Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Nuhope at Marple Hall School  (Read 53584 times)

JMC

Re: Nuhope at Marple Hall School
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
To find out if it is true or gossip! My two kids there or myself have not heard about it.

simonesaffron

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »
Where did you here that?

Why do you need to know that ?

JMC

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »
Where did you here that?

simonesaffron

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
Apparently, the Headteacher has resigned. What future does nuhope have now? 

marpleexile

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »
I agree with the nuhope arrangement but disagree with the fact that it only applies to years 7 & 8. Unlike the uniform issue, that was a cost problem for pupils that would not get full use out of a blazer, they will get use out of manners and if you want them to respect their elders/peers, I think it should be based on a full (nuskool) new hope.

I agree, but....

I suspect they have introduced nuhope gradually to avoid any potential problems/challenges from parents of years 9 and above who don't like their children being required to behave and follow the rules - I can imagine some long winded appeals and complaints procedures from parents claiming they would have never sent their kids to MHS if they had know they'd actually be disciplined for misbehaving.

Parents of years 7&8 knew what they were signing their kids up for when they applied to MHS.

Jay

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
I agree with the nuhope arrangement but disagree with the fact that it only applies to years 7 & 8. Unlike the uniform issue, that was a cost problem for pupils that would not get full use out of a blazer, they will get use out of manners and if you want them to respect their elders/peers, I think it should be based on a full (nuskool) new hope.

JMC

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »
if it really is true that the Head has said that 'if people dont like the nuhope regime, then move to another school', that is appalling!

MHS said the same to me but on another issue. I objected as they placed my child in form with a very disruptive girl as they felt she would be a 'good influence' as she was quiet and well behaved. She was not put with a single friend like all the other girls in the class were (they put who they wanted to be with on a list and everybody got at least one friend except my daughter), just placed with this girl that has serious problems and had bullied her in the past...I objected and was told that there are plenty of parents from Offerton and surrounding areas that would have the place if I didn't want it. As predicted my daughter suffered bullying by the girl who latched on to her and had a very hard time settling in even ending up needing counselling. Luckily she did settle eventually but it was much harder and very unfair the way she was treated. If this happens again with my younger children I will be changing schools!

David myers

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »
Well said Gaz, parents have signed up to this scheme, therefore they understand and agree to the terms. Though my children are not ready for high school, when they are at MHS I expect them to be put right and dealt with accordingly to ensure that they are fully prepared for the real world.

We need to go back a generation and compare what these children have and how they behave etc. I went to MHS and we daren't do wrong and Bert Saville would let us know about it and quite right too. I have little if any sympathy and as stated, these parents have agreed to the scheme and what it stands for, therefore train and prepare your children accordingly as our PE teacher said, the 7 Ps - pre planned preparation, prevents p___s poor performance!
Although they sound like minor issues, things like forgetting books/pens/rulers etc... impact everybody else in the room - they either have to be provided on loan or they have to share - all takes time - impacting the time learning.  If everyone forgot their text book that they are borrowing for the year/term then the school would have to buy double the number of books.

Why can't these basic things be remembered - in my day I had a pencil case and a bag, where I kept all my stuff.  Each night I used to pack my bag with equipment needed for the next day. Easy.

When people go into the 'real world' they will be expected to dress/behave and perform to a standard, if they learn it whilst young then it will be easier in later life.

simonesaffron

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »
I've just read a description of Nu-Hope at
http://www.marplehall.stockport.sch.uk/fileuploads/File/Publications/Nuhope%20FAQ.pdf

I can't see a single thing in there that any reasonable parent would complain about. It simply promotes the disciplines that will become essential in later life.

I don't think that Louby was complaining about the theory of it more about the unfair way in which it seems to be administered and the fact (although, I find this hard to believe) that the Headteacher said ..."find another school".

If my brats complained about repeatedly forgetting a ruler, I'd really wonder why their common sense hasn't kicked in to ensure that they don't repeat mistakes. Sounds like good preparation for life to me.

Good Old Duke eh! "Brats" and all - what can we say - nothing I suppose. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
If my brats complained about repeatedly forgetting a ruler, I'd really wonder why their common sense hasn't kicked in to ensure that they don't repeat mistakes. Sounds like good preparation for life to me.

Howard

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »
Many thanks for all your replies, certainly I find it encouraging that people are aware and take the trouble to respond. I will pursue the links and suggestions that have been offered. Two things are of note to me - firstly the responses of parents with children in year 7 are much more sympathetic and secondly with regard to fairness - the rules only apply to year 7 and 8. If you are in year 9 there is no punishment for the same misdemeanour.
Why?

Because it was brought in from a specific year, with plenty of communication for new pupils and parents when they went to their taster days. They did not apply it to existing pupils which means that within the next three years NUHOPE will be consistent across all school years in MHS. They did the same thing when they introduced new uniform so that pupils who were in years 10 & 11 did not have to buy a complete set of new uniform.

Harry

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
I've just read a description of Nu-Hope at
http://www.marplehall.stockport.sch.uk/fileuploads/File/Publications/Nuhope%20FAQ.pdf

I can't see a single thing in there that any reasonable parent would complain about. It simply promotes the disciplines that will become essential in later life.

amazon

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
Many thanks for all your replies, certainly I find it encouraging that people are aware and take the trouble to respond. I will pursue the links and suggestions that have been offered. Two things are of note to me - firstly the responses of parents with children in year 7 are much more sympathetic and secondly with regard to fairness - the rules only apply to year 7 and 8. If you are in year 9 there is no punishment for the same misdemeanour.

Why .

Loobylou

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »

jethroh65

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
The school is closed today due to staff being unable to get through the snow. Will they all get detentions I wonder?

But most of the children went in surly there should be some way of communicating with them to tell them not to turn up ..if children can why not teachers , don't they have a website .
The school is supposed to post a closure at 7.30, at this point it was deemed okay for the school to open. It was only at 10 when it was realized there was not enough staff the decision was made to close the school.
No doubt this is was a unavoidable situation that could be forgiven, but the same logic has to be applied to Nu Hope decisions in respect to pupils. If Nu hope rules were applied the teachers would get detention, no excuses allowed and also not notice given to parents.