Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Claire Vibert: Labour Candidate for Marple North  (Read 18300 times)

amazon

Re: Claire Vibert: Labour Candidate for Marple North
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
I didn't think they were in any way abrasive Amazon. You seem to have been needlessly pulled up again.
Thank you again

wheels

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »
I didn't think they were in any way abrasive Amazon. You seem to have been needlessly pulled up again.

amazon

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 09:54:15 AM »
I know you don't mean it @amazon but your post comes across as blunt and rude. Everyone, please remain polite and friendly.

Claire's reference to the train station is about encouraging people to walk to it instead of drive. Whether you agree with that or not it should be easy enough to understand.

Improving Marple's traffic situation is a huge challenge. This is going to be an ongoing problem for all councillors whatever banner they work under. Personally I don't think that there are going to be any quick fixes that will make very much difference but perhaps those who think they know best could make some polite suggestions as to what they would do and maybe shape our prospective new councillor's policy, should she be elected. It would also be interesting to hear other candidates views on this matter and for that purpose I've started another thread here:

Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?

As far as improving the traffic around Rose Hill School, there is a scheme proposed that was out for consultation recently and if implemented and policed this should at least make a difference on Elmfield Drive. I hope so anyway. That is not dissimilar to what is described in the Guardian article. You can read more about that here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=8122.msg48356#msg48356
Iwiil apoligise for my Abrasive comments .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »
U have not come up with any use full solution at all .What do you mean train station for  example .

I know you don't mean it @amazon but your post comes across as blunt and rude. Everyone, please remain polite and friendly.

Claire's reference to the train station is about encouraging people to walk to it instead of drive. Whether you agree with that or not it should be easy enough to understand.

Improving Marple's traffic situation is a huge challenge. This is going to be an ongoing problem for all councillors whatever banner they work under. Personally I don't think that there are going to be any quick fixes that will make very much difference but perhaps those who think they know best could make some polite suggestions as to what they would do and maybe shape our prospective new councillor's policy, should she be elected. It would also be interesting to hear other candidates views on this matter and for that purpose I've started another thread here:

Traffic Issues in Marple - what can be done about them?

As far as improving the traffic around Rose Hill School, there is a scheme proposed that was out for consultation recently and if implemented and policed this should at least make a difference on Elmfield Drive. I hope so anyway. That is not dissimilar to what is described in the Guardian article. You can read more about that here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=8122.msg48356#msg48356
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 09:26:24 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply. Some of the things I mentioned such as traffic calming, can be done quite quickly. However, we do need to be ambitious and think long-term otherwise real change won’t happen. I absolutely appreciate that there are lots of people who rely on their car to commute. By making the changes I mention however, we can:
a) reduce the number of unnecessary journeys which will benefit those who do need to use their car as the roads will be quieter (by encouraging walking to school/the train station for example); and
b) in the longer term, reduce the number of people who rely on their car.

Claire
U have not come up with any use full solution at all .What do you mean train station for  example .

Howard

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 08:17:14 PM »
You're fighting a losing battle on traffic here Claire, @jimblob will criticise it. 90% of his posts complain about the traffic, the only solutions to which appear to be removing anything which might slow traffic down to give pedestrians and cyclists a better experience.

Claire Vibert

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
Thanks for the more detailed response. Sadly though, all your suggested "improvements" are actually very anti-car, penalise the motorist and appear to exclude motorists from an "holistic" approach. They focus on improved public transport, walking and cycling. Whilst this is all very honourable and can help ameliorate our traffic woes, it is very long term, idealistic, almost generational and offers no tangible hope for commuters who's only practical option is the car.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Some of the things I mentioned such as traffic calming, can be done quite quickly. However, we do need to be ambitious and think long-term otherwise real change won’t happen. I absolutely appreciate that there are lots of people who rely on their car to commute. By making the changes I mention however, we can:
a) reduce the number of unnecessary journeys which will benefit those who do need to use their car as the roads will be quieter (by encouraging walking to school/the train station for example); and
b) in the longer term, reduce the number of people who rely on their car.

Claire

Claire Vibert

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 05:31:45 PM »
Given that other councillors in your party have been willing and able to stop parents driving near schools, why are you not? 

see https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/13/uk-schools-move-to-ban-the-school-run-to-protect-pupils-from-air-pollution and https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2017/03/23/parents-face-fines-driving-kids-school/

Sorry at present all your answers sound the same as all other candidates, yet they don't have the bandage of the leader of your party.

Hi again. Thanks for sharing those articles. The Guardian one talks about ‘park and stride’ schemes, which is the same as the ‘walking bus’ I mentioned. I think this could work really well, by removing the need to drive close to school whilst still allowing parents who need to, to drive from home. It’s clear this kind of thing can work really well. I would see my role as being to bring schools, parents and residents on board to find the right solution for each area. I don’t think anyone would argue that we have a real problem with traffic and parking near our schools and I agree with you that we should be ambitious.

Claire

jimblob

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
By reducing traffic volume through public transport, and improved walking and cycling options, and traffic calming, air quality will be improved, with health and environmental benefits.

Claire
Thanks for the more detailed response. Sadly though, all your suggested "improvements" are actually very anti-car, penalise the motorist and appear to exclude motorists from an "holistic" approach. They focus on improved public transport, walking and cycling. Whilst this is all very honourable and can help ameliorate our traffic woes, it is very long term, idealistic, almost generational and offers no tangible hope for commuters who's only practical option is the car.

ringi

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »
Some parents will always need to drive to school, either because of distance or because they need to go on to work.

