Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2016?  (Read 42578 times)

Hoffnung

Re: Who are the Candidates for Local Councillor in May 2016?
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 12:25:49 PM »
I've heard on the grapevine that Marple North UKIP Candidate Ray Jones did not complete his "Consent to Nominate" form in time and will not be able to take part in the election.

Does anyone else know if this is correct?

That is very interesting admin, I heard the same thing. So all the UKIP voters out there in Marple North you have no candidate.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »
Nominated candidates for Marple North are as attached

I've heard on the grapevine that Marple North UKIP Candidate Ray Jones did not complete his "Consent to Nominate" form in time and will not be able to take part in the election.

Does anyone else know if this is correct?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
Thanks again Harry.

Harry

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »
Thanks Harry, interesting piece of information, can you recall, was it North or South?

It would have been Marple North. My ward, and I know Barry, hence the memory.

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
I don't know, salemoorgirl he probably had a long ladder. the location of the poster you have posted is obviously a well known bar in Town Street, Marple Bridge. Anyway come on Kevin, we've seen the posters (very eye catching they are too) and we've seen your name on the candidate's list.  I may be wrong, but I don't think that we've had an independent candidate stand in Marple before. A friend of mine who is nearly 70 yrs old and has lived here all his life, says he can't recall one.   

It's all very intriguing which makes a change for a local election and I for one will certainly consider voting for you but perhaps by now Kevin we're due a few words.

A reasonable request Simone, watch this space.

Kevin Dowling

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
About 15 years ago Barry Minshall (sp?) stood as an independent candidate. Obviously he didn't get in.

Thanks Harry, interesting piece of information, can you recall, was it North or South? 

Harry

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »
..... I may be wrong, but I don't think that we've had an independent candidate stand in Marple before. A friend of mine who is nearly 70 yrs old and has lived here all his life, says he can't recall one.   

About 15 years ago Barry Minshall (sp?) stood as an independent candidate. Obviously he didn't get in.

simonesaffron

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 07:55:23 AM »
how on earth did they get this poster up there? 

I don't know, salemoorgirl he probably had a long ladder. the location of the poster you have posted is obviously a well known bar in Town Street, Marple Bridge. Anyway come on Kevin, we've seen the posters (very eye catching they are too) and we've seen your name on the candidate's list.  I may be wrong, but I don't think that we've had an independent candidate stand in Marple before. A friend of mine who is nearly 70 yrs old and has lived here all his life, says he can't recall one.   

It's all very intriguing which makes a change for a local election and I for one will certainly consider voting for you but perhaps by now Kevin we're due a few words.

ta41700

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »
Seems we may have an Independent Candidate standing, see photo of signs that have been up a few days now. Kevin Dowling was LibDem councillor for Marple South, however it is not yet clear if he is standing for Marple South or Marple North where he lives.
how on earth did they get this poster up there? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Condate

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 05:16:49 PM »
I think one major problem with this election is that it isn't really a local election at all. Both Marple North and Marple South are absurdly large wards which make it very difficult if not impossible to people to really know the candidates. In a real local election, there would be far, far fewer electors per ward and the ward would be small enough so that the candidates could be know personally by all the voters.  When you look at the map, or see where the posters are for Marple South for example, it's clear it covers areas which are not really Marple at all and have different problems and needs from areas at the opposite end of the ward.  Perhaps dividing the ward into three single member wards would help. Maybe we even need more councillors, so wards can be sufficiently local that the views of local communities can be better represented.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
Yes it should be an interesting election in both Marples North and South. 
This is a local election, one of the few times there isn't another election going on at the same time.

It'll be interesting to see what extra each of the candidates brings to this local contest.

JMC

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »
Diverse range of people ranging from age 18.

JMC

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 10:08:13 PM »
That's great, thanks John.

JohnBates

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
Nominated Candidates for Marple South

JohnBates

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
Nominated candidates for Marple North are as attached