is your gossip and social media chat.  Whereas if you check out the link Andrew provided they don't bear out your statement.

Of course recorded crime stats for October have yet to be published, so it's quite possible that there has been an absolutely massive increase in crime in the last month.  That Marple North has gone from 5 recorded crimes in the last 12 months to 5 in a month in very short amount of time.

We also know that not every crime is reported.  Although you would expect criminal damage and robbery to be reported - especially as your insurance company is highly unlikely to pay out if you don't have a crime number.  And you only get a crime number if you report it to the police. 

Out of interest I quickly looked up the crime stats for where I used to live in the leafy suburbs of South West London.  The London Borough of Merton has the fourth lowest crime rates of any of the London boroughs.  It's a pretty safe place.  We did once get a visit from a PCSO warning us that there had been a break in near by.  Turned out our neighbour had been robbed.  The robbery?  An ironing board was taken from an unlocked outdoor storage cupboard.

The stats?  79 recorded crimes in September for the part of Merton I lived in until 2016.  Given Marple Bridge, Marple South, and Marple North had ONE recorded crime between them in September, then either there's huge amounts of unrecorded crime going on, or there isn't that much crime.

Please.  Don't have nightmares.

wheels

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2020, 10:42:54 AM »
A coach broken in to, criminally damaged and used as a temporary drug den at Smiths of Marple and someone assaulted when they approached the individuals concerned.
Bargain Booze robbed at knife point in the last week.
Car and bike thefts being reported regularly on local social media
Caravan stolen on 5th November

I'm sure I could trawl back through more posts, but the above are recent examples.

jimblob

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »
Can you direct me to your source  for the above.  I've looked on various sites and am unable to confirm your statement and we don't want to be making decisions just on the basis of unconfirmed statements do we?

A coach broken in to, criminally damaged and used as a temporary drug den at Smiths of Marple and someone assaulted when they approached the individuals concerned.
Bargain Booze robbed at knife point in the last week.
Car and bike thefts being reported regularly on local social media
Caravan stolen on 5th November

I'm sure I could trawl back through more posts, but the above are recent examples.

andrewbowden

wheels

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2020, 09:18:33 AM »

when cases of knife crime, criminal damage, car thefts etc continue to rise locally,

Can you direct me to your source  for the above.  I've looked on various sites and am unable to confirm your statement and we don't want to be making decisions just on the basis of unconfirmed statements do we?

jimblob

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »
Please, lets not pretend 99% of drivers are angels, they absolutely are not. Indeed, very few are. Most need to be dragged kicking and screaming to change their ingrained bad practices.

All that said, I'm also not a fan of the Stockport Road humps. I'm particularly unconvinced that humps represent a realistic solution on distributor roads, where traffic volumes are already substantial. Indeed, the current scheme smells of a quick fix, stimulated by the opportunity to spend some free government cash, rather than a targetted response to an obvious problem. There are better ways to try to reduce speeds and make drivers more cognisant of their behaviour, but they are often treated with suspicion or bemusement by the average motorist - as they are a 'change to the norm'.
Nowhere Belly have I said that 99% of drivers are angels, but you're effectively saying here that 99% of drivers intentionally break the law but you provide no evidence to back this up. There is a lot of bad and dangerous driving where speed plays no part. One only has to see the number of posts on local social media of the number of bumps and scrapes in Asda's car park. Whilst this isn't likely to cause injury, it's bad driving nontheless and clearly shows there are a lot of people who shouldn't be in charge of a tonne of moving metal. This isn't about breaking the law or being an angel, it's about driving behaviours and education.
I feel this entire subject matter needs wider consideration and thought, rather than as has been previously stated, the miopic and obsessive methods used by Stockport's highways team in their use of speed humps and "free goverenment money".... no money is free; one way or another it's ours that has been given to either central government or the local authority to spend (hopefully wisely) on our behalf.
Your earlier paragraphs seem to intimate that people take umbrage at the potential to being caught speeding. I personally take umbrage to expensive resource being used in this way, when cases of knife crime, criminal damage, car thefts etc continue to rise locally, and there is no resource available to even attempt to tackle this. Careful and considered road scheme design which doesn't damage vehicles or the environment isn't actually that difficult but is something sadly lacking from our friends in Stockport Highways team. If effective, it frees up  precious policing resource, leaving it free to deal with what I would regard as malicious criminal activity.
Your closing paragraph seems to contradict your earlier ones but I very much concurr with it. Our council officers  and indeed the government need to think a little bit harder and more radically about how they deal with this issue.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »
Why should all traffic have to slow down when 99% of it is law abiding citizens who'd rather not have their vehicles damaged, have to brake and cause polution and reduce their fuel efficiency?

