To advertise on this site

Linked Events

• Chadwick St. Dev. Consultation: October 19, 2012 - October 20, 2012

Author Topic: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced  (Read 193328 times)

Dave

Re: Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
Dave, I'd not play with you at archery if you reckon the college is 'edge-of-centre'.

Definition of Edge of Centre: 'For retail purposes, a location that is well connected and up to 300 metres from the primary shopping area.'   Source:  http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/glossaryandlinks/glossary/e

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
An interesting and much anticipated development. I now look forward to seeing Kirkland’s proposals for the future of further education in Marple, the provision, and possible gifting to the council, of public open space, the provision of good facilities for sports clubs and the community at large, and competitively priced petrol and diesel.

I was also amused by the reference to the Asda project as “out of centre/town” by both Kirkland and MIA, particularly since MIA have previously referred to it as “edge of town” which it appears to be.

They shouldn't have to include educational facilities and sports fields as these will be left intact at the Hibbert Lane Campus.

Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
That's an interesting and useful update.  Perhaps the most interesting paragraph is this one:

“We are in discussions with a number of high quality food retailers who have expressed an interest in locating here, particularly if the Council were to refuse permission for ASDA’s current plans for an out-of-centre foodstore on Hibbert Lane.

I wonder if the phrase 'high quality food retailers' is just a bit of PR-speak - or does it really mean something, such as that they are looking for interest from a Waitrose or Sainsbury's, or even an M&S, rather than an Aldi?

It's also amusing to see the Hibbert Lane site described as as 'out-of-centre', rather than 'edge-of-centre', which it actually is, arguably.   Well they would say that, wouldn't they!   ;)

Dave, I'd not play with you at archery if you reckon the college is 'edge-of-centre'.

I suspect High quality food retailers is a misnomer, Aldi & Lidl are undoubtedly high quality retailers in that they are good at what they do.

JMC

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »
An interesting and much anticipated development. I now look forward to seeing Kirkland’s proposals for the future of further education in Marple, the provision, and possible gifting to the council, of public open space, the provision of good facilities for sports clubs and the community at large, and competitively priced petrol and diesel.

I was also amused by the reference to the Asda project as “out of centre/town” by both Kirkland and MIA, particularly since MIA have previously referred to it as “edge of town” which it appears to be.

Good points, I agree with you also.

JMC

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

I wonder if the phrase 'high quality food retailers' is just a bit of PR-speak - or does it really mean something, such as that they are looking for interest from a Waitrose or Sainsbury's, or even an M&S, rather than an Aldi?

It's also amusing to see the Hibbert Lane site described as as 'out-of-centre', rather than 'edge-of-centre', which it actually is, arguably.   Well they would say that, wouldn't they!   ;)

I agree.

alstan

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:47:09 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
Here's an artist's impression of the proposed Chadwick car park store published in the Stockport Express:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
They are indeed. Good news for the Co-op then.   ;D
So no change back to being ripped of again .

Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
They are indeed. Good news for the Co-op then.   ;D

amazon

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:35:42 PM »
I think the clue lies in the organisation  that sent out the press release , Lexington Communications. They carry out lobbying/PR services for Tesco. So presumably then, a Tesco Express for Chadwick Street it is?

They are dearer than the coop .

guy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
I think the clue lies in the organisation  that sent out the press release , Lexington Communications. They carry out lobbying/PR services for Tesco. So presumably then, a Tesco Express for Chadwick Street it is?

Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
That's an interesting and useful update.  Perhaps the most interesting paragraph is this one:

“We are in discussions with a number of high quality food retailers who have expressed an interest in locating here, particularly if the Council were to refuse permission for ASDA’s current plans for an out-of-centre foodstore on Hibbert Lane.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Chadwick Street / Trinity Street Development Announced
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
The following press release has been made by Kirkland Developments today:

Plans in store for town centre site

Kirkland Developments, a local development company based in Stockport, has today announced that it is bringing forward proposals for a new foodstore in Marple town centre. The store, to be located off Trinity Street where the Royal Mail depot currently stands, will ensure residents can undertake their weekly shop in Marple town centre instead of having to travel out of town, reducing residents’ fuel costs and making food shopping more convenient.

Kirkland’s proposals will also help existing Marple traders by providing an ‘anchor’ in-centre foodstore with free car parking which will increase footfall in the Town Centre, leading to spin-off trade for independent businesses.  The proposed foodstore will also provide a welcome boost to the local economy by retaining spending within Marple and by creating a considerable number of new flexible local jobs.

Kirkland recognises the local concern over the location of a foodstore to serve Marple and has carefully planned the proposals to encourage linked trips between the town centre site and local shops, particularly along Market Street and Trinity Street. The plans include an enhanced pedestrian route from Market Street, between the Bull’s Head Pub and Royal Bank of Scotland, over Trinity Street to the proposed store entrance.

Kirkland Developments want to ensure that local residents are able to view the plans, ask questions of the development team and feed back their views. As such, a public exhibition of the proposals will be held in October and more details of this will be released soon. The launch of Kirkland’s proposals comes as ASDA holds its public exhibition for an out-of-town store on Hibbert Lane.

Rod Hogarth, Managing Director, Kirkland Developments, commented:

“As a local company and the Council’s preferred development partner, we’re pleased to be in a position to bring forward proposals for a foodstore right in the heart of Marple Town Centre.

“This store is in a great location. It will help to increase footfall to the town centre and enable local residents to do their weekly shop at a store in Marple, meaning that they don’t have to travel elsewhere – saving time and money, and helping the local economy.

“It’s important to hear the views of the local community before we submit our planning application and I would encourage those who can attend to come along to our consultation events.”

The proposals represent substantial private investment and will create hundreds of jobs.

A website for the proposals will be established shortly as well as a community information line ready to answer residents’ queries.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website