A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Chadwick Street / Asda / Aldi  (Read 25402 times)

Rudolph Hucker

Re: Chadwick Street / Asda / Aldi
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
Any chance of splitting this topic in 3?

I guess it started out something to do with Chadwick Street, morphed into a (fairly interesting) discussion on whether the Asda takeover of the Co-op was still on, and is now about to descend into a spat about Tax Credits and Daily Mail sensationalism...

Back to the Co-op... Was it ever established who owned the car park? I have a vague recollection there was some doubt as to whether to Co-op had legal title. If they don't I suspect the Asda lawyers are currently tying themselves in knots....

RH.

amazon

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
Have just been into the Co-op and asked a member of staff if there was any basis for the rumours that Asda were thinking again about taking over.  I was assured that there wasn't, and in fact some Asda staff were actually in today sorting plans out.  So, we just wait and see ...........

soon be feb ,

Barbara

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
Have just been into the Co-op and asked a member of staff if there was any basis for the rumours that Asda were thinking again about taking over.  I was assured that there wasn't, and in fact some Asda staff were actually in today sorting plans out.  So, we just wait and see ...........

Dave

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »
I heard a rumour that Aldi were looking round the Coop.. Surely it is too big though for them and I thought Asda was a done deal.

Done deals can become undone deals. I became a bit suspicious when the handover date was put back from September to next Feb.  'The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings', as they say.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »
I heard a rumour that Aldi were looking round the Coop.. Surely it is too big though for them and I thought Asda was a done deal.
Not so sure about the Co-op being too big for Aldi's purposes. The Glossop Aldi isn't a lot smaller and that has dreadful parking.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »
so why have they just buiit a new one in Redish ,
There was a snippet on the news yesterday about Aldi announcing plans to spend £600m on more stores and to employ 35,000 more staff.

Obviously not in the next few weeks and the number of employment places have been questioned by "a retail analyst", what ever one of those is.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
Something doesn't need to be "for sale" for it to be saleable.

Dave

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »

Because it was already being planned two or three years ago, when the big supermarket chains were still making good money.  Times have changed.

amazon

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
It wonder if a standard Aldi store woukd fit in the footprint currently occupied by Duddys?

why is Duddys still for sale .no parking

amazon

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
Just a sneaky feeling - I may be wrong.  Look at the financial difficulties all the big supermarket chains are in.  Is this a time for expansion?  It doesn't feel like it! 

Barbara

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
I do hope you are wrong Dave - I have nothing against Aldi and shop there regularly, but you can't get everything there (nor at the Co-op, of course).  There are already four Aldi stores within easy reach, with adequate parking and access by public transport.

Dave

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Co-op ended up as an Aldi.

alstan

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »
Poynton keeps marching on, four supermarkets in the town centre, and now Aldi have purchased a site in the town which already has planning permission for a supermarket

JMC

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »

Bowden Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
It wonder if a standard Aldi store woukd fit in the footprint currently occupied by Duddys?