Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Linked Events

• Chadwick St. Dev. Consultation: October 19, 2012 - October 20, 2012

Author Topic: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced  (Read 193881 times)

Maria

Re: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Dave have a look at the Kirkland devlopment website.  There is nothing to say students who attend CAMSFC will lose out.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
This statement is taken from the Kirkland web site: www.marpletowncentrestore.co.uk/theproposals.html

What about the College?
Kirkland Developments recognise the importance of the redevelopment of the College to residents in Marple. As a local company, Kirkland was involved in the initial stages of bidding for the College redevelopment, prior to the Chadwick Site becoming available for a foodstore proposal. Kirkland's initial bid for the redevelopment of Marple College included a residential and leisure scheme for the Hibbert Lane site. During this bidding process, Kirkland was in a position to understand the requirements of bringing forward a redevelopment of the College. As such, the company believes that if a town centre store was approved, the Marple College redevelopment is still possible without Asda. Proposing new homes at Hibbert Lane, as opposed to a foodstore, combined with the return generated by a store at Chadwick Street, will provide a sum that could be used to redevelop Marple College.

Kirkland has not brought forward proposals for Hibbert Lane but has looked carefully into the potential for new College facilities without approval for the Asda proposals, in recognition of Marple College's ambitions and to reassure residents that approval for Kirkland's town centre store proposals will not mean the College is sidelined.

As an example, Kirkland has worked on the indicative proposal below, showing new homes at Hibbert Lane alongside new facilities for Marple College.

It refers to an indicative proposal "below" but it isn't on the site (as far as I can see). However, it was on display at the consultation and I asked them for a copy to put on here. If / when it arrives I will add it.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
I think the Marple ward councillors in this whole situation are largely irrelevant they are not part of the decision making process or of any wider strategic thinking. Thus I have much more confidencethan you Dave. I would have concerns if the Marple six mattered at all.

Dave

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
I hope you are right and I'm wrong, wheels.  However, as far as I can recall, the Chadwick Street proposals emerged a year ago, in October 2011.  This was about four months after the plans for Hibbert Lane were first leaked on to this forum by the redoubtable Miss Marple, and three months after the infamous 'party-in-the-park' in July last year, when councillors were publicly lobbied (some would say bullied) into coming out against the college's scheme.

Now that could just be a coincidence.......

wheels

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
Dave of course your wrong, with respect thats just silly.

I believe our authority is in good hands under the leadership of Cllr Derbyshire no one here or anywhere has ever stated anything different althought I do accept therr are some extremly weak and illliberal  members in Marple.

Dave

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »
The other aspect of the Kirkland development is that it doesn't do anything for the College. It now looks to me as if their refurbishment plans as far as ASDA is concerned are well and truly on hold if not dead and buried. 

For those of us who care about education in Marple, that, of course, is the real worry.  When the Chadwick Street development plans first emerged, many of us (including me) assumed that because the overall area of the Chadwick Street site is much smaller than the Hibbert lane site, the retail area of any supermarket built on it would be correspondingly smaller.  So there was much discussion here of whether it might be an Aldi, or an M&S Simply Food, or maybe a Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local.   

But we were wrong - both schemes propose a gross retail area of about 25,000 sq.ft, which is at the upper end of the range of normal supermarket size (3,000 - 25,000 sq.ft.), a would therefore suit any major supermarket chain.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist - in my experience, many alleged conspiracies turn out in the end to have been cock-ups.  But on this occasion, I have to admit that this is beginning to look like a calculated attempt by our beloved councillors to sabotage plans for the improvement of the educational facilities available to the people who voted for them.  I hope I'm wrong, but if that is true, it's an absolute disgrace.   :(

simonesaffron

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
I can't say that I have noticed much difference in the PR between Asda and Kirkland.

They've both done some things a little different than the other but in the main the information has been there if you felt the need to find it. 

I suppose at the time of writing and providing local councillors favour Kirkland, (and my understanding is that they do) then it should follow that Kirkland is the favourite. There is though still the issue of the sorting office relocation. I also understand that SMBC have sent back ASDA'S traffic management scheme and told them to rethink it. Though whichever scheme outs, there is going to be more traffic in Marple. There is an argument that says because Kirkland are in the town centre then more traffic will converge on the centre whereas with Asda the traffic coming from the High Lane end will stop at Hibbert Lane. On the other hand Kirkland will bring custom in to the centre to support the local traders.

