Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Voting for Brexit  (Read 49804 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Voting for Brexit
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 08:48:46 PM »
Surely it would be more relevant on a Marple web site to look at the voting result for the Hazel Grove constituency.
http://democraticdashboard.com/constituency/hazel-grove

Hazel Grove voted 52.21% to leave the EU.

So our MP is representing the wishes of the electorate.

He is representing the views of the electorate yes.  In some ways.  The big problem with Wragg is that - for quite some time - he was always very hard Brexit.  Something that was NEVER on the cards in the referendum (if you look at the referendum it was all about how we'd get a great deal really easily - no one ever mentioned leaving without a deal.  No.  Not even Farage.)  Notably Wragg's pivoted recently towards having a deal.  Sure that's absolutely nothing to do with him worrying that he'll lose his seat next election.

amazon

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »
The Labour Party has never voted to take our citizenship ship away. Wragg has. The Labour party are not seeking to take our freedom of movement away. Wragg has voted to.
Is that all that matters to you .

wheels

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
you wont say that if we have election and by some freak result LABOUR get in .

The Labour Party has never voted to take our citizenship ship away. Wragg has. The Labour party are not seeking to take our freedom of movement away. Wragg has voted to.

amazon

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »
Yes Wragg seems very keen to take our rights, citizenship and freedom of movement away.
you wont say that if we have election and by some freak result LABOUR get in .

amazon

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »
Surely it would be more relevant on a Marple web site to look at the voting result for the Hazel Grove constituency.

If we have another vote hope to god we dont could be higher next time ,sick of it any way like children .

amazon

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »

Nothing wrong with that .

Harry

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
As 52.3% of people who voted in Stockport voted to Remain within Europe, it would be interesting to know how our Parliamentary Representatives voted in Parliament, and are they representing their Constituents views.

jimblob

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »
tell me - how does it benefit us? I'll happilt sit down and discuss over a convivial beverage if you would prefer
An appealing invite, although I fear our politics might not align. For the record however, I didn't vote leave, but my dissapointment/frustration/anger with the current state of UK politics from Stockport Council to the current pantomine that is regularly performed in the House of Commons remains a continued source of disbelief.

nbt

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »
it's true that the referendum reslt in 2016 showed a very small margin in favour of brexit. In the years since then, we've found that the leave campaign have acted illegally and outright lied to us, the electorate. All the promises they made have been proven to be false - we don't hold all the cards, this hasn't ben the easiest deal in history, they aren't queueing up to make deals with us

now, there are some very good reasons to consider leaving the EU. what we do need to ask ourselves is, "does the deal on the table accurately refelect all - or even ANY = of the promises and scenarios portrayed prior to the referendum? How does it improve thigs for the UK as a nation?"

I have yet to meet anyone who is prepared to stand up and answer the latter question in particular. I have yet to see a credible report which suggests anything other than a longterm negative impact on the UK economy and thus quality of life for the majority of the population, but when asked "what benefit does brexit offer us?" those who support it fall back on "but it's what we voted for".

no, even amongst those who did vote for brexit, only a tiny proportion voted for this.

tell me - how does it benefit us? I'll happilt sit down and discuss over a convivial beverage if you would prefer
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

jimblob

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »
Yes Wragg seems very keen to take our rights, citizenship and freedom of movement away.
or maybe keen to simply honour the result of a referendum in 2016?

wheels

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »

andrewbowden

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »
As 52.3% of people who voted in Stockport voted to Remain within Europe, it would be interesting to know how our Parliamentary Representatives voted in Parliament, and are they representing their Constituents views.

Of course you vote for an MP who you consider will best represent your views whilst also making informed decisions on your behalf.  In a parliamentary democracy, your MP is elected to come to with their view on things and then act accordingly in the way they best fit.

Which is exactly why referendums don't work well in a parliamentary democracy... But equally parliament decided it was useless and devolved decision on EU membership to the people.  So really any MP not reflecting the views of all of their constituents properly is - for my mind - doing it wrong.  Any MP who wanted to implement a personal view, should never ever have voted for a referendum. 

But this implies an element of common sense wholely absent from some of our elected representatives

amazon

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
There are several web sites that show how MPs voted on everything.
Mr wragg voted out .and he voted with the prime minister yesterday ,

mikes

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »
There are several web sites that show how MPs voted on everything.

CTCREP

Voting for Brexit
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »