Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: War Memorial and Carver Plaque rescued from Albert Schools  (Read 2587 times)

tigerman

Re: War Memorial and Carver Plaque rescued from Albert Schools
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 05:00:30 PM »
Ooops missed the link.  Read it now.

andrewbowden

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
Interesting stuff.  Seems strange they didn't take them with them when the church vacated the property.  But then our attitudes to conservation and history have changed over the years.  And I know that when the church I used to go to as a child closed recently, they left pretty much everything like that inside and locked the doors!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 07:37:02 PM »
Mark, are these Marple people?  I don't recognise some of the names.  If they are Marple why weren't they recorded on the main memorial?

Hi @tigerman if you read the linked article fully you will find that seven of the eight men are on the war memorial in the park and there is an explanation about what we have learned regarding the chap who isn't, which is Marmaduke Cooper. All the others are on our war memorial and the time-line. Several of them also appear on All Saints, and on other local rolls of honour.

https://www.marple.website/community-projects/memorials-rescued-from-albert-schools-html.html

tigerman

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:01:20 PM »
Mark, are these Marple people?  I don't recognise some of the names.  If they are Marple why weren't they recorded on the main memorial?

amazon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »
Is the floor near the cupboard tiled some of that should be saved even if its only a couple of foot square it could be mounted some were .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
War Memorial and Carver Plaque rescued from Albert Schools
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 12:45:31 PM »
War Memorial and Carver Plaque rescued from Albert Schools

The Marple Website is pleased to have been able to rescue two historic plaques from the Albert Schools building due for demolition soon. These include a previously unrecorded WWI War Memorial and a lost plaque commemorating Thomas and Hannah Carver from 1911. Read more on the main site:

https://www.marple.website/community-projects/memorials-rescued-from-albert-schools-html.html