Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Elections 2016  (Read 21436 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Elections 2016
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 06:58:24 AM »
Good question Andy. It's important we know where candidates stand on wider issues, the fact that some might argue that our Councillor can have little impact on national issues is neither here nor there. Quite apart from the fact that they are wrong  I want to know I am voting for someone who holds the same views as me on these wider issues.

Why? The local council is not about to get involved in wider issues (good job too, they can't even run a market) so why care about wider issues.

My question, what steps will the candidates take to reduce council tax and latterly (when the system changes) business rates?

Do the candidates think there are more efficiencies to be gained within the council and to reduce staffing? If so, how quickly can this be done?

simonesaffron

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 06:43:29 AM »
I am sure neither her nor her team are taking it for granted at least so I'm told.

As you mention 2012 when the Leader won by only 24 she was in fact the only Labour facing LD in the North West to hold her seat that year.

I'm sure that in these better times, for the LDs  that is, a slightly bigger majority is anticipated.

But enough of Manor on a Marple web site.

It's a strange paradox Wheels, the way you are prepared to talk about the larger issues  on this "Marple Website" yet you don't wish to talk about the ward a few miles down the road on this "Marple Website." I know little of Manor Ward so I won't comment further on it BUT.

"...better times for the libdems..." You must inhabit a different world to mine. I don't have Hoffnung's in depth knowledge  of local politics but perhaps you can explain how the libdems are going to peg back, a 799 vote deficit in Hazel Grove,  628 votes in Marple South and 338 in Marple North. It isn't better times for the libdems it is decidedly worse. As a party they have lost much credibility with the electorate. Surely the General Election demonstrated that. In fact over the next few years, I expect to see them wiped out in Stockport altogether, the way they have been in Manchester.

I've been following Hoffnung's predictions with interest. I'll await his verdicts on the Marple's.

wheels

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
I am sure neither her nor her team are taking it for granted at least so I'm told.

As you mention 2012 when the Leader won by only 24 she was in fact the only Labour facing LD in the North West to hold her seat that year.

I'm sure that in these better times, for the LDs  that is, a slightly bigger majority is anticipated.

But enough of Manor on a Marple web site.

Hoffnung

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
And I'm sure Councillor D ( for one )isn't doing so.

Hoffnung

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »
Well I do know Manor reasonably well and you overstate in my view the importance of the Tory vote.  It hovers around 4% to 7%  . Those people will have turned out last year to vote Tory in the general election and probably voted UKIP locally as they were the hard core and we're never going to vote LD locally come what may.

This ward has been won every year by the LDs since 1999 , that's a long time. Even during the  bad years for the LDs it was held .  But we will see it is however fun reading your predictions. Lets revisit them on 6th May.

Wheels there was no OVERstating. I was just stating that there was no Conservative candidate last year, so therefore there was no Conservative vote. I agree traditionally it has been small as you say 7%at its best but that is still 200+ votes. Also whilst we are delving back in into the political history of Manor Ward, let's recall that Councillor Derbyshire held the seat with a majority of 24 in 2012. I predict a LD hold but it isn't to be taken for granted and I'm sure C

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 11:44:28 PM »
Hello Andy thanks for the question.

You're right in your assertion, in many cases local and national governments do work in symbiosis but just as many work in opposition. It usually depends on the political colour of both. The white papers that you refer is 125 pages thick and I haven't read it and I probably never will, so any opinion I offer will at best be an uninformed one. Councillor Geoff ( an honest man, a committed councillor and someone who has Marple's best interest at heart) is right, this issue impacts on Stockport and Marple.

Well, thank you kind sir!  you can be pretty much on the money yourself.  This only goes to prove that politic opponents can be respectful and friendly.

wheels

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
Actually I meant to say has been won every year bar one since 1999.

wheels

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
Apologies for the omission. I should have said that Labour will easily hold Reddish North and South.

Which brings us to Heald Green   
Long time councillor Peter Burns is standing down even so a certain shoe in for the new Ratepayers candidate.

