Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Elections 2016  (Read 21440 times)

Hoffnung

Re: Elections 2016
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 12:32:06 PM »
Geoff, what else would a hustings be only candidate specific? What else is a hustings about, only the candidates?

Anyway shouldn't your candidate be conducting this. He has been very conspicuous by his absence if you'll pardon the cliché. It appears that you are speaking for him.

Just another point, speculation really, on my part. What do you think of the libdems chances in Stockport this year ? I could ask Wheels but he'll only say that they will sweep all before them. You're a bit more rational. I think the score is currently; Libdem 23, Labour 21, Conservative 13 and some others

Specifically, relating to yourself, what are your chances in Marple North? To start with you are about 300 votes behind the

Conservatives on last year's count and the recent intervention of Kevin Dowling will surely take votes from you. 

Let's have a look then.

Afew weeks age the scores were; Libdems 26, Labour 21. Conservaties 13. However the untimely death of Councillor Lenny Grice (Cheadle Hulme South) and the resignations of Patrick Mcauley and Mags Kirkham (Manor & Romiley respectively, have depleted the libdems to as you say 23.

In all, 21 seats are being contested. If we rule out the obvious ones which are almost certainly going to be easily held by the incumbent Councillor.

They are

Bramhall North C
Bramhall South C
Bredbury & Woodley LD
Brinnington L
Cheadle & Gatley LD   
Cheadle Hulme North LD
Davenport & Cale Green L
Edgeley L
Heatons North L
Heatons South L
Reddish North 

That leaves us with 10 remaining seats.

In Alphabetical order.

Bredbury Green & Romiley.
The veteran libdem incumbent councillor Hazel Lees is retiring  (good luck Councillor Lees) and her replacement candidate is the controversial Lisa Smart. Her conservative opponent is the lesser known Sally Bennet. This is a hard one to call. I t will either be Lisa or Sally the otheres are just making up the numbers. It will I think be the closest election in the borough and much will depend on how hard each campaigns. Assuming that they both work equally as hard. The libdems are currently on a down whereas the Conservatives are on an up. PREDICTION: CONSERVATIVES TO JUST SHADE IT: Con gain.

Cheadle Hulme South (all right Wheels)
This election sees Mark Hunter (ex LD M.P.) trying to make a comeback in local politics. He is facing Conservative  unknown Stephen Robinson. I think that Hunter will have too much in the tank for Mr Robinson, but it isn't a certainty. PREDICTION LD HOLD.

Hazel Grove
With the retirement of veteran incumbent LD Councillor Kevin Hogg and conservative gains at the last 2 elections, there is only one way this can go. PREDICTION CONSERVATIVE GAIN  BY A LANDSLIDE.

DO THE OTHERS TOMORROW.

wheels

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »
Hi Geoff

Where do you stand on the Education White Paper 'Excellent Education Everywhere' and the impact of forced academisation of all schools?

Thanks
Andy

Good question Andy. It's important we know where candidates stand on wider issues, the fact that some might argue that our Councillor can have little impact on national issues is neither here nor there. Quite apart from the fact that they are wrong  I want to know I am voting for someone who holds the same views as me on these wider issues.

JohnBates

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Council elections are, or should be, about issues the council can do something about. National issues where the council has to implement whatever government has decided are relevant in so far as the candidates have to explain how they are going to implement things. National issues as such, where however much the council may support or oppose the government's policies, it can do nothing to change them, are not relevant at all.

entirely agree with this.

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
Council elections are, or should be, about issues the council can do something about. National issues where the council has to implement whatever government has decided are relevant in so far as the candidates have to explain how they are going to implement things. National issues as such, where however much the council may support or oppose the government's policies, it can do nothing to change them, are not relevant at all.

Party politics are completely irrelevant. I would much rather all candidates were independents. That would not guarantee a sensible council, but it would get rid of the silly arguments and spurious disagreements which plague councils. Sadly, all too many towns and boroughs resemble all too closely Eatanswill as described in The Pickwick Papers.

"It appears, then, that the Eatanswill people, like the people of many
other small towns, considered themselves of the utmost and most mighty
importance, and that every man in Eatanswill, conscious of the weight
that attached to his example, felt himself bound to unite, heart and
soul, with one of the two great parties that divided the town--the Blues
and the Buffs. Now the Blues lost no opportunity of opposing the
Buffs, and the Buffs lost no opportunity of opposing the Blues; and
the consequence was, that whenever the Buffs and Blues met together
at public meeting, town-hall, fair, or market, disputes and high words
arose between them. With these dissensions it is almost superfluous
to say that everything in Eatanswill was made a party question. If the
Buffs proposed to new skylight the market-place, the Blues got up
public meetings, and denounced the proceeding; if the Blues proposed the
erection of an additional pump in the High Street, the Buffs rose as
one man and stood aghast at the enormity."

