Home Fires and Fuels - the greener way to heat your home

Author Topic: Marple Covid19 Mutual Aid Group  (Read 16136 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Covid19 Mutual Aid Group
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »
It's been a sad news week in Marple.

A reminder that Stockport Samaritans serve as a listening ear for our local community, with ordinary people supporting those struggling to cope, round the clock, every single day of the year. Stockport Samaritans offer emotional support by person, by telephone or by email across the whole of Stockport, as well as neighbouring areas:

https://www.marple.website/community/754-stockport-samaritans.html

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2021, 04:07:55 PM »
*Apologies I was given the wrong information about one aspect on my post below.

Vaccinations are being managed by local groupings of GP practices. There are 7 in Stockport Borough. All 7 will have started to give vaccinations to care homes and over 80s by 15th January. Some have started already. They will not be complete by 15th January. Sorry!

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2021, 09:30:13 AM »
Some coronavirus information

Data for the Borough of Stockport: Cases are now at an average of 378.3 cases per 100,000 (up from 225.6 last week), with the higher figures in those wards bordering those with Manchester. Testing is finding 150.6 new cases per day compared to 94.6 last week. Parts of the UK have much worse data but action is still important for our area.

Vaccinations started in the Borough last week and it is expected all care home residents and over 80s will have been given their first shot by 15th January. As of this Monday 1,400 out of 2,000 care home staff had been vaccinated. Stockport is targeting 10,000 vaccinations a week shortly. Stockport has decided NOT to stand down second appointments and honouring those already made over the next fortnight
WARNING: apparently there is a scam going round saying patients will be vaccinated at home (not true; all is being done via GPs) and/or asking for bank details prior to vaccinations. Please be wary.

Well being
Guidance is available on the following web site which has lots of contact details

https://assets.ctfassets.net/ii3xdrqc6nfw/3T4vNp5hs1hg3Npm2zbGEa/6e7a5442b2495e00510fcdf772c11ab7/Support_in_Stockport_if_you-re_feeling_anxious__stressed_or_low.pdf

that’s a long address to copy or cut and paste so alternatively go to the Coronavirus page on the Stockport MBC web site and then hit the “Health and Well being" tab.

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
Some Covid information
Many businesses will already have followed up on grants available during this second lockdown. If not, it is worth applying for the local discretionary grants – information was updated yesterday on:
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/discretionary-grant-schemes

Testing guidance has been updated which includes information on lateral flow test and quick tests.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-tests-and-testing-kits-for-coronavirus-covid-19-work

It’s also worth people noting the the Health and Safety Executive are now visiting premises to check they are following Covid guidance.

Anyone can be forgiven for being confused about the restrictions that apply from 2nd December. Plus the Government web site is, in my opinion getting harder and harder to navigate. This is the page for the tier rules from 2nd December, different from the ones when we were last in tiers.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-restriction-tiers-what-you-need-to-know

Flu vaccinations have now been extended free to people aged 50-64 (up to now 65 and over and young children were free). Health and Social Care staff will also be eligible for a free jab, all via your own GP practice.

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2020, 02:58:21 PM »
Overnight, the government have published further information about business grants which is a copy of their guidance to councils, who are still setting up their systems to take action. In some cases this doesn’t add a lot but there is a little about discretionary grants. There is also final guidance on the extended furlough scheme.
I need to correct my posts below which said cash grants will be given to those defined as “Extremely Vulnerable Persons”. The help that will be given, yet to be determined by the local council, is based on a cash grant per capita from government to the council, but is not expected to include any cash payments to individuals. The help is more likely to be in-kind or as before food/vouchers to a certain value. Apologies. All those defined in this category should have received a government letter by now.

Malcolm Allan

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »
COVID
The following may be helpful to people for the 4 week lock down. I’ll update further when I know more.

What is staying open:
Playgrounds
Tips (recycling centres)
Libraries that are already open including Marple
Bin collections continue as now

Grants for businesses
Businesses and retailers/pubs forced to close or which are severely impacted by the lock down have two potential grants:
“Local Restriction Support Grant (Closed)” which is the announced Government help
And
“Additional Restrictions Grant”, which is a local discretionary grant.
Both will be obtained through Stockport Council who are still waiting for the final guidance from the Government.

