A M Photo-Graphics

Linked Events

• Chadwick St. Dev. Consultation: October 19, 2012 - October 20, 2012

Author Topic: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced  (Read 193831 times)

JMC

Re: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
]Sorry but marple needs an alternative supermarket to the rip of coop .as its been said most people go out of marple to do there supermarket shopping .so how do you get people to shop in marple . With the shops we have .they may be a few left of the no to Asda brigade but if Asda do come I bet they use it as they will Chadwick street .

Very true.

Cyberman

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2012, 08:15:35 AM »
Sorry but marple needs an alternative supermarket to the rip of coop .as its been said most people go out of marple to do there supermarket shopping .so how do you get people to shop in marple . With the shops we have .they may be a few left of the no to Asda brigade but if Asda do come I bet they use it as they will Chadwick street .

I wish folks would stop referring to Co-op prices as "rip-off". I don't think they are much higher than Tesco, Asda etc. These guys are very good at enticing you in with special deals, but their basic stuff can be similar to Co-op prices. Aldi and Lidl are a dirrerent matter - they are cheap. If Co-op prices are higher it's because a) they don't shaft their suppliers as the likes of Tesco and Asda do, and b) they probably employ their staff on a reasonable wage, not on minimum-wage zero-hour contracts. Granted to some customers price is everything, and for them a competitor in Marple would be useful. I am happy with Co-op prices, although I wish they could be more switched-on with their customer service!

amazon

« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
I was talking earlier today to someone who lives on Church Street, overlooking the proposed site.

They absolutely do not want a supermarket on Chadwick Street and nor do her neighbours apparently.

Marple In Action? pffft.. only if Miss Marple has relatives opposite.
I am not surprised they don't want one, I wouldn't. It will also create increased traffic through Marple as would Asda on Hibbert Lane.
I know MM wouldn't want one either. Why don't the residents start a protest group? Marple in Action can't fight against evey planning application. It is very,very time consuming. There are lots of No to Asda posters around that site, nothing about Chadwick Street development.

Go on then .
Did you read my post ? I said it is very time consuming and MIA can't fight every planning application! >:(

Sorry but marple needs an alternative supermarket to the rip of coop .as its been said most people go out of marple to do there supermarket shopping .so how do you get people to shop in marple . With the shops we have .they may be a few left of the no to Asda brigade but if Asda do come I bet they use it as they will Chadwick street .

sooty2

« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2012, 12:00:08 AM »
I was talking earlier today to someone who lives on Church Street, overlooking the proposed site.

They absolutely do not want a supermarket on Chadwick Street and nor do her neighbours apparently.

I am not surprised they don't want one, I wouldn't. It will also create increased traffic through Marple as would Asda on Hibbert Lane.
I know MM wouldn't want one either. Why don't the residents start a protest group? Marple in Action can't fight against evey planning application. It is very,very time consuming. There are lots of No to Asda posters around that site, nothing about Chadwick Street development.

Go on then .
Did you read my post ? I said it is very time consuming and MIA can't fight every planning application! >:(

amazon

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

Go on then .

sooty2

« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »

Dave

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Of course not - no surprise there.  And let's be honest, we are all nimbies.  But we all use supermarkets too, and as long as they are in someones else's backyard then that's OK......

Tricky

« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »

meh

wheels

« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
The students should get cycles and get fit at the same time.
Too many pies at that college.

Sound response BlueZerro

Bluezorro

« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »
The students should get cycles and get fit at the same time.
Too many pies at that college.

wheels

« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »
Wheels is fond of a good rant, and he asks a lot of questions.....
are you really suggesting that the young people of Breadbury and Romiley are denied education because they have to get on a bus to get to Marple. Are you really saying that the education Marple teenages have is better than that of Breadbury teenages, in the same class, because they don't have to get a bus.
and
I am yet to hear an argument other than economic for retaining the collage at all certainly no education reasons have been put forward.
not forgetting:
And you never explain to me why the college has to stay in Marple.

...but he doesn't actually want to hear the answers - when you offer to explain it to him, the answer is simply:
No

This is not all that unusual on forums - you often get the odd poster who uses the forum as a ranting platform, but doesn't actually want to engage directly in discussion.  It's normally best to ignore them.  

There is no ranting Dave calm down I just ask why a bus journey reduces the quality of education.

wheels

« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
Majority "in favour" of town centre store, or so the article in this week's Stockport Express would have us believe. Now closer examination of the article reveals that 56% of the 278 who bothered to respond to the consultation were actually "in favour". I make that a total of 155 citizens. At the last count Marple had a population of circa 23,000. Now one could take that to mean that 0.006% of the population of Marple are "in favour" of the Chadwick Street development. Amazing what you can do with statistics isn't it? Probably no heads hanging in shame though. Shoddy journalism no doubt and shameful abuse of the English Language Mr Hogarth, "localism" really, words fail me.  ;)

No it says 99% of the population can't be bothered to express a view. Don't knock the messenger

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
More detail was published here on 2 November:

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=4688.0
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »
Majority "in favour" of town centre store, or so the article in this week's Stockport Express would have us believe. Now closer examination of the article reveals that 56% of the 278 who bothered to respond to the consultation were actually "in favour". I make that a total of 155 citizens. At the last count Marple had a population of circa 23,000. Now one could take that to mean that 0.006% of the population of Marple are "in favour" of the Chadwick Street development. Amazing what you can do with statistics isn't it? Probably no heads hanging in shame though. Shoddy journalism no doubt and shameful abuse of the English Language Mr Hogarth, "localism" really, words fail me.  ;)

Dave

« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »
Wheels is fond of a good rant, and he asks a lot of questions.....
are you really suggesting that the young people of Breadbury and Romiley are denied education because they have to get on a bus to get to Marple. Are you really saying that the education Marple teenages have is better than that of Breadbury teenages, in the same class, because they don't have to get a bus.
and
I am yet to hear an argument other than economic for retaining the collage at all certainly no education reasons have been put forward.
not forgetting:
And you never explain to me why the college has to stay in Marple.

...but he doesn't actually want to hear the answers - when you offer to explain it to him, the answer is simply:
No

This is not all that unusual on forums - you often get the odd poster who uses the forum as a ranting platform, but doesn't actually want to engage directly in discussion.  It's normally best to ignore them.