Manor Ward
One of the interesting wards this. Currently occupied by the current leader of the council, Libdem Sue Derbyshire. Holding a significant majority from Patrick McAuley's victory last year. However that was in a general election year and with no Conservative candidate. This year there will be no Councillor McAuley (who has a rep as tireless campaigner and there will be a Conservative candidate. PREDICTION: Hold but only just.

Well I do know Manor reasonably well and you overstate in my view the importance of the Tory vote.  It hovers around 4% to 7%  . Those people will have turned out last year to vote Tory in the general election and probably voted UKIP locally as they were the hard core and we're never going to vote LD locally come what may.

This ward has been won every year by the LDs since 1999 , that's a long time. Even during the  bad years for the LDs it was held .  But we will see it is however fun reading your predictions. Lets revisit them on 6th May.

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
Hoffnung,

Even though like most former councillors/councillors I have a PhD in hindsight, I've learned not to do predictions. Your commentary nevertheless is very interesting. I'll particularly look out for your forthcoming Marple futuristic.

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
It is a local question. Removal of the LA from anything to do with education and handing significant swathes of land to central government will have a massive impact locally.

Many LA's are resisting the measures in the paper and are moving motions in defiance, this is having an impact on the parliamentary politicians from within those areas.

In many cases local and national government work in symbiosis.

I want to know if any of those standing in Marple North and Marple South support the White Paper and its contents.

Hello Andy thanks for the question.

You're right in your assertion, in many cases local and national governments do work in symbiosis but just as many work in opposition. It usually depends on the political colour of both. The white papers that you refer is 125 pages thick and I haven't read it and I probably never will, so any opinion I offer will at best be an uninformed one. Councillor Geoff ( an honest man, a committed councillor and someone who has Marple's best interest at heart) is right, this issue impacts on Stockport and Marple.

I'm a great believer in leaving most of the doctoring to the doctors, most of the policing to the coppers and most of the teaching to the teachers. I have a daughter and a niece both of whom are Head teachers and both of whom are furious with he content of this white paper. So on that basis, I'd probably be against it but as I SAY Andy an uninformed opinion.   

Hoffnung

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
Apologies for the omission. I should have said that Labour will easily hold Reddish North and South.

Long time councillor Peter Burns is standing down even so a certain shoe in for the new Ratepayers candidate.

Manor Ward
One of the interesting wards this. Currently occupied by the current leader of the council, Libdem Sue Derbyshire. Holding a significant majority from Patrick McAuley's victory last year. However that was in a general election year and with no Conservative candidate. This year there will be no Councillor McAuley (who has a rep as tireless campaigner and there will be a Conservative candidate. PREDICTION: Hold but only just.

Skip the Marples for the moment.

Offerton          
This one has been back and forth between Labour and Libdems in recent years. Just to complicate things even more, the standing candidate Laura Booth won the seat for Labour but then crossed the floor to the Libdems.
PREDICTION. Councillor Booth is the only candidate that lives in the ward and she has enogh name recognition to shade it, so libdem hold.

Stepping Hill

Conservatives just stole it last year from respected councillor Ben Alexander, with 163 votes . Resident libdem councillor Wendy Orrell standing down and former deputy leader Mark Weldon attempting to fill her shoes. Prediction Libdems have shot their bolt in this ward Conservative GAIN.

Both Marple seats later this week. 

Hoffnung

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 11:34:16 AM »

Let's have a look then.

Afew weeks age the scores were; Libdems 26, Labour 21. Conservaties 13. However the untimely death of Councillor Lenny Grice (Cheadle Hulme South) and the resignations of Patrick Mcauley and Mags Kirkham (Manor & Romiley respectively, have depleted the libdems to as you say 23.

In all, 21 seats are being contested. If we rule out the obvious ones which are almost certainly going to be easily held by the incumbent Councillor.

They are

Bramhall North C
Bramhall South C
Bredbury & Woodley LD
Brinnington L
Cheadle & Gatley LD   
Cheadle Hulme North LD
Davenport & Cale Green L
Edgeley L
Heatons North L
Heatons South L
Reddish North 

That leaves us with 10 remaining seats.

