To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be  (Read 57889 times)

Dave

Re: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2013, 05:01:41 AM »
I wouldn't call it a gift.  The law forced them to do it. 

Bluezorro

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »
Think they mean if the council owned hibbert lane instead of gifting it to the college.

Howard

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
If the councillor had owned the ridge don't think there would have been a problem with permission for a supermarket ..on there .

Which councillor do you mean, and why would they own the ridge?

Bluezorro

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »
Judging by the amount of times i see the ocado van in marple, waitrose seem to be doing very well already.
Whereas aldi and morrisons do not have home delivery services.

alan@marple

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »
Aldi I reckon

amazon

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »
Pardon my ignorance buit has anyone seen a valuation of the Chadwick Strret published anywhere? (ie what the Council would get as a recipt if sold)

If the councillor had owned the ridge don't think there would have been a problem with permission for a supermarket ..on there .

amazon

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
They have hinted at it being a 'high quality' retailer. This would certainly appease many of MIA who are vocal about Tesco/Asda being evil capitalist giants they do not want in Marple. I would guess it is a Waitrose. However this still leaves a gap in Marple for those on low incomes that need the convenience of a supermarket. To them it will seem that MIA/snobbery/hypocrisy has taken place.

I also have a feeling that IF Asda is turned down at appeal and Trinity goes ahead, MIA may then decide to protest. Especially if it turns out it would be Tesco/Asda/Aldi/Lidl. They can't seem to make their minds up and many arguments they put forward  against HL also apply to TS eg. traffic choas, driving local shops out etc.

Good post don't they think that is a supermarket comes to Chadwick street it won't affect the same shops that they say will be affected if ASDA comes . Crazy. That supermarket will be selling the things that ASDA said they won't sell .

Bowden Guy

« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Pardon my ignorance buit has anyone seen a valuation of the Chadwick Strret published anywhere? (ie what the Council would get as a recipt if sold)

Bluezorro

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
Mia would not oppose chadwick st regardless of the supermarket.
The only reason asda was not granted planning permission was the alternative site at chadwick st.
If there was no chadwick st asda would have more chance for appeal.

JMC

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »
They have hinted at it being a 'high quality' retailer. This would certainly appease many of MIA who are vocal about Tesco/Asda being evil capitalist giants they do not want in Marple. I would guess it is a Waitrose. However this still leaves a gap in Marple for those on low incomes that need the convenience of a supermarket. To them it will seem that MIA/snobbery/hypocrisy has taken place.

I also have a feeling that IF Asda is turned down at appeal and Trinity goes ahead, MIA may then decide to protest. Especially if it turns out it would be Tesco/Asda/Aldi/Lidl. They can't seem to make their minds up and many arguments they put forward  against HL also apply to TS eg. traffic choas, driving local shops out etc.

Duke Fame

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
I don't think Waitrose is more expensive than the Co-op. Honestly. And the food is better quality. The Co-op is very over priced with poor selection and or customer service.

Having worked in a supermarket when at college, as far as fruit and veg is concerned, pretty much all supermarket produce comes from the same place with the exception of Moggys. Quite often in Tesco, we'd get boxes of toms etc with the wrong labels on, be that Sainsbury, Waitrose, Coop

amazon

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
That's interesting, RSH. I think the developer Kirkland has already struck a deal with one of the supermarkets (depending on planning permission being granted). Kirklands have made a huge investment in site surveys, liaison with council planners, architects' drawings, videos, leaflet production/distribution, consultation/exhibition costs etc - this will already have run into six figures I am sure. Does Kirklands have the financial resources to do that without financial backing from one of the supermarkets? Would a bank advance that sort of money to Kirklands without a commitment from a supermarket in place?
In a previous posting, clues to the likely supermarket behind the Chadwick Street plans were discussed. Kirkland developed a supermarket in Bury or Bolton for Aldi relatively recently. The first Kirkland press release was issued for them by Lexington Communications which provides lobbying services to Tesco. The Kirkland Developments leaflet distributed to residents used the typeface and green colouring that closely matches that used by Waitrose. Now RSH reveals that Fairhursts were also architects for a another Waitrose development. Let the speculation (and detective work) continue!

I still think ASDA will come . To Chadwick street .

Dave

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
A very good point, Miss C.  From my own experience I'm sure you're right about that. 

Miss C

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I don't think Waitrose is more expensive than the Co-op. Honestly. And the food is better quality. The Co-op is very over priced with poor selection and or customer service.

Bluezorro

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
Theres not even enough car park places for the supermarket staff.