The other aspect of the Kirkland development is that it doesn't do anything for the College. It now looks to me as if their refurbishment plans as far as ASDA is concerned are well and truly on hold if not dead and buried.         

Lily

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »
I'm only stating my personal opinions about the consultations. 

I have never received anything through my door from Asda or the college whereas I have received an informative leaflet from Kirkland which also includes contact details.

wheels

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
Very interesting presentation by Kirkland and, in my opinion as a Marple resident, far better than the Asda proposal.

From what I understand the Kirkland build would only go ahead if Asda lost or gave up on their plans.

They informed people at the presentation that delivery lorries would access the supermarket (not named as yet) via Trinity Street. They would go inside the store to drop off their goods and turn round inside before leaving - so no reversing on a narrow street.

What's more, Kirkland seem to be more open with their proposals. We have had a very informative leaflet through the door and now have access to their website.  And, as you see in the press release, they even give a telephone number if you have any questions.

I'm still waiting for any information from Asda  (so it's a good job I went to their public presentation).

I really have to challenge that Lily I have no truck with ASDA its not a store I use or am likely to use but to imply that they have been less than fullsome with there information and material in my view flies in the face of the facts. They have produced just as good a range of material as Kirkland and widely distributed it, held a range of consultations, generated press coverage and are easily accessable via email and phone. What more would you have been looking for them to do?????

Lily

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »
Hi Dave,

While at the presentation I heard one of the representatives from Kirkland say it and can only assume he was telling the truth (and I only said "from what I understand").

As mentioned in my posting there is a a telephone number mentioned in their press release which states "there is a dedicated community information line on 0161 247 8417 to find out more".

If you go to their website it is also intimated in both 'The Proposals' and 'The Process' sections.

People will have their own opinions so the best way to find out is contact Kirkland yourselves.

Lily

Dave

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2012, 10:51:33 PM »
From what I understand the Kirkland build would only go ahead if Asda lost or gave up on their plans.

What is your source for that, Lily?

Lily

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
Very interesting presentation by Kirkland and, in my opinion as a Marple resident, far better than the Asda proposal.

They informed people at the presentation that delivery lorries would access the supermarket (not named as yet) via Trinity Street. They would go inside the store to drop off their goods and turn round inside before leaving - so no reversing on a narrow street.

What's more, Kirkland seem to be more open with their proposals. We have had a very informative leaflet through the door and now have access to their website.  And, as you see in the press release, they even give a telephone number if you have any questions.

I'm still waiting for any information from Asda  (so it's a good job I went to their public presentation).

Dave

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
That's very interesting indeed - especially the information, which I hadn't picked up on until now, that the Chadwick Street scheme proposes a supermarket with a sales area of 25,000 sq.ft - exactly the same as Hibbert Lane.  What a coincidence........   ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »
The Kirkland Development web site is now working:

http://www.marpletowncentrestore.co.uk
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »
A new press release from Kirkland Developments:

Kirkland Developments announces public exhibitions for Marple town centre store

Stockport-based local development company Kirkland Developments has today announced two public exhibitions of its proposals for a foodstore at Chadwick Street car park in Marple town centre.

The events, to take place from 2pm until 7pm on Friday 19 and 11am until 3pm on Saturday 20 October at Marple Library, Memorial Park, Marple, SK6 6BA, will have information on Kirkland’s plans on display and members of the development team on-hand to answer residents’ questions.

Prior to the exhibitions, over 6,000 leaflets will be delivered to houses and businesses in and around Marple to invite people to the events and seek their initial feedback on the proposals.

Rod Hogarth, Kirkland Developments’ Managing Director, said:

“I am pleased to announce our public exhibitions for a town centre store. Kirkland’s plans will increase footfall in Marple town centre, reduce the need to travel out of town to do a weekly shop and create hundreds of jobs. We know that a foodstore in this location can provide a real boost to Marple.

“I encourage people to come along to the exhibitions and talk to the team. We want to hear what the community has to say so that we can take this on board before we submit a planning application. I look forward to meeting members of the community soon.

“There is no agreed operator but we have been in discussions with all the major high quality retailers, who are interested in opening a store in Marple if the Asda proposals do not go ahead.”

If residents are unable to attend the exhibition, a website will soon be launched, www.marpletowncentrestore.co.uk and they can contact the dedicated community information line on 0161 247 8417 to find out more.

Plus a new image:

It is shown at 600 pixels wide below but if you click the link underneath you will see a 1000 pixel wide version.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website