Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Marple Covid19 Mutual Aid Group  (Read 27361 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Covid19 Mutual Aid Group
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »
It's been a sad news week in Marple.

A reminder that Stockport Samaritans serve as a listening ear for our local community, with ordinary people supporting those struggling to cope, round the clock, every single day of the year. Stockport Samaritans offer emotional support by person, by telephone or by email across the whole of Stockport, as well as neighbouring areas:

https://www.marple.website/community/754-stockport-samaritans.html

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2020, 06:12:35 AM »
Here we go again!

Marple Mutual Aid have recently (October, before knowledge of Lockdown 2) produced and distributed a newsletter, copy attached.

No doubt they will be stepping up their support as needed throughout the coming month and beyond.

Shop owners and others can keep this list up-to-date here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16yLAiIfgUgG8cTs20douVjxCWpESMoU9tiWOokqnk04

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2020, 06:26:48 PM »
If I remember correctly, they are areas defined by the Office for National Statistics for statistical purposes.

Indeed. Each area has approx 7200 people.

Howard

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2020, 05:15:36 PM »
That also makes sense. I didn't realise I could click on the areas and see the actual figures for the specific areas.

andrewbowden

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2020, 04:01:23 PM »
Thanks, Andrew. That makes sense. Presumably it works on some element of population density.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that figure for our small area sounds much higher than I would have expected. Certainly, I don't know anyone in my immediate area who has tested positively, though we've been complying with all the guidelines since springtime so haven't really spoken with local friends of neighbours very much.

I think the rates given are a bit confusing in how they're calculated.  But if you look at the actual figures, they're pretty low in quantity.
Marple Bridge & Mellor it is listing as 13 cases.
Marple and Hawk Green is 6 cases.
Marple and Rose Hill is 22.

When you consider the population of Marple is something like 24k, that's pretty low.  The chances of you knowing someone who has tested positively in the last week are therefore pretty low.

I actually don't know anyone at all who has tested positive, ever.  I know people who have had to isolate.  People who know people who have tested positive.  But not anyone who has tested positive.

Incidentally I note from that chart that we are very close to the national average on our rates, which is interesting.

Howard

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »
If I remember correctly, they are areas defined by the Office for National Statistics for statistical purposes.

Thanks, Andrew. That makes sense. Presumably it works on some element of population density.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that figure for our small area sounds much higher than I would have expected. Certainly, I don't know anyone in my immediate area who has tested positively, though we've been complying with all the guidelines since springtime so haven't really spoken with local friends of neighbours very much.

andrewbowden

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »
The link published below has been moved to an official government website at:
https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

As of today (15/10/2020) the rough equivalent of Marple North has between 200-400 cases per 100,000 and Marple South has 100-200 although the areas don't correspond to wards. It appears to work on postcodes.

Howard

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »
The link published below has been moved to an official government website at:
https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

As of today (15/10/2020) the rough equivalent of Marple North has between 200-400 cases per 100,000 and Marple South has 100-200 although the areas don't correspond to wards. It appears to work on postcodes.

ROTHERS

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »
I now know that almost all the places I go out to eat or visit at weekend have a very low incidence of COVID. Therefore following government guidelines will suffice. I now know where to avoid : where to look at going on holiday : where not to go on holiday : where to go to a pub : where not to go to a pub : where to visit at weekend : where not to visit at weekend : where to follow official guidelines : where to go beyond official guidelines; all at a level more useful that just by local authority, as within each authority, there are hotspots and areas of low incidence. Obviously, those areas of low incidence are so because people are following the guidelines and even in those areas, it's important to continue to do so.
It doesnt stop people from the high risk areas going to the places you want to visit though..
Is it not better to go to places that have the right policies in place to protect you ?  Example, Chester Zoo, awful policies, Ring O Bells, good policies.

Condate

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »
I am curious, how is this going to affect your daily life now you have more detailed information ?

I now know that almost all the places I go out to eat or visit at weekend have a very low incidence of COVID. Therefore following government guidelines will suffice. I now know where to avoid : where to look at going on holiday : where not to go on holiday : where to go to a pub : where not to go to a pub : where to visit at weekend : where not to visit at weekend : where to follow official guidelines : where to go beyond official guidelines; all at a level more useful that just by local authority, as within each authority, there are hotspots and areas of low incidence. Obviously, those areas of low incidence are so because people are following the guidelines and even in those areas, it's important to continue to do so.

ROTHERS

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »
Interesting, but the figures are of little use, as they only give data for huge areas. Stockport borough is enormous and what is really needed is a breakdown based on meaningful units. What are the figures for Marple, or Romiley, or High Lane would be useful information (especially for those of us who do not go to Stockport itself. The figures for Stockport borough (or indeed other local authority areas), while of some interest, is not especially helpful.

Nevertheless, thank you for the information and links provided.

I am curious, how is this going to affect your daily life now you have more detailed information ?

Condate

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »
This website gives much more local figures, just enter your postcode in the search box.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c5f6912ed7076

Thanks. That's really useful.

marplerambler

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 10:39:19 PM »
If your needs are spiritual during the Covid19 Crisis, St. Thomas' Church, Mellor may be able to help:

Today they have updated their entry in the Marple Website Community Directory to share links to their daily prayers being broadcast twice a day on their YouTube Channel. They also have a daily podcast from members of their congregation and a monthly magazine called OUTLOOK. Visit their entry in the Community Directory for more details:

https://www.marple.website/community/churches-and-religious-groups/717-st-thomas-church-mellor.html

If you are looking for a Roman Catholic Mass check out 'Church TV' online.

Snowball

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »
This website gives much more local figures, just enter your postcode in the search box.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c5f6912ed7076

Condate

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
Interesting, but the figures are of little use, as they only give data for huge areas. Stockport borough is enormous and what is really needed is a breakdown based on meaningful units. What are the figures for Marple, or Romiley, or High Lane would be useful information (especially for those of us who do not go to Stockport itself. The figures for Stockport borough (or indeed other local authority areas), while of some interest, is not especially helpful.

Nevertheless, thank you for the information and links provided.