Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: CRT Consultation on Marple Aqueduct fencing [Ends 31 January 2015]  (Read 13657 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: CRT Consultation on Marple Aqueduct fencing [Ends 31 January 2015]
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
Some more shots of the ongoing repairs and improvements down at the Aqueduct from Arthur uploaded this morning:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-44

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

Aqueduct Repairs
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
   Some Great photos of repair work going on by Arthur

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
Some photos by Arthur of repairs being carried out on the Aqueduct have been uploaded to the Virtual Tour this morning.

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-44

Don't forget about giving your views on the C&RT Aqueduct Fencing consultation before 31 January too.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

hollins

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
I think it probably does need safety fencing (just in case Howard and Water Rat try to relive their youth!) The example from the Paddock aqueduct looks the safest and the Pontardawe aqueduct the prettiest.

I suspect any of these steel options would need painting every few years, however.

Water Rat

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
Having looked at the examples of fencing proposed by the CRT on the link the example used at Paddock Aqueduct seems the most appropriate if there has to be some form of safety fencing.  I am not sure how much of a risk factor actually exists for the boating fraternity as the non-towpath side is quite broad and having canoed across the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct that is far more intimidating.

I am not aware of any accidents at Marple in the last 50 years but prevention is perhaps a wise course.  I am assuming that a stone parapet to match the other side is not feasible from a cost and construction point of view.

Water Rat

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »
I should remember - but cannot - but did there used to be a parapet on the non-towpath side before it collapsed in 1962?

Like Howard I was guilty of making the jump - it seems like it was a rite of passage in those far off days although I was pretty careful to get the angle right.

Howard

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
I have to say that I was guilty of jumping across there in my teenage years. Pretty sure I wouldn't chance it now though...

Dave

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »
I'm told, some people are daft enough to jump over the cut for a dare!

I would have thought that putting up a railing on the far side would only tend to encourage more crazy people to try that!.....   ::)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
CRT Consultation on Marple Aqueduct fencing [Ends 31 January 2015]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »
The Canal and River Trust is consulting on proposals to add safety railings to Marple Aqueduct on the side opposite the tow path, where it is possible to disembark from a boat onto this area with no protection from a fall and, I'm told, some people are daft enough to jump over the cut for a dare! If you have a view on this then follow the link to the C&RT web site and have your say before 31 January next year.

It's important that local people give their views.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/consultations/current-consultations

Quote from: Canal and River Trust
Marple Aqueduct

Marple Aqueduct, on the Peak Forest Canal, is undergoing over half a million pounds worth of repair, conservation and access improvement work as part of the Heritage Lottery funded Revealing Oldknow’s Legacy project.

The anticipated increase in visitor numbers following the improvements has led to a safety review of the Aqueduct that concluded additional measures are required to reduce risk to visitors.

The safety fence will be to be part of wider gateway improvements including vegetation clearance to reveal the sweep of the Aqueduct, gateway markers, suitable safety signage and improved green space at the entry points to the Aqueduct, creating a sense of arrival at the Grade 1 Listed structure and Scheduled Ancient Monument.

We have a number of examples of safety fencing and railing used in other locations on our network and visuals illustrating one fencing option.

You can also take a look at the approach to Marple Aqueduct

We would like to gather your feedback on the safety fencing options and the plans for wider gateway improvements. Comments can be made by email aqueduct.fence@canalrivertrust.org.uk

The consultation period will be open until January 31st 2015.

Following the outcome of this consultation the Canal & River Trust will seek Listed Building consent and Scheduled Ancient Monument consent to carry out the preferred options. Statutory consultation will be conducted at this stage.

Further information about the Revealing Oldknow’s Legacy project is available at www.canalrivertrust.org/Oldknow

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website