Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Those annoying 'A boards'  (Read 24672 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Those annoying 'A boards'
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
Blue Zorro now your trying sense and logic. I counted 10 of these board out on Market St on Thursday.

Wheels, you've not really been out in your own time counting "A" boards have you ? They'll pay you thirty grand a year at the Council for doing that.

Bluezorro

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »
I fail to see how a shopkeeper is unable to fill a dimple free form out.

wheels

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »
Blue Zorro now your trying sense and logic. I counted 10 of these board out on Market St on Thursday.

Bluezorro

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
How much money will the shops lose filling a form out

Duke Fame

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
So can I get this right Duke you want the Council to take no action, and be taken to court by Disability Stockport for not enforcing national legislation and lose in court at the CT payers expense. I see you should have said that more clearly so we all understood.

Think about it, if the council grew a pair and took disability Stockport's funding away, and sacked the team that has spent 3 years on this problem as well as legal costs, it saves a fair few quid. If Disablilty Stockport could afford to take the council to court, the cost would be far less than what has been wasted so far, the bureaucracy of running the scheme and the lost revenue to shops & sign-writers.

wheels

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »
So can I get this right Duke you want the Council to take no action, and be taken to court by Disability Stockport for not enforcing national legislation and lose in court at the CT payers expense. I see you should have said that more clearly so we all understood.

Duke Fame

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »
What are you on about Duke, Disability Stockport are pressing the Council to enforce national legislation. The Council have come up with a perfectly reasonable system of licencing A boards where they are not a problem and asking for those that are to be removed. The council, sadly in my view, are not charging retailer for this.

So what exactly are the Council doing wrong?????

A licence will not stop obstructions, what will the penalty be? How are the retailers going to be informed? Why do you think retailers should pay more? Disability Stockport are causing the problem, should they not pay?

Our A board is set out to be seen, nobody has ever walked into it or any other A board on our parade. Licensing seems to be a bureaucratic hammer to crack a nut.

wheels

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
What are you on about Duke, Disability Stockport are pressing the Council to enforce national legislation. The Council have come up with a perfectly reasonable system of licencing A boards where they are not a problem and asking for those that are to be removed. The council, sadly in my view, are not charging retailer for this.

So what exactly are the Council doing wrong?????

Duke Fame

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 11:57:59 PM »
As an attempt to get the topic back on track, is this still relevant or is it all change again since this was published?

http://www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk/latest-news/140-new-a-board-legislation.html

It's changed since then.  SMBC have finished their consultation and released the final Obstructions Policy.

See: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/transport/highwayandstreetlightmaintenance/aboards

Two hopes of that working.

It really is typical council rubbish. They have invented a problem that doesn't exist, taken over  two years justifying the employment of a load of employees at a huge amount of cost, re-drafting & re-drafting something that clearly will not work and in doing so, inconvenience and criminalizing  a whole host of retailers who are struggling to keep afloat never mind earn a living who clearly do not need yet another demand by some clueless public-sector jobsworth types.

All that's needed is a set of guidelinnes for good practice, no licences, no need for 'consultancy periods' etc etc. The council could have made that department redundant, saving us all a few 100 grand in tax and the amount saved could be in the pockets of tax-payers who will spend that spare cash in shops, the additional demand will mean the retailers can take on more staff which means those council pencil pushers / strikers / 'no to cuts' protesters can get a job doing something meaningful.

Simon, you are Simone? Wow, that's brave in a little town like Marple. I've read a bit about it and you should think long and hard about the change, live as Simone before removing Simon fi you know what I mean.

Duke Fame

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
As an attempt to get the topic back on track, is this still relevant or is it all change again since this was published?

http://www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk/latest-news/140-new-a-board-legislation.html

It's changed since then.  SMBC have finished their consultation and released the final Obstructions Policy.

See: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/transport/highwayandstreetlightmaintenance/aboards

Two hopes of that working.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
It is relevant but only inasmuch as it is the current draft protocol of which there have been several. Three this year alone, if I'm not mistaken. The current draft protocol does not take into account that the Stockport Labour Party want "A" boards banned completely. They don't want any "licensing system" or protocol or specification, rightly or wrongly they just want them out. It is also problematic that there appears to be no national legislation to steer the issue.

Duke Fame

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »

It's still draft as far as I can see.

The parade of shops I'm familiar with only has one A board each and it's placed on the same line down the pavement, nobody had walked into any of these boards in the last 5 years.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
I think I'm probably with you blossom and I have probably contributed to it.

One thing Duke as it's Christmas. Please stop calling me Simon, it is the wrong gender and the wrong name.