In Alphabetical order.

Bredbury Green & Romiley.
The veteran libdem incumbent councillor Hazel Lees is retiring  (good luck Councillor Lees) and her replacement candidate is the controversial Lisa Smart. Her conservative opponent is the lesser known Sally Bennet. This is a hard one to call. I t will either be Lisa or Sally the otheres are just making up the numbers. It will I think be the closest election in the borough and much will depend on how hard each campaigns. Assuming that they both work equally as hard. The libdems are currently on a down whereas the Conservatives are on an up. PREDICTION: CONSERVATIVES TO JUST SHADE IT: Con gain.

Cheadle Hulme South (all right Wheels)
This election sees Mark Hunter (ex LD M.P.) trying to make a comeback in local politics. He is facing Conservative  unknown Stephen Robinson. I think that Hunter will have too much in the tank for Mr Robinson, but it isn't a certainty. PREDICTION LD HOLD.

Hazel Grove
With the retirement of veteran incumbent LD Councillor Kevin Hogg and conservative gains at the last 2 elections, there is only one way this can go. PREDICTION CONSERVATIVE GAIN  BY A LANDSLIDE.

DO THE OTHERS TOMORROW.

Manor Ward

Skip the Marples for the moment.

Offerton          
This one has been back and forth between Labour and Libdems in recent years. Just to complicate things even more, the standing candidate Laura Booth won the seat for Labour but then crossed the floor to the Libdems.
PREDICTION. Councillor Booth is the only candidate that lives in the ward and she has enogh name recognition to shade it, so libdem hold.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
@CllrGeoffAbell

Thanks for alerting me to that meeting - I have just seen the webcast - good news.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
I am not up for election, so I did not really want to add my pennysworth, but the brilliant Dickens quote by Condate prompts me. 

Re council meetings: if we exclude the annual budget debate and the AGM, the normal full council meeting is effectively in 2 halves.
1) Questions to exec holders from councillors and members of the public.  This holds the decision makers to account and is mostly useful.  ("Mostly" because cllrs can ask 4 questions to each exec member and sometimes they ask the same question 4 times cos they don't get the answer they want or want to make a political point.)
2) Motions which are largely ineffectual because they are mostly on national policy and, if passed, result in the chief officer writing to a secretary of state, which is then ignored.

Except the last council.  where ALL parties (including the Tories) agreed in principle that the forced academisation of all schools was a mistake.  This DOES affect Stockport and Marple and with all in accord our voice is more likely to be heard.  But I cannot speak for the candidates, including the Lib Dem one.  But I agree with Andy.

And the biggest impact a councillor can have is in his (or her) local patch.  In this case Marple.  I am lucky enough to be able to do this job (and I do regard it as a job) full time.   And it's 95% Marple.  It also helps that I have colleagues I can turn to on the bigger questions.  But I am not part of a huge party machine; we are Lib Dems after all!  As Wheels said, it just really shows your political outlook.

So, for instance, when the government shovelled £0.9m our way a few months back (don't forget we lost another £21m this year) I was for spending it on funding-starved social services and parks.

And I do not do predictions!  But I am interested in what Hoffnung has to say.

And I still count Kevin Dowling as friend.  Just!!!!

This is me not contributing???  Sorry!

I know how I'd like Marple to improve, but my view is supremely unimportant for the next 3 weeks!

andy+kirsty

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »
Good question Andy. It's important we know where candidates stand on wider issues, the fact that some might argue that our Councillor can have little impact on national issues is neither here nor there. Quite apart from the fact that they are wrong  I want to know I am voting for someone who holds the same views as me on these wider issues.

It is a local question. Removal of the LA from anything to do with education and handing significant swathes of land to central government will have a massive impact locally.

Many LA's are resisting the measures in the paper and are moving motions in defiance, this is having an impact on the parliamentary politicians from within those areas.

In many cases local and national government work in symbiosis.

I want to know if any of those standing in Marple North and Marple South support the White Paper and its contents.