Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: RBS  (Read 8460 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: RBS
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
Have Barclays announced that they are closing?

Not that I'm aware of but I'm assuming it's only a matter of time.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »
Well, not really.

I (and two others) signed cheques on an account that I wasn't a signatory on for 3 years. We only found out when we went to change the signatories again, and found out the previous mandate hadn't been processed! Apparently they only check the signatures against their records if the cheque is over an unspecified value (which they wouldn't disclose for "security reasons", hah!) or if they have other reasons to suspect suspicious or fraudulent activity on your account. And there are numerous stories about banks paying cheques into accounts other than the one that they've been made payable to, as they don't properly check the details on a cheque.

To be honest, I have never assumed that they did check the signature. 

And if banks pay money into the wrong account, with a cheque there is an audit trail.  That cheque says who that money was supposed to go to.  If the bank screws up, it's not me that's at fault.  I have written the cheque correctly.  My responsibility basically ends (unless - of course - it's a cheque going to an account I am responsible for.)

But if I make a typo on online banking, and the money goes into the wrong account, then that is my fault.  There's no checking or confirmation done by the bank.  They don't even check the account name matches between the destination account and what I have put.  If I mistakenly transfer a huge amount and it goes AWOL due to a mistake, I'm screwed. 

Of course the answer is to do a token transfer first, confirm recipient has got it, then do the remainder.  But it's faff and it's hassle for everybody.  And it's a fudge to work round the fact that the system is fundamentally flawed.

I use online banking all the time.  I've used it for easily 15 years.  But I still distrust it.

Harry

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
I guess the only option is Barclays until they close.

Have Barclays announced that they are closing?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 08:08:21 AM »
The Nationwide does enjoy a good reputation but unfortunately does not, I understand, offer accounts for charities and other community groups.  A lot of people pay subscriptions by cheque. The depositing of multiple cheques is not easy via the Post Office. Just curious where will the nearest RBS be following the string of local closures - Manchester

Friends of Memorial Park will have to move our account elsewhere - I was going to check out Nationwide to see if they do "Treasurer" type community group accounts. If they don't do them I guess the only option is Barclays until they close. What do other groups use - I think there are many of us using RBS who are going to be looking for something else that requires two signatures etc.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpleexile

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 07:36:02 AM »
At least with a cheque you know the money won't go to someone it is not supposed to.

Well, not really.

I (and two others) signed cheques on an account that I wasn't a signatory on for 3 years. We only found out when we went to change the signatories again, and found out the previous mandate hadn't been processed! Apparently they only check the signatures against their records if the cheque is over an unspecified value (which they wouldn't disclose for "security reasons", hah!) or if they have other reasons to suspect suspicious or fraudulent activity on your account. And there are numerous stories about banks paying cheques into accounts other than the one that they've been made payable to, as they don't properly check the details on a cheque.

amazon

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
The Nationwide does enjoy a good reputation but unfortunately does not, I understand, offer accounts for charities and other community groups.  A lot of people pay subscriptions by cheque. The depositing of multiple cheques is not easy via the Post Office. Just curious where will the nearest RBS be following the string of local closures - Manchester
yes Stockports gone or  going .none in Hyde .

andrewbowden

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »
Does anyone use cheques anymore.

Here have this bit of paper with all my bank details on it oh and have my signature for good measure...... and people say on line banking is insecure.

I used one to pay the builder recently. 

I very rarely use them but equally there are risks when setting up new payees on online banking.

At least with a cheque you know the money won't go to someone it is not supposed to.

wheels

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
Does anyone use cheques anymore.

Here have this bit of paper with all my bank details on it oh and have my signature for good measure...... and people say on line banking is insecure.

corium

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »
The Nationwide does enjoy a good reputation but unfortunately does not, I understand, offer accounts for charities and other community groups. 

..but the Vernon does albeit not one with a cheque account attached

rosehill5

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »

Cyberman

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 07:56:19 PM »
You can do basic banking for most banks at the post office:

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services

If you deposit a cheque at the PO you don't get much of a guarantee against it going astray. You get a receipt that you deposited something - but no record of the value. I would not be happy depositing a large cheque via the PO (Not something that happens often..)

In my opinion it's an inferior service.

amazon

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 05:20:31 PM »
You can do basic banking for most banks at the post office:

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services
yes but thats no good if you require a lot of bags of coins .

Cyberman

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »
I can second the recommendation for Nationwide. Good opening hours and friendly staff. Some accounts with reasonable interest rates. . I think their Recommend a Friend offer still applies:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab

I moved when Natwest closed. Their response to my criticism of the closure was "everyone banks online". Partly true, but there are plenty of times when human contact is needed; opening new accounts for children, mortgage application, security issues... Or if you want an online-only bank choose one with a decent interest rate. As Andrewbowden said, switching is easy.

RBS is only interested in maximising its profit. Vote with your feet!

amazon

RBS MARPLE
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »
The lib dems have a petition to try save the Rbs marple which is closing in jan ,anyone interestd trying to save this branch may want to sign it .

andrewbowden

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
It should be said that changing your current account now is ridiculously easy and very quick. 

The switching process means the banks move all your payments and direct debits over and set things up for you in just seven days.  They'll even move your salary and other regular payments over for you.  The process is explained at
https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/howtoswitch/Pages/How.aspx#next

If you want a current account with a branch in Marple, I'd suggest the Nationwide.  Nationwide are about the only current account providers in the area committed to maintaining their branch network.  As a customer of the Nationwide myself, I can tell you the branch staff in Marple are very friendly and helpful.