Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Marple " Rec" Recreational ground  (Read 14068 times)

Mr Marple

Re: Marple " Rec" Recreational ground
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »
MLIH - I recall you made an offer to be the proposed groups pen pusher/motivator. What is really needed is people doing things rather than talking about it.

I cannot believe that this whole conversation about neglect has been going on for so long without anyone commenting that Marple, five and a bit years ago chose a LibDem MP whose very first action as MP in the new Parliament was to team up with the Conservatives knowing full well that this would lead to a destruction of local services, parks, hanging baskets in the centre of Marple as part of Stockport in Bloom etc, etc, etc. I cannot believe that anyone electing a Tory MP for our at the recent election could give a damn about derelict parks, closed public loos, appalling car for the elderly and disabled (I understand that the latest cutbacks in local authority spending will result in the cessation of Meals on wheels), fewer police officers and the NHS going bust.

Marple voted Tory. The Tories couldn't give a damn about services to the public unless they are provided for free by volunteers with a moral conscience. Marple is an area of affluent, intelligent people who knew the consequences when before they voted for a Tory government - low taxes, minimal provision of services other than through volunteers or profit-making private companies and even greater polarisation of rich and poor.

Marple will get what it voted for: low taxes at the cost a total disregard for the things that make an area pleasant to live in such as parks or public loos for the aging population and a total lack of morals or conscience.

Considering what some have said, I agree that the people should be more involved in their community and speak up and do something about issues affecting their community. Of course this might be hard for people with families etc. And yet they can easily communicate via a phone call or an email or text if possible to the right/relevant contact.

Volunteering is a good idea but if you choose to do it then do it out of the goodness of your own heart.

Marplerambler's post is quite right and seems passionate and can not be defined as "hysterical".

Gazwhite is also quite right that people should be equal in their verbal and physical actions otherwise we all risk losing things.

FOMMP/TaskDay is very worthy of your consideration, why not?

simonesaffron

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »
All Old Hat, Marple Rambler and been said on this site a hundred times before.

Also a little hysterical. Nevertheless not without some points of truth.

simonesaffron

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »
Responding Admin,

To your point about 'covenants.' They are indeed 'real' and can be used to cause disturbance to plans. On their own though they are little more than a hiccup to one of determination.

In the two examples that you quoted if my recall is clear both the toilet staying open and the Band taking over the park house had the support of the, then local Councillors. In their time the Marple 6 were very community minded and could be a pretty formidable bunch, all being of the same party and three of them holding Executive positions on the Council. In those days Marple had political clout.  The local political scene is not like that now and is going to be even ore diluted after the next election in May.

As well as this you can't really compare Stockport's flagship park to the Rec, which is flooded, neglected and used exclusively these days as a dog toilet. If somebody wants to put twenty apartments on there, it will take more than a covenant or two to stop them.

gazwhite

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
MLIH - I recall you made an offer to be the proposed groups pen pusher/motivator. What is really needed is people doing things rather than talking about it.

corium

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »
Perhaps the community dig over half term will help sort it out as I understand they are digging on the rec. see bottom left at:

http://oldknows.com/

Condate

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
A long time back when this thread first started, someone (Admin?) suggested that we should form a "Friends of the Rec" group. There was, I think, only one reply in the affirmative, to the suggestion.

If you aren't prepared to do anything about it stop carping on about whose fault it is. It's your's!!!

That was long before I joined the forum, so I could hardly reply. Surely if everyone contributed a sum of money towards getting the drainage fixed, it would be done much more quickly that if we left it to the council. Of course if there were an appeal for funds, I'd contribute. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost?

hatter76

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
I did hear that a plan to build on it was being explored.

Simonesaffron is this just speculation or is it from a credible contact?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »
I suppose the question is, why leave it to the council? We do sometimes expect local authorities to do things which we can perfectly well do ourselves.
A long time back when this thread first started, someone (Admin?) suggested that we should form a "Friends of the Rec" group. There was, I think, only one reply in the affirmative, to the suggestion.

If you aren't prepared to do anything about it stop carping on about whose fault it is. It's your's!!!

marplerambler

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
I cannot believe that this whole conversation about neglect has been going on for so long without anyone commenting that Marple, five and a bit years ago chose a LibDem MP whose very first action as MP in the new Parliament was to team up with the Conservatives knowing full well that this would lead to a destruction of local services, parks, hanging baskets in the centre of Marple as part of Stockport in Bloom etc, etc, etc. I cannot believe that anyone electing a Tory MP for our at the recent election could give a damn about derelict parks, closed public loos, appalling car for the elderly and disabled (I understand that the latest cutbacks in local authority spending will result in the cessation of Meals on wheels), fewer police officers and the NHS going bust.

Marple voted Tory. The Tories couldn't give a damn about services to the public unless they are provided for free by volunteers with a moral conscience. Marple is an area of affluent, intelligent people who knew the consequences when before they voted for a Tory government - low taxes, minimal provision of services other than through volunteers or profit-making private companies and even greater polarisation of rich and poor.

Marple will get what it voted for: low taxes at the cost a total disregard for the things that make an area pleasant to live in such as parks or public loos for the aging population and a total lack of morals or conscience.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
Well, at the moment, we pay an indecent level of taxation.

So where is it all going then?  We've got derelict parks, closed public loos, closed libraries,appalling care for the elderly and disabled, fewer and fewer police officers, and the NHS going bust.  The money must be going somewhere...........

amazon

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
Yes,

I recall some talk on here of a covenant some time ago but it may have just been speculation.

Anyway; Covenants, Wayleaves & Easements as they are often collectively known can almost always be removed. This is at a cost, sometimes only a few thousand pounds  but can run to much more, involving applications, compensations and last but not least lawyers fees.

It wouldn't be worth the cost of the application for covenant removal, to change a public convenience to a barbers shop but for a bigger project it might be. It would depend upon how much money was in the project.

As I say a barber's shop no, but a block of flats who knows?     
     Or a bigger Asda .

Condate

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 11:44:31 AM »
All because we are not willing to pay a decent level of taxation.

Well, at the moment, we pay an indecent level of taxation. I can't recall a time when the level was low enough to be called decent.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
The covenants are real enough, same / similar as the ones that protect Marple Memorial Park. As already recorded, Marple Civic Society was able to use them to stop the toilets being used for business purposes and the ones covering the park prevented the council from disposing of the park cottage for profit or commercial use, which eventually resulted in the great community use it is now put to by Marple Bands.

Yes, covenants can be changed but they are a great weapon for those who wish to preserve somewhere like the Rec and can make it very difficult for a council to dispose of as they usually want to be seen to do the right thing. The strength is in the community knowing of their existence, if they are forgotten then they loose their power.

The old thread is here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=5641.0
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 08:30:17 AM »
Yes,

I recall some talk on here of a covenant some time ago but it may have just been speculation.

Anyway; Covenants, Wayleaves & Easements as they are often collectively known can almost always be removed. This is at a cost, sometimes only a few thousand pounds  but can run to much more, involving applications, compensations and last but not least lawyers fees.

It wouldn't be worth the cost of the application for covenant removal, to change a public convenience to a barbers shop but for a bigger project it might be. It would depend upon how much money was in the project.

As I say a barber's shop no, but a block of flats who knows?     

amazon

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
All because we are not willing to pay a decent level of taxation.

not everyone can aford to pay a decent level of taxation /