Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Stripping old paintwork.  (Read 3863 times)

Lily

Re: Stripping old paintwork.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
There’s always someone like this chap who is based in Marple.
https://www.benaboutthehouse.co.uk
I don’t know anything about him but have seen him mentioned on local Facebook sites.
Lily

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
You posted this some twelve months ago  the advice given by a few people is ring stripper door at stockport.if they are still going Who did you ask .
Thanks, Amazon, I'll look them up. Can't remember if I spoke to them. (As for the companies I remember approaching I don't think we are allowed to post derrogatory comments.)

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
That's right, but they also say "The door should be removed to be ready for collection, with all ironwork also removed." So Henrietta is still going to need someone to remove them and refit etc.

May still be worth talking to them.  They may be willing to do that.

(He says, although realising Henrietta may already have done so.)

Alternatively, sure there are some handymen who would remove and replace the doors.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 07:27:19 AM »
Their new website says they will collect for those local to Stockport, for an additional fee
https://traditionalfrontdoors.co.uk/manchester-door-stripping/

That's right, but they also say "The door should be removed to be ready for collection, with all ironwork also removed." So Henrietta is still going to need someone to remove them and refit etc.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:19:23 AM »
Their new website says they will collect for those local to Stockport, for an additional fee
https://traditionalfrontdoors.co.uk/manchester-door-stripping/

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »
Stripper door are still going they have a good website there no is016147789 .

Stripper Door and others I can find on-line expect you to bring your doors to them. Henrietta is not equipped to do that, so she is looking for someone who can also provide removal, transport and refitting. Maybe someone like Paul Jones Property Maintenance could offer a solution, which may still include Stripper Door to do the actual stripping.

Paul Jones can be contacted on 0161 4273490 or 07850 866057

If the doors are hardwood then hand-stripping rather than dipping is recommended but looks rather expensive.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 07:10:28 PM »
You posted this some twelve months ago  the advice given by a few people is ring stripper door at stockport.if they are still going Who did you ask .
Stripper door are still going they have a good website there no is016147789 .

amazon

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »
My 1921 house has heavy, panelled wooden internal doors with over 100 years-worth of paint layers. Due to the exigences of life the paintwork is past its best, to put it mildly. It's worn, scratched, and chipped down to the bare wood so needs stripping. Given the age of the doors it is more than likely that there is lead paint under the more modern stuff so D-I-Y stripping doesn't seem to be a good idea and I'm a bit dubious about sanding for the same reason. 

Can anyone recommend a firm who will come and take down the doors (they are very heavy), take them away to strip them and return and re-fit them? Two firms that I approached seemed to think I was unreasonable to expect them to do the "demolition" work and as I'm an elderly, arthritic spinster with no young, strapping nephews to summon to my aid I couldn't manage to take the doors down and rehang them myself.

My login is Henrietta

Stripping old paintwork.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »
My 1921 house has heavy, panelled wooden internal doors with over 100 years-worth of paint layers. Due to the exigences of life the paintwork is past its best, to put it mildly. It's worn, scratched, and chipped down to the bare wood so needs stripping. Given the age of the doors it is more than likely that there is lead paint under the more modern stuff so D-I-Y stripping doesn't seem to be a good idea and I'm a bit dubious about sanding for the same reason. 

Can anyone recommend a firm who will come and take down the doors (they are very heavy), take them away to strip them and return and re-fit them? Two firms that I approached seemed to think I was unreasonable to expect them to do the "demolition" work and as I'm an elderly, arthritic spinster with no young, strapping nephews to summon to my aid I couldn't manage to take the doors down and rehang them myself.