Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: 92-94 Church Lane Development  (Read 27999 times)

andrewbowden

Re: 92-94 Church Lane Development
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
If the Coop pulled out of the petrol station, someone else would simply take it over.  Thus Coop have no incentive to leave the site as it would create extra competition.

Having another store five minutes walk away is not likely to drastically dent profits 

amazon

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2019, 04:48:01 PM »
According to one of the assistants in the Co-op shop part of the Texaco station Co-op will remain on that site when the proposed Co-op shop on the Albert Schools site opens.

Mind you - the Co-op may well change it's mind.
Why should they its very profitable store

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »
Bloody hell I wish I never said it now.  I still don't think the COOP will give up the TEXACO station. Because it is established, very busy and they wont want another convenience / supermarket chain to take it over??

Not that it is relevant, I too buy fuel as an when I need it. I don't waste my time driving around wasting fuel trying to find a whopping saving on fuel prices. That would be just stupid.
According to one of the assistants in the Co-op shop part of the Texaco station Co-op will remain on that site when the proposed Co-op shop on the Albert Schools site opens.

Mind you - the Co-op may well change it's mind.

ringi

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
The front of the site needed piling and a lot of concete beams for the footing, I assume due to the old basement that was filled in.   Block/brickwork seems to be making progress at the back of the site.

I expect the footings needed to be measured by the steelworks company before the could start making the steals for the shop, as otherwise, it is not clear who to blame if they don't fit.

amazon

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »
I noticed the steel frame seemed to have appeared quite quickly the other day.  I was wondering if they were prioritising the retail unit to get it open.  But it could just be the that it's easier to get it up and running.
There was a very large crane on site saturday .

andrewbowden

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
In an attempt to veer the conversation away from petrol prices, I would say to this enquiry that there probably haven't been any particular problems with the "footings" but there will have been quite a lot of below ground works including drainage and foundations for the main structural steel frame, which you can now see going up. Things will appear to happen more quickly now.

I noticed the steel frame seemed to have appeared quite quickly the other day.  I was wondering if they were prioritising the retail unit to get it open.  But it could just be the that it's easier to get it up and running.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »
It's taking forever to get things going on the Albert Schools site. Is there a problem with footings for the new buildings?

In an attempt to veer the conversation away from petrol prices, I would say to this enquiry that there probably haven't been any particular problems with the "footings" but there will have been quite a lot of below ground works including drainage and foundations for the main structural steel frame, which you can now see going up. Things will appear to happen more quickly now.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »
Bloody hell I wish I never said it now.  I still don't think the COOP will give up the TEXACO station. Because it is established, very busy and they wont want another convenience / supermarket chain to take it over??

Not that it is relevant, I too buy fuel as an when I need it. I don't waste my time driving around wasting fuel trying to find a whopping saving on fuel prices. That would be just stupid.
Your learning .

PhilB

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »

Howard

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2019, 08:37:57 AM »
The Co-op don't own the Texaco fuel station. They are co-located and the Co-op just handle the transactions for Texaco. Therefore their prices are about right for the only other station in town, the Shell garage. I'm with Andrew on this; if I need to fill up I do it when I'm passing somewhere or just use the nearest. My time is worth more than the few pounds I'd save by driving out of town just to fill up.

andrewbowden

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2019, 11:04:55 PM »
The location of the cheapest petrol station is irrelevant! I was simply stating, by comparison, the coop inflate the fuel prices. You didn't need to waste your time calculating the 'whopping' difference in price per litre per mile !! I am aware of this basic calculation.
I don't think they will give up the station.

Given their prices are very similar to most over non supermarket petrol stations locally, perhaps they aren't inflating prices but major supermarkets are using petrol as a loss leader or promotional device (hint: they do.)

I would also say that 5p difference from the nearest supermarket is not inflated.  By the calculations I have given, it is clearly only a minor price difference.  Now if it was 20-30p different, I would say you may have a point.

PhilB

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2019, 11:01:13 PM »
The location of the cheapest petrol station is irrelevant! I was simply stating, by comparison, the coop inflate the fuel prices. You didn't need to waste your time calculating the 'whopping' difference in price per litre per mile !! I am aware of this basic calculation.

I don't think they will give up the station.

andrewbowden

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2019, 09:52:36 PM »
They make to much money on the over inflated fuel prices.
Diesel 132.9 versus cheapest in stockport - ASDA 123.7 !!

Not sure which Asda you're talking but the nearest Asda with a petrol station is Reddish.  Sainsburys at Hazel Grove was 127.9 last night.

Although to put that in context, 40 litres of diesel at Texaco at 132.9 would cost you £53.16
And 40 litres of diesel Sainsburys Hazel Grove would cost you £51.16 - a whopping £2 less.
And for comparison, 40 litres at a station with a price of 123.7 comes out at £49.48.  A saving of £3.86.

Yes the price is higher, but when you do the maths, you are simply not saving that much money going elsewhere.  If I'm going past a cheaper petrol station anyway and I need fuel, I'll fill up there.  But if I need to fill up and I'm not, well frankly the money I'm going to save rarely justifies going out of my way.

amazon

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2019, 09:39:24 PM »
Asda dont have .petrol in marple

PhilB

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2019, 09:14:25 PM »