Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Candidates and Relief Road Extension  (Read 10351 times)

marplerambler

Re: Candidates and Relief Road Extension
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
If the population is allowed to keep increasing we are going to have to build more and more houses, roads, schools, hospitals, etc.

It's no use complaining about loss of green space. People need to live somewhere. One day there will be no green space left.
Yes there will! It will be to the rear of or around those who are able to finance or have the political power to fight and win the 'Not in My Back Yard' battles.

Harry

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »
If the population is allowed to keep increasing we are going to have to build more and more houses, roads, schools, hospitals, etc.

It's no use complaining about loss of green space. People need to live somewhere. One day there will be no green space left.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 07:57:16 PM »
Personally,

I don't see more tarmac as being the answer to anything.

All that happens when we produce new roads is that after a period of time, they just add to the congestion. It's a cliché but more tarmac is just part of the problem and not part of the solution.
So what is the answer and the solution .

hatter76

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:24:32 PM »
It's a point well made Dave and I know that you are speaking in the context of the current situation and I cannot disagree with your comment, it is, 'desperately needed.' I know that the transport argument has raged on this website over the years, I have followed it with interest and I have no wish to re-ignite it today, but in the long term if the answer is always to be another/bigger/wider road then the answer will always be yet again another/bigger/wider road.   
If we just keep building more roads we are on a continuous cycle of congestion. However since most of this road is built its probably sensible to finish it off. I think that the current end point on the A6 near Hazel Grove is going to cause too many problems if left.

We need proper investment in the rail system, cycling etc.

Another related point, once you build a new road doesn't this then open up development opportunities along the route? The area around lower Bredbury and around the A6 junction in Havel Grove are mainly green fields. Will the new road lead to new development? I have no inside knowledge, is this a likely outcome?

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:38:32 PM »
As anyone who drives around this area knows, that road is desperately needed.  I understand Kevin's point about the way new roads can cause more traffic, but on the other hand, something has to be done about the A6 at Hazel Grove, and the link will also reduce congestion at other bottlenecks, such as Bents Lane Bredbury.

It's a point well made Dave and I know that you are speaking in the context of the current situation and I cannot disagree with your comment, it is, 'desperately needed.' I know that the transport argument has raged on this website over the years, I have followed it with interest and I have no wish to re-ignite it today, but in the long term if the answer is always to be another/bigger/wider road then the answer will always be yet again another/bigger/wider road.   

ringi

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:13 AM »
Partly we need to take tarmac away from private drivers on the A6……
For example as soon as the relief road opens, create a bus lane along the A6 in Hazel Grove.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
As anyone who drives around this area knows, that road is desperately needed.  I understand Kevin's point about the way new roads can cause more traffic, but on the other hand, something has to be done about the A6 at Hazel Grove, and the link will also reduce congestion at other bottlenecks, such as Bents Lane Bredbury.

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »
Personally,

I don't see more tarmac as being the answer to anything.

All that happens when we produce new roads is that after a period of time, they just add to the congestion. It's a cliché but more tarmac is just part of the problem and not part of the solution.

mikes

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:02:55 PM »
I thought this road was all agreed before the Labour party stopped all road building in 1997.  I understand that the golf course even moved several holes and greens to accommodate it.

Mr Brock

Candidates and Relief Road Extension
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
Lib Dems and Conservatives are trying to get Government funding to extend the Relief Road from Hazel Grove to Bredbury and the M60. What do local candidates of other parties think about this? There has been a serious lack of discussion about such a major project that will damage valued green spaces, most notably the Goyt Valley. It will cost upwards of half a billion which is public money that should be carefully used whether it comes from Government or Council. The onus should be on those proposing the scheme 1. to show that the endangered green spaces are not needed or valuable to Stockport, and 2. to prove that the new road will not be a further source of local congestion or become so bunged up after 10 or 15 years that yet another bypass will be needed. I hear that some Lib Dems are saying the Relief Road Extension is needed because the original A6-Airport Relief Road will send many more vehicles through Marple. I remember that the Marple Area Committee rubber-stamped the A6-Airport Relief Road despite being warned that it would increase congestion in Marple so I find the Lib Dem belated conversion to this view troubling. I recommend the May 8th Bluebell Walk by Goyt Valley SOS (2.30 outside Bredbury Hall – see www.facebook.com/GoytValleySOS/ ).