Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Nuhope at Marple Hall School  (Read 53547 times)

alison

Re: Nuhope at Marple Hall School
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
sounds a bit draconian - in my Marple Hall days I think I would probably have been in detention constantly based on those rules! However, I do think that learning respect for authority and rules is important and stands kids in good stead for later life. Excuse the expression, but we were sh** scared of anything getting back to our parents when we were at school, and so this helped to ensure that most of us towed the lines - it does seem increasingly that kids are set few boundaries, and I don't think we are doing them any favours in this. So without understanding the full details of this scheme and its implementation it is hard to comment.

However, the one thing that I really object to is the accusation that somebody that is 'not from round here' does not have the required skills and expertise to deal with kids from this community. This just seems to be nimbyism in the extreme. Values, respect, discipline etc do not and should not vary from area to area, or even from country to country, and to raise the point that just because someone commutes to Marple, they are not qualified to teach Marple's youth, is just silly, in my humble opinion. It is certainly not an opinion that I would want kids to believe is acceptable, and to take into their adult life.

Alison

Rachael

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
My son was also a new starter last September, they will be in the same year,  I actually agree with Nuhope, and all that it stands for.

My oldest son went to Marple hall, he left 3 years ago,  he loved his time there, and we were very happy with the standard of education he recieved .

I honestly do not think that there is anything wrong with Nuhope, whenever my youngest  son has had a detention, school have contacted me, by email, by phone call, and by text, no detention has been a sudden occurance without me knowing , had there been an activitiy out of school, then Im pretty sure that school would have arranged his detention to another day with me .

Ive also heard the head has told people if they dont like the nuhope regime, then move to another school ... I honestly think thats fair enough .

Children get away with too much in schools, and everything is on the childs side, the teachers hands are tied, when my son got detention for forgetting his ruler, my simple answer to that was .." you wont forget it again "

If my son had so many detentions that it caused him to withdraw from after school activities, then I would question why he is getting so many, is it the school being unreasonable, or is it my son doing something that he can prevent , have you spoken to the school about it .

hollins

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »
"Nuhope" has rapidly become "No hope" in our household - although the child who is still at Marple Hall is above the age to which the new regime is applied and regards it with a certain amount of wry amusement.

The intention was good and for some discipline-worthy offences (e.g. answering back) a detention is probably merited. However, for unintentional errors (e.g. forgetting rulers, untucked shirt) it might be better if teachers ... ahem ... happened to be looking the other way.

I would advise your child simply not to worry too much about it, and take a good book to read in the detention.

If the Head Teacher drives in every day then you might care to keep a check on whether all her car lights etc. are in full working order all the time.

Loobylou

Nuhope at Marple Hall School
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »
Hello,
My child started at Marple Hall School last September, in year 7. He is a bright child, in the top set for most subjects and until recently he participated eagerly in extracurricular activities.
However he has become demoralised and stopped enjoying school since getting quite a few detentions under the school's nu-hope regime. By this approach any misdemeanour, however slight, is punished with an after school detention that very day. Anything from a shirt tail coming untucked, to forgetting a ruler, to having the wrong book is immediately punished by detention. This has been the case right from the first day. Sometimes detentions have been given in error and afterwards the staff member has apologised but at the time the child cannot rectify the matter as this is answering back, a definite nu-hope detention earner.
Because of detentions, after school activities have been missed and as a result my child has now withdrawn from them.
Last term year 7 parents were invited to a coffee morning at school. I attended and soon became aware that the sole purpose of the meeting was the nu-hope regime. It was very clear that the school had no intention of making any changes whatsoever and I felt my time had been wasted inviting me to attend to discuss. My child has told me that the head says if you don't like it then move to another school.
I am most interested to know what other parents think about this. I understand the head lives near Leeds and commutes daily. She is not part of our community and it seems she is not open to hearing our views. I understand there are three counsellors on the school's Governing Body. I wonder, has anyone spoken with them about nu-hope?
Please let me know your views, I support strict discipline but do we really need such a draconian approach?