Last year 2.3 million speeding tickets were issued across the UK. Over 6,300 per day. This was met with the headline "Fury as record 2.3 million fines dished out' in one of our most popular newspapers (bet you can't guess which one).

What is the message that we apparently take from this? According to the paper it should be, 'how dare they catch us breaking the law and doing something demonstrably dangerous'. And lets be honest, the number of actual (unrecorded) speeding offences committed is probably hundreds of times that number - which is a bit scary.

This is why Councils and communities end up having to implement physical measures to try to slow people down. Because people do, constantly, break the speed limit. Meaningfully or not. And the consequences can be grim.

Please, lets not pretend 99% of drivers are angels, they absolutely are not. Indeed, very few are. Most need to be dragged kicking and screaming to change their ingrained bad practices.

BTW I'm not claiming to be holier than thou on this, its all to easy to speed, especially in urban areas - unfortunately the very location where it can potentially do the most damage.

All that said, I'm also not a fan of the Stockport Road humps. I'm particularly unconvinced that humps represent a realistic solution on distributor roads, where traffic volumes are already substantial. Indeed, the current scheme smells of a quick fix, stimulated by the opportunity to spend some free government cash, rather than a targetted response to an obvious problem. There are better ways to try to reduce speeds and make drivers more cognisant of their behaviour, but they are often treated with suspicion or bemusement by the average motorist - as they are a 'change to the norm'. 
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Condate

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2020, 07:01:08 PM »
Simple, look before crossing the road or “use” the crossing.

Exactly so.

amazon

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
Does that stop speeding .

Graham

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2020, 02:51:08 PM »

amazon

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2020, 02:36:42 PM »
I limited my search to the past month, pedestrians being hit by cars on Stockport Road in Marple.  Still found one piece in the news though.  https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-19138968

Plus my daughter was hit by a car while crossing Stockport Road earlier this year.  That, doubtless like many similar incidents, didn't make the news though.
Still waiting for someone to say how to solve , ,,,

sgk

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2020, 02:18:40 PM »
During the last 50 years I can only recall one accident of a car hitting a pedestrian ( in the 1970s ) and that was on a crossing, I have never had any trouble crossing Stockport Road if its busy I use the nearest crossing, but maybe that’s the problem perhaps people will not wait for a gap in the traffic to cross or walk to the crossing and press the button, what I have seen many times is people crossing the road when the crossing is showing red for pedestrians, it’s a road, have you forgotten what it said on the back of your exercise books at school ?.
I limited my search to the past month, pedestrians being hit by cars on Stockport Road in Marple.  Still found one piece in the news though.  https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-19138968

Plus my daughter was hit by a car while crossing Stockport Road earlier this year.  That, doubtless like many similar incidents, didn't make the news though.

Graham

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2020, 01:49:08 PM »
During the last 50 years I can only recall one accident of a car hitting a pedestrian ( in the 1970s ) and that was on a crossing, I have never had any trouble crossing Stockport Road if its busy I use the nearest crossing, but maybe that’s the problem perhaps people will not wait for a gap in the traffic to cross or walk to the crossing and press the button, what I have seen many times is people crossing the road when the crossing is showing red for pedestrians, it’s a road, have you forgotten what it said on the back of your exercise books at school ?.