Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: RBS  (Read 8352 times)

wheels

Re: RBS
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
You may be right @wheels , but the banks tried to remove costly cheque books and they are still there...

Ah yes Geoff cheques that's where you give someone a bit of paper with all your account details, your signature and very often your address on the back, and people go on about lack of security when banking on line.

Hope you enjoyed Krakow x

marpleexile

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »
You may be right @wheels , but the banks tried to remove costly cheque books and they are still there...

That kind of implies that the banks tried and failed. In reality they had their legs cut out from underneath them before they'd got started.

Around 2008/09 the government of the day announced that they were going to allow cheques to be phased out by 2018. Then in 2011, SEVEN YEARS before they were due to be phased out, the government bottled it, decided that not enough progress had been made on making sure suitable alternative options were in place, and announced that they would no longer be phased out.

Cheques are only still a thing because the government legally requires it. Had they not bottled it, cheques would be abolished, and we'd have a (likely) much better, certainly less expensive, and less hassle alternative than passing around a bit of paper, for those rare circumstances when card or electronic transfer just won't do.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »

wheels

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
without people there would not be a business

Yes the people banking on line. That's where the profit is.

amazon

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2018, 07:42:33 PM »
Yes but can a business justify keeping premises open and all the associated costs because a few people can't or won't access on line banking.

This is a business not a public sector body.
without people there would not be a business 

marpleexile

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Maybe but your not thinking of those people that dont have internet so dont do online banking .

I am, which is why I said I'm surprised that the post office haven't made more of this.

Individually, the banks will find it harder and harder to justify keeping more than a handful of branches open - I don't think it will be too long (ie certainly within 10 yrs, if not 5) before the only branches are located in the major regional town/city centres.

However, collectively, there are probably enough customers across all the banks to justify local branches. The ideal solution would be a for a new bank to start up, specifically catering for these people, but that will never happen. The next best option would be someone who already has a network of local branches that are used to handling secure money transactions to get involved.

wheels

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 04:15:05 PM »
Maybe but your not thinking of those people that dont have internet so dont do online banking .

Yes but can a business justify keeping premises open and all the associated costs because a few people can't or won't access on line banking.

This is a business not a public sector body.

amazon

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 03:27:51 PM »
It's inconvenient, but given how often "most" people visit a bank branch, there is less and less need to have a "local" branch.

Given how people are using royal mail less and less - generally less paper post is being sent, and there are better options for parcels - I'm surprised that the post office hasn't made bigger efforts to become the go to place for general banking transactions, to diversify it's offering.

marpleexile

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
I've had a Lloyds account since I was at university in the early 70s and never lived in a place with a Lloyds branch and it never been a problem I must say I've never really understood the need to have a branch of my bank within 2 mins walk.

It's inconvenient, but given how often "most" people visit a bank branch, there is less and less need to have a "local" branch.

Given how people are using royal mail less and less - generally less paper post is being sent, and there are better options for parcels - I'm surprised that the post office hasn't made bigger efforts to become the go to place for general banking transactions, to diversify it's offering.

wheels

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »
I've had a Lloyds account since I was at university in the early 70s and never lived in a place with a Lloyds branch and it never been a problem I must say I've never really understood the need to have a branch of my bank within 2 mins walk.

amazon

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »
I feel the same sore of distrust towards humans in branches.

Isn't there an RBS out at High Lane and at 5 ways.
It will be a day out trip way its going .

amazon

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »
The RBS website gives seven branches "locally" including Marple.

There's one at Romiley.  it's due to close a week before Marple.
There's one at Hazel Grove.  It's due to close the same day as Marple.
There's one at Disley.  it's due to close the same day as Marple.
There's one at Poynton.  It's due to close in November,.
There's one at Stockport.  It's due to close a week before Poynton.
There's one at Denton.  It's due to close on the first of November.

Basically if you are an RBS customer and want to stay with them and use a branch, you will need to use a Natwest branch instead.
natwest Glossop stockport Bramhall dont no of anymore local .

amazon

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »
Friends of Memorial Park will have to move our account elsewhere - I was going to check out Nationwide to see if they do "Treasurer" type community group accounts. If they don't do them I guess the only option is Barclays until they close. What do other groups use - I think there are many of us using RBS who are going to be looking for something else that requires two signatures etc.
We are going to have same problem cricket club we have three signatures  we can use natwest but thats going to stockport not sure if Hazel grove natwest is still open
    Bramhall is still open but what a trapes to there .

andrewbowden

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »

The RBS website gives seven branches "locally" including Marple.

There's one at Romiley.  it's due to close a week before Marple.
There's one at Hazel Grove.  It's due to close the same day as Marple.
There's one at Disley.  it's due to close the same day as Marple.
There's one at Poynton.  It's due to close in November,.
There's one at Stockport.  It's due to close a week before Poynton.
There's one at Denton.  It's due to close on the first of November.

Basically if you are an RBS customer and want to stay with them and use a branch, you will need to use a Natwest branch instead.

wheels

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »

I use online banking all the time.  I've used it for easily 15 years.  But I still distrust it.