RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Marple " Rec" Recreational ground  (Read 14118 times)

corium

Re: Marple " Rec" Recreational ground
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »
I thought from a discussion c 12+ months ago re an application to turn the toilets into a barbers that the rec was protected by covenants which have been enforced in the past?

Condate

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »
A sad reflection of the times we live in, and the slow demise of the public domain.

It goes like this.  Government slashes funding for local authorities.  Local authorities close public toilets, and remove children's play equipment and sports pitches.  They cut back on park staff, ground maintenance and grass cutting.  The drainage needs sorting out, but there is no-one to do it.   Eventually it falls into disuse, people say 'it might as well be built on' and another open space disappears.

I suppose the question is, why leave it to the council? We do sometimes expect local authorities to do things which we can perfectly well do ourselves.

wheels

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 12:55:11 PM »
All because we are not willing to pay a decent level of taxation.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
A sad reflection of the times we live in, and the slow demise of the public domain.

It goes like this.  Government slashes funding for local authorities.  Local authorities close public toilets, and remove children's play equipment and sports pitches.  They cut back on park staff, ground maintenance and grass cutting.  The drainage needs sorting out, but there is no-one to do it.   Eventually it falls into disuse, people say 'it might as well be built on' and another open space disappears.   

simonesaffron

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:57:24 AM »
I did hear that a plan to build on it was being explored.

Perhaps that's the reason for the apparent neglect. I pass it 2/3 times a week and I rarely see anybody using it save a solitary dog walker. 

hatter76

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:57 PM »
Water half way between the newish bench and the goal posts and at the bottom where the tree line is along the road

amazon

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
Noticed that Marple rec is very wet again. Standing water in several places! I thought that the drains had been sorted out.
It has been raining a lot' were is it very wet.

hatter76

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
Noticed that Marple rec is very wet again. Standing water in several places! I thought that the drains had been sorted out.

Cyberman

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
It's obviouse (sic) that you don't read the postings on Marple website .
I consider myself a regular visitor to the site. Have seen HARDLY ANY posts concerning the Oldknow Rd "Rec". Enlighten us Amazon - what have we missed?

It is a very good quiet open space to fly (small) model aeroplanes - I have used it for this purpose. But it does seem to be used as an evening drinking spot by the local youngsters = lots of litter the morning after.

Howard

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »
It's obviouse that you don't read the postings on Marple website .

Amazon, it is OBVIOUS from looking at Nick's post count that this his very first post. Instead of a passive/agressive post to point it out, why don'y you add more to your post. Why do you think it's obvious? Is there more news that you know about the Rec that others don't? As a veteran of Marple and of this local forum what options would you suggest?

Nick, welcome to the site. I also recall playing football for the cubs at the Rec but it has become sadly neglected. Stockport's closing of the public toilets has made it even more unappealing and Memorial Park is now so nice, thanks to the "Friends" group, that I imagine most people will chose that or Brabyns. As far as I can see, The Rec, is almost exclusively used by people exercising their dogs.

amazon

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
Having lived in Marple for years now and, as  a child, having played football on the rec (as a cub scout), and now many years later, to walk my dog daily. isn't it about time something was done with the field.. I know much has been spent on the memorial park and what a fantastic job too, but the "rec" as I have known it all my life, seems to get neglected. The play area is slowly disappearing, with only a few old swings left, and the field itself is a permanent "swamp", even in the summer months. (Check out where the moles choose to dig!!!!) I think some serious drainage needs to be put in place, and the play area needs updating, maybe even a few more benches for a picnic area..

It's obviouse that you don't read the postings on Marple website .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
Sounds like you need to start a Friends of Marple Recreation Ground Nick.

That's the only way you are going to get anything done - look at the model provided by Friends of Cromwell Avenue Park, they have secured substantial funds to improve their small park / play area recently.

Friends of Marple Memorial Park have recently done their bit on the Rec - although this is outside our remit we have refurbished the two picnic benches (April and May task days) and had the old water fountain cleaned as part of our Karcher Cleans Britain prize:

http://www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/task-days/task-days-in-2013.html

http://www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/projects/karcher-clean-up.html

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

nicksheldon

Marple " Rec" Recreational ground
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »
 Having lived in Marple for years now and, as  a child, having played football on the rec (as a cub scout), and now many years later, to walk my dog daily. isn't it about time something was done with the field.. I know much has been spent on the memorial park and what a fantastic job too, but the "rec" as I have known it all my life, seems to get neglected. The play area is slowly disappearing, with only a few old swings left, and the field itself is a permanent "swamp", even in the summer months. (Check out where the moles choose to dig!!!!) I think some serious drainage needs to be put in place, and the play area needs updating, maybe even a few more benches for a picnic area..