Entirely agree Condate.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 08:30:37 AM »
Hi Geoff

Where do you stand on the Education White Paper 'Excellent Education Everywhere' and the impact of forced academisation of all schools?

Thanks
Andy

Condate

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:28:42 AM »

Party politics are completely irrelevant. I would much rather all candidates were independents. That would not guarantee a sensible council, but it would get rid of the silly arguments and spurious disagreements which plague councils. Sadly, all too many towns and boroughs resemble all too closely Eatanswill as described in The Pickwick Papers.

"It appears, then, that the Eatanswill people, like the people of many
other small towns, considered themselves of the utmost and most mighty
importance, and that every man in Eatanswill, conscious of the weight
that attached to his example, felt himself bound to unite, heart and
soul, with one of the two great parties that divided the town--the Blues
and the Buffs. Now the Blues lost no opportunity of opposing the
Buffs, and the Buffs lost no opportunity of opposing the Blues; and
the consequence was, that whenever the Buffs and Blues met together
at public meeting, town-hall, fair, or market, disputes and high words
arose between them. With these dissensions it is almost superfluous
to say that everything in Eatanswill was made a party question. If the
Buffs proposed to new skylight the market-place, the Blues got up
public meetings, and denounced the proceeding; if the Blues proposed the
erection of an additional pump in the High Street, the Buffs rose as
one man and stood aghast at the enormity."

simonesaffron

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:12:43 AM »
Geoff, what else would a hustings be only candidate specific? What else is a hustings about, only the candidates?

Anyway shouldn't your candidate be conducting this. He has been very conspicuous by his absence if you'll pardon the cliché. It appears that you are speaking for him.

Just another point, speculation really, on my part. What do you think of the libdems chances in Stockport this year ? I could ask Wheels but he'll only say that they will sweep all before them. You're a bit more rational. I think the score is currently; Libdem 23, Labour 21, Conservative 13 and some others

Specifically, relating to yourself, what are your chances in Marple North? To start with you are about 300 votes behind the Conservatives on last year's count and the recent intervention of Kevin Dowling will surely take votes from you. 

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 08:53:29 PM »
We are not having a hustings in these local elections in Marple.  I want to know what people are passionate about.  Or "merely" vaguely like.  I don't especially want to post here (sorry Dave - you asked a good question).  I just wanted to create a space that wasn't candidate-specific. 

simoneaffron you are free to do the same.  It's a democracy.

simonesaffron

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
Singular local politicians can have very little influence over the big issues.

As far as I am concerned local politicians should point their time and energy to local issues. That will be the candidate that will get my vote anyway.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »
It's a perfectly reasonable enquiry, Geoff, and it's good to have an open question like this from a candidate.

The trouble is, we all know that local authorities are limited in what they can do nowadays by the relentless cuts in funding.

That said, I think the elections should be fought on the big issues rather than potholes and pavements.  For example,  education, transport and social services.  On the last of these, I wonder whether Geoff can give a view on whether, when or how the government's delegation of the entire healthcare budget to the Greater Manchester local authorities might have an impact on key social services in Stockport such as care for the elderly?

simonesaffron

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
Geoff,

Please don't try and lead the debate, it isn't yours to do so, instead follow it and contribute. This not a lib dem forum nor a Council forum, it's a Marple people's forum.

I for one am pleased to have the contributions of a sitting Councillor and for me you are most welcome on this forum. Nevertheless all these topics and more have been discussed many times over the years and if you hadn't been such johnny- chum- lately (there you go Russ we're back in the 60s) to this forum, you would know this.

And before you start your response with the words ...'I merely,' then please desist.

CllrGeoffAbell

Elections 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
Rather than having topics for just 1 candidate, I thought we could discuss what topics make a good council and what attributes make a good Marple councillor.

I'll start by saying, the last full council had a more relevant motion, agreed by all sides.  See below.

http://marple.mycouncillor.org.uk/2016/04/10/academies-and-your-local-council/#page-content

What fires you up?  Parks, potholes, social services?  Libraries, planning, transport?