To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238387 times)

Dave

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »
"Social engineering" and "rapid decline"...what are you on about?
Indeed.  It's nonsense. 

However, I was interested in this bit of Howard's post:
And this attitude, my friends, is why Marple gets its reputation of being snobbish and elitist.
Maybe I'm out of touch, but I have never been aware that Marple had such a reputation, and if it has, I'm not sure it's justified.  I've heard it said of places like Bramhall and Hale Barns, but Marple is a much less pretentious and more socially mixed area than those - and that's one reason why some of us like living here.

Howard

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
ASDA is a retailer of low quality produce and traditionally does well in poor areas because it is cheaper than most other Supermarkets. The fact that it is moving here is yet another indicator that Marple is a town moving into rapid decline. For that you can thank Stockport Council and our local Liberal representatives for their experiments in social engineering. The Co-op was bad enough but I have absolutely no intention of using the ASDA store because I would not eat, or feed my family with, the low quality food it sells. I would urge any other Marple resident who feels the same to boycott this store and not patronise it even for non-food purchases.

And this attitude, my friends, is why Marple gets its reputation of being snobbish and elitist. "Social engineering" and "rapid decline"...what are you on about? The true indicator of how desirable a place is to live is house prices which are holding up extremely well in the area. Marple is in a fantastic area for outdoor pursuits, has extremely well-attended sporting clubs (football, rugby, swimming), a vibrant Scouting and Guiding movement and many other things to recommend it. Doing the place down just because Asda is coming here to replace a moribund Co-op is pathetic.

alstan

« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
ASDA is a retailer of low quality produce and traditionally does well in poor areas because it is cheaper than most other Supermarkets. The fact that it is moving here is yet another indicator that Marple is a town moving into rapid decline. For that you can thank Stockport Council and our local Liberal representatives for their experiments in social engineering. The Co-op was bad enough but I have absolutely no intention of using the ASDA store because I would not eat, or feed my family with, the low quality food it sells. I would urge any other Marple resident who feels the same to boycott this store and not patronise it even for non-food purchases.

Absolute nonsense. I suspect that Asda will still be a "Marple Resident" long after you have gone!

Duke Fame

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
I too find Asda great. I hope they do the George clothing range.

A lot of the supply chain for supermarkets is the same whatever the supermarket. In fairness to the co-op, they had diversified into farming supply and some suppliers are exclusive to the Co-op. Morrisons have similar arrangements. Asda will share suppliers with the other big boys. When I was a lad having a PT job in Tesco, we'd regularly have deliveries that had Waitrose or Sainsbuy stickered fruit & veg in with the Tesco stuff.

I can understand parents hoping for 'George' clothing for kids but for adult clothing, it's really not good quality so you end up with a false economy of buying cheap and buying twice. Far Better to try Copenhagen or Becky sues in Marple or Eternal Envy in Stockport for ladies wear.

JMC

« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »
I too find Asda great. I hope they do the George clothing range.

nipper14

« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
Personally, I think Asda is an excellent place to shop. We do our main shop at their store in Hyde. Of course, there is a lot of rubbish food but if you swerve away from that there is excellent VFM to be found.

I also think Asda is value for money. They also sell some poorer quality goods, but you don't have to buy them.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
Personally, I think Asda is an excellent place to shop. We do our main shop at their store in Hyde. Of course, there is a lot of rubbish food but if you swerve away from that there is excellent VFM to be found.

simonesaffron

« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »

I think that you've got a pretty forlorn hope there MarpleRes but what a wonderful example of snootiness your post was. I ENJOYED IT TREMENDOUSLY.  ..."experiments in social engineering..." - wonderful stuff.   

Dave

« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »
you can thank Stockport Council and our local Liberal representatives for their experiments in social engineering.

Eh?   ???  What's that all about?

amazon

« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
The staff will be TUPIED in the normal way its not some special reward they are getting.

I know makes you wonder how many will stay when they take over they wont be able tp walk around with hands in pockets .or stand talking .

wheels

« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
All the staff have been given increase in wages and stiil have there ten percent on what they buy ....

The staff will be TUPIED in the normal way its not some special reward they are getting.

wheels

« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
All the staff have been given increase in wages and stiil have there ten percent on what they buy ....

20% staff discount today

amazon

« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Always good to get a positive contribution

wheels

« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

Always good to get a positive contribution

MarpleRes

« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »