Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Those annoying 'A boards'  (Read 24821 times)

Blossom

Re: Those annoying 'A boards'
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
I'm lost.

gazwhite

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
Needs a bit of pressure then - as soon as a guide comes out then people will know what to do.

I'll drop him a Tweet.

Duke Fame

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
Please tell.

Toots, i'm not sure if I'm right now, I'd been out last evening for the first time in ages, that eggnog went right to my head ;-)

Arnold Swain was the Emily Bishop's (out of coronation street) 2nd husband but it turned out that before marrying Emily, he'd forgot to mention it to his current wife. That is why I was saying I only have one Wor lass, if I had anymore I would be doing bigomy stuff which isn't right, especially at Christmas.

Having said all that, I'm not that sure about my apostraphies now so we'll go back to agreeing with me that shops should be allowed to promote their wares with a suitable 'A' board.

simonesaffron

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
Please tell.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »
By the way admin.

Do you know who Arnold Swain is ?

Yes.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
By the way admin.

Do you know who Arnold Swain is ?

simonesaffron

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
I think Duke considers "wor lass's" to be the plural of "wor lass' "  :D

It ia absolute literary pedantry and I am not unashamed to be responding to it. It is a bit like those people that pull you up about your spelling mistakes and call them "typographical errors". Anyway we all make them but in the referred to example I inserted the apostrophe to denote ownership and to indicate that Duke's Lass owned the shop as in Lass's shop. However it is probably entirely different in Geordie and if there is an error I willingly concede to it. 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »
I think Duke considers "wor lass's" to be the plural of "wor lass' "  :D
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 08:13:32 AM »
Sorry, about the spelling mistake Duke but I've never really been able to get to grips with Geordie dialect. Nor do I know who Arnold Swain is.

I am sure he is worthy and noble, please enlighten.   

Duke Fame

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
No wheels, it's you that doesn't understand the difference - between Simone and me. It's Simone that thinks you make things up.  I certainly don't.   :-*

Whereas I do

Duke Fame

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »
By the way Duke, private land does not give you the automatic right to erect obstacles if that's what you're "A" board is deemed to be. Is ..."wor lass's" shop in either Marple or Heatons? If it's in Marple she is safe and unless people complain in large numbers nothing will happen and it will almost certainly be ignored.    

Small point Simon but it's simple O'level stuff, wor lass' shop not wor lass's, I'm not Marple's equivalent of Arnold Swain.

Duke Fame

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 11:40:12 PM »
It is not the biggest issue for many but it has caused enduring conflict between Stockport's ruling parties.

My understanding of the core - thinking on the issue is this. Libdems in Stockport believe (you'll like this Duke) that business should be entitled to put out "A" boards to advertise, full stop. Whereas Labour, (this you won't like) believe that these boards are an obstruction/danger in the public footway that they impede drunks,wheelchair users, unobservant school kids, old people,partially - sighted, the list goes on. They would ban them entirely and prosecute offenders also full stop.

Nobody can recall where these stances originated but neither party has ever conceded one pin and this total non - compromise has resulted in no clear policy for Officers to implement.

Everytime something is actually written, it stands for a few months and then violent argument ensues once again only for it to be re-written then whilst it is being re-written it stays in Limbo. As well as this there are always different versions in circulation. IT'S A MUDDLE.

Localities also reflect political thinking, sometimes unwittingly. Take heed Wheels, I know that you don't believe local politicians have any influence but this is yet another typical example of our lives being influenced by them without us knowing it. If you're in Marple (Libdem Territory) you can put out as many of these boards as you like and in testimony of this the place is festooned with them. Any attempt to prevent you by Council Officers will be interceded by local Councillors.  Conversely If you live in the Heatons (predominantly Labour - totally come 2014) and you put an "A" board out Local Councillors will again intercede but this time to ensure you take it down. As a consequence of this any kind of attempt at regulation keeps out of the likes of Marple and concentrates on the likes of The Heatons.

As these parties come closer to parity in terms of numbers of seats this comparitively minor issue could become even more muddled. As if we haven't got enough trouble with issues that really matter.

Because Labour don't understand business and think the world owes them a living and Liberals give people the benefit of making their own minds up. Who's right? Well, the Labour party gave you the fool of Gordon Brown and the outright lies of Ed Balls?

amazon

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 06:44:30 PM »
No wheels, it's you that doesn't understand the difference - between Simone and me. It's Simone that thinks you make things up.  I certainly don't.   :-*

Gentleman it's nearly Christmas do you think you could SHUT up and say something constructive instead of   

Trying to outdo one another . I'm sure admin will Agree with me

Dave

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »

wheels

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
I must explain to you the difference Dave between making things up and being told things you just don't agree with. I am not convinced you understand the difference.  ;D