These are both in addition to the Local Restriction Grant Schemes for the time we have been in Tier 2 and 3 – again waiting for some confirmation but details on this is on Government web sites.

Extremely Vulnerable Residents
For those in this category who are required to shield/protect themselves for the next four weeks, there is a cash support which is grant funded by the Government. Again details awaited.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2020, 06:12:35 AM »
Here we go again!

Marple Mutual Aid have recently (October, before knowledge of Lockdown 2) produced and distributed a newsletter, copy attached.

No doubt they will be stepping up their support as needed throughout the coming month and beyond.

Shop owners and others can keep this list up-to-date here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16yLAiIfgUgG8cTs20douVjxCWpESMoU9tiWOokqnk04

Condate

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2020, 06:26:48 PM »
If I remember correctly, they are areas defined by the Office for National Statistics for statistical purposes.

Indeed. Each area has approx 7200 people.

Howard

• Global Moderator
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2020, 05:15:36 PM »
That also makes sense. I didn't realise I could click on the areas and see the actual figures for the specific areas.
Howard

andrewbowden

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2020, 04:01:23 PM »
Thanks, Andrew. That makes sense. Presumably it works on some element of population density.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that figure for our small area sounds much higher than I would have expected. Certainly, I don't know anyone in my immediate area who has tested positively, though we've been complying with all the guidelines since springtime so haven't really spoken with local friends of neighbours very much.

I think the rates given are a bit confusing in how they're calculated.  But if you look at the actual figures, they're pretty low in quantity.
Marple Bridge & Mellor it is listing as 13 cases.
Marple and Hawk Green is 6 cases.
Marple and Rose Hill is 22.

When you consider the population of Marple is something like 24k, that's pretty low.  The chances of you knowing someone who has tested positively in the last week are therefore pretty low.

I actually don't know anyone at all who has tested positive, ever.  I know people who have had to isolate.  People who know people who have tested positive.  But not anyone who has tested positive.

Incidentally I note from that chart that we are very close to the national average on our rates, which is interesting.

Howard

• Global Moderator
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »
If I remember correctly, they are areas defined by the Office for National Statistics for statistical purposes.

Thanks, Andrew. That makes sense. Presumably it works on some element of population density.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that figure for our small area sounds much higher than I would have expected. Certainly, I don't know anyone in my immediate area who has tested positively, though we've been complying with all the guidelines since springtime so haven't really spoken with local friends of neighbours very much.
Howard

andrewbowden

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »
The link published below has been moved to an official government website at:
https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

As of today (15/10/2020) the rough equivalent of Marple North has between 200-400 cases per 100,000 and Marple South has 100-200 although the areas don't correspond to wards. It appears to work on postcodes.

Howard

• Global Moderator
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »
The link published below has been moved to an official government website at:
https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

As of today (15/10/2020) the rough equivalent of Marple North has between 200-400 cases per 100,000 and Marple South has 100-200 although the areas don't correspond to wards. It appears to work on postcodes.
Howard

Rothers

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »
I now know that almost all the places I go out to eat or visit at weekend have a very low incidence of COVID. Therefore following government guidelines will suffice. I now know where to avoid : where to look at going on holiday : where not to go on holiday : where to go to a pub : where not to go to a pub : where to visit at weekend : where not to visit at weekend : where to follow official guidelines : where to go beyond official guidelines; all at a level more useful that just by local authority, as within each authority, there are hotspots and areas of low incidence. Obviously, those areas of low incidence are so because people are following the guidelines and even in those areas, it's important to continue to do so.
It doesnt stop people from the high risk areas going to the places you want to visit though..
Is it not better to go to places that have the right policies in place to protect you ?  Example, Chester Zoo, awful policies, Ring O Bells, good policies.

Condate

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »
I am curious, how is this going to affect your daily life now you have more detailed information ?

I now know that almost all the places I go out to eat or visit at weekend have a very low incidence of COVID. Therefore following government guidelines will suffice. I now know where to avoid : where to look at going on holiday : where not to go on holiday : where to go to a pub : where not to go to a pub : where to visit at weekend : where not to visit at weekend : where to follow official guidelines : where to go beyond official guidelines; all at a level more useful that just by local authority, as within each authority, there are hotspots and areas of low incidence. Obviously, those areas of low incidence are so because people are following the guidelines and even in those areas, it's important to continue to do so.