Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111149 times)

marpleexile

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2019, 03:34:41 PM »
I want some of what Amazon's on..... (although I suspect it's probably illegal!)

What makes you say that.

My assumption is that whatever happens to Marple Pool's current site, be that a new leisure centre built in place, or redevelopment into something else entirely (probably housing), is that they would at least try to buy the corner plot to make it into one single development.

amazon

« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
To use the sorting office site, you would need to take part of the car park as well. 

If you look at the satellite imagery and compare the two, there's definitely more space at the current site - especially if you used the space between the building and pavement.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3944499,-2.0652427,122m/data=!3m1!1e3 <- current pool
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3930709,-2.063492,112m/data=!3m1!1e3 <- sorting office
could compulsory purchase the two shops on the corner making even more room still think parks best option put everything together .

amazon

« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2019, 10:35:57 AM »
Save the money and use it to improve the roads in and out of Marple so you can go to a larger and better equipped pool elsewhere. That way, we solve two problems. If (and I stress the word IF) Marple gets a new pool, it'll cost a fortune and to justify the cost, need to have people coming into Marple and use it from outside the locale. With our existing road infrastructure that's going to make an existing problem EVEN worse.
Marple needs to stop living in it's little bubble!
Grants would be available .

jimblob

« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »
Save the money and use it to improve the roads in and out of Marple so you can go to a larger and better equipped pool elsewhere. That way, we solve two problems. If (and I stress the word IF) Marple gets a new pool, it'll cost a fortune and to justify the cost, need to have people coming into Marple and use it from outside the locale. With our existing road infrastructure that's going to make an existing problem EVEN worse.
Marple needs to stop living in it's little bubble!

andrewbowden

« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2019, 10:43:41 PM »
To use the sorting office site, you would need to take part of the car park as well. 

If you look at the satellite imagery and compare the two, there's definitely more space at the current site - especially if you used the space between the building and pavement.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3944499,-2.0652427,122m/data=!3m1!1e3 <- current pool
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3930709,-2.063492,112m/data=!3m1!1e3 <- sorting office

amazon

« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
Thank you. Buxton Lane is already a rat-run with cars and commercial vehicles avoiding the traffic chaos at the Church Lane/Hibbert Lane roundabout and the Hibbert Lane/Stockport Road junction, particularly in the morning and at school chucking-out time, to say nothing of the evening rush hour. And heaven help us all at the traffic island at the entrance to the Willows housing estate when building is complete and all the houses inhabited.
And no busses sunday .the park is the best option but as i have said it wont suite every one .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »
As I've said before, the council do have the land, they own the old Peacefield playing field. The only access to this is through the college, next to the large sports hall.

Why not come to an arrangement with the college over use of facilities and build it there. There are the transport links, space for carparking etc etc and it could compliment the college's sports provision.

Andy
Thank you. Buxton Lane is already a rat-run with cars and commercial vehicles avoiding the traffic chaos at the Church Lane/Hibbert Lane roundabout and the Hibbert Lane/Stockport Road junction, particularly in the morning and at school chucking-out time, to say nothing of the evening rush hour. And heaven help us all at the traffic island at the entrance to the Willows housing estate when building is complete and all the houses inhabited.

amazon

« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Given the cost of building and maintaining such a facility, other people will need to come into Marple to use it though in order to make it commercially viable. You can't have it all ways
The park is a good option incoporate all other facilities there Library clinic old folks meeting rooms councill ofices whats left .of course they will be the dont want it on my back door

but you have to move on .we will see in the coming months what they come up with .

amazon

« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
Families wanting to take their children swimming of a weekend will want to drive, they're not going to get on a bus. As things stand, they're not going to drive into Marple and use Windlehurst because it'll then cost them a set of new suspension; they won't go via Stockport Road because at weekends, the A6 in Hazel Grove is gridlocked. They'll go elsewhere and probably have lunch afterwards at an out of town retail park. We need to get real about what kind of place Marple wants to be... a retirement village landlocked because of such a poor road connections or a town that brings in affluence which will in turn encourage businesses to set up here.
Not everyone has a car .

jimblob

« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
For the purpose of the subject header, I just want a sports / leisure facility in Marple, so I don't have to travel 'to far' by land, air or sea to get to it.
Given the cost of building and maintaining such a facility, other people will need to come into Marple to use it though in order to make it commercially viable. You can't have it all ways

PhilB

« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2019, 01:05:29 PM »
For the purpose of the subject header, I just want a sports / leisure facility in Marple, so I don't have to travel 'to far' by land, air or sea to get to it.

marpleexile

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »
We need to get real about what kind of place Marple wants to be... a retirement village landlocked because of such a poor road connections

I thought that the NIMBY attitudes of the various local societies (eg Marple Civic Society) that claim to speak on behalf of all residents had already made it clear that this is what "we" want.  >:(

jimblob

« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
Families wanting to take their children swimming of a weekend will want to drive, they're not going to get on a bus. As things stand, they're not going to drive into Marple and use Windlehurst because it'll then cost them a set of new suspension; they won't go via Stockport Road because at weekends, the A6 in Hazel Grove is gridlocked. They'll go elsewhere and probably have lunch afterwards at an out of town retail park. We need to get real about what kind of place Marple wants to be... a retirement village landlocked because of such a poor road connections or a town that brings in affluence which will in turn encourage businesses to set up here.

amazon

« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2019, 09:03:42 PM »
The college site is a short walk off Hibbert Lane.  Hibbert Lane is served by the hourly 375 bus (Mellor to Stockport via Stepping Hill), Monday to Saturday.  It is also served by the 394 (Glossop to Stepping Hill) that runs every two hours Monday to Friday.
NO buses sunday near there .

GM

« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »
Memorial park would be the best solution, with all the bus routes practically passing by its doorstep.
And being close enough for all the local schools to use including those in marple bridge, possibly without needing buses.

As a temporary solution whilst the existing library is replaced, the closed pool could be covered like they did in the past for winter dances and used as the library. I'm sure the scouts hut could be used for the community groups and given a grant to cover the costs of its additional use.