Given that other councillors in your party have been willing and able to stop parents driving near schools, why are you not? 

see https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/13/uk-schools-move-to-ban-the-school-run-to-protect-pupils-from-air-pollution and https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2017/03/23/parents-face-fines-driving-kids-school/

Sorry at present all your answers sound the same as all other candidates, yet they don't have the bandage of the leader of your party. 

Claire Vibert

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
2. Work to improve traffic issues
can you be more specific on your use of the word "Improve"? Making the roads safer, cleaner and making public transport more effective is a rather generic statement and unlikely to improve the actual traffic issues for the majority of motorists who live in Marple or those who might wish to visit.

Hello, thanks for your question. I do appreciate that short statements and candidate leaflets tend towards the generic, and this is a huge issue that could be discussed at length.
The first thing to say is that I don’t have all the answers right away. As a councillor I would work with the relevant officers and take expert advice on the best way to tackle transport issues.
I know from my own experience and the conversations I’ve had with other local residents that traffic speed and volume is a huge concern. Station Road down to Brabyn’s Brow is just one example where vehicles drive too fast and it’s far too difficult to cross the road safely. This is really off-putting for pedestrians and I know causes a lot of parents to choose to drive their children to Marple Bridge to school rather than walk (which of course adds to the traffic). I’d like to investigate the best way to slow traffic down on that stretch of road, and get more safe road crossings in place, especially by the train station and the park.

On transport more generally, I support a holistic approach to create a better integrated public transport system, where public transport is an easy and relief option over car journeys. There are some good proposals in the Marple Neighbourhood Plan to improve the area for cycling and walking, and I support both the proposals themselves and the approach of finding local solutions. That said, we also need to be part of the infrastructure of Greater Manchester as a whole, and I welcome the proposals from the Mayor to link Marple to the Metrolink by train-tram.

By reducing traffic volume through public transport, and improved walking and cycling options, and traffic calming, air quality will be improved, with health and environmental benefits.

Claire

Claire Vibert

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »
Are you willing to outlaw parents driving their children to/from school so as to make it safe for children to wall/cycle to/from school?

(Or is "nice words" all you are willing to do for road safety)

Hi, thanks for the question. I would like to work with local schools to increase the number of children who are able to walk to school, either from home or in a ‘walking bus’ arrangement from a location where parking is safer. Some parents will always need to drive to school, either because of distance or because they need to go on to work. And the areas around our schools are not designed for the number of cars driving and parking. As a parent and a resident who lives near a school (not the one my children attend although we do walk about 80% of the time), I know how difficult this issue is. I think there needs to be full cooperation between schools, parents, the council, and the wider community with clear conversations to find practical solutions, and the first thing I would do on this issue is to bring people together to find the best solutions as I think it’s something we all need to work together on.

Claire

jimblob

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:22:25 PM »
Hello everyone, thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself.

My name is Claire Vibert, and I am your Labour candidate in Marple North.

I’ve put myself forward for these elections as I want to give something back to the community. My five pledges for Marple North are to:

1. Ensure we have a modern and well-maintained swimming pool in Marple, for the residents of Marple to benefit from;
2. Work to improve traffic issues to make our roads safer and cleaner, and make public transport more effective

Kind regards
Claire
2. Work to improve traffic issues
can you be more specific on your use of the word "Improve"? Making the roads safer, cleaner and making public transport more effective is a rather generic statement and unlikely to improve the actual traffic issues for the majority of motorists who live in Marple or those who might wish to visit.

ringi

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
Are you willing to outlaw parents driving their children to/from school so as to make it safe for children to wall/cycle to/from school?

(Or is "nice words" all you are willing to do for road safety)

Claire Vibert

Claire Vibert: Labour Candidate for Marple North
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:22:09 AM »
Hello everyone, thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself.

My name is Claire Vibert, and I am your Labour candidate in Marple North.

I live in Marple with my husband and three children who attend St Sebastian’s nursery and St Mary’s school, and I play an active part in our community. I run the Red Box Project in Marple, which ensures that girls in our local schools don’t miss out on their education because of period poverty. I’ve helped set up a parent-led group to call for better funding for our schools. And I’m involved with Equality Matters Marple which promotes equality in our local area.

I’ve put myself forward for these elections as I want to give something back to the community. My five pledges for Marple North are to:

1. Ensure we have a modern and well-maintained swimming pool in Marple, for the residents of Marple to benefit from;
2. Work to improve traffic issues to make our roads safer and cleaner, and make public transport more effective;
3. Continue to campaign to increase the funding our local schools receive, so that they can provide our children with the education they deserve;
4. Engage and listen to the community: many people tell me that they do not feel listened to, and this needs to change;
5. Stand up for the vulnerable across Stockport, who are suffering most from the effects of Tory austerity.

I will work hard to build on the successes of the Labour-led Stockport council, the most recent of which is to introduce the real living wage for all care workers across Stockport. I encourage voters to vote according to their values and leave behind the tired claims that tactical voting is the only way to keep the Tories out. The last two general elections show this doesn’t work. And at the local level, Stockport Council will be run by either Labour or the Lib Dems. So a vote for Labour is the only way to ensure Labour can continue their work of the last two years. As the Labour Party, we are active throughout the year on the issues that make a difference to people’s lives, both as local volunteers, for example through collecting food bank donations, and leading the council by protecting services despite the government’s budget cuts.

I’ll check back on here regularly, and you can also keep up to date with us on Facebook on the Labour4Marple page, and on Twitter @MarpleLabour. You can email me at marplelabour@gmail.com

Thanks again to the Marple website for all your effort in running this resource for the community.

Kind regards

Claire