To advertise on this site

Author Topic: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane  (Read 96769 times)

sooty2

Re: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »
It is correct that people come from other areas. They say they like the shops and the ambience.Some consider Marple a morning or afternoon out.Many people like to visit the park or the canal or have lunch or a coffee while they are here.The compactness of the shopping area has been mentioned quite a lot.

Dave

« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
What's been a real eye opener for me whilst collecting signatures in Marple is the amount of elderly people who make full use of their bus passes and come to Marple from Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde Mossley, New Mills and countless other places to shop in our local shops because as most of them say they no longer have independent shops such as ours due to large supermarkets moving into their area.

That's a very strange list of places, Miss M.  New Mills I can understand.  It's been wrecked as a shopping centre, not by any supermarket in New Mills, of course, but by one in Whaley Bridge.  That's where New Mills people shop nowadays, just as so many Marple people shop in Bredbury and Hazel Grove. 

But I can't understand why anyone would regard Marple as having a better range of independent shops than Glossop.  Glossop (which has a big, Tesco, of course) has an excellent range of local shops -  a lot better than Marple - and is a model for what I believe we can expect if a big supermarket comes here. 

JMC

« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »
I agree Miss M, those services are great when they are provided; but don't you have to be in a critical risk group to recieve them? Social care (older people) is not as universal as health care. For many elderly they would have to pay themselves to have someone come in and do their shopping. Great for those who can afford it, or are lucky to recieve the help of volunteers, but for those who cannot they are left with Co-op etc. Hard work to access many shops if in a mobility scooter, for example.

Miss Marple

« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2011, 09:39:22 PM »
What's been a real eye opener for me whilst collecting signatures in Marple is the amount of elderly people who make full use of their bus passes and come to Marple from Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde Mossley, New Mills and countless other places to shop in our local shops because as most of them say they no longer have independent shops such as ours due to large supermarkets moving into their area.
Going back to what I said about Age Uk they also offer a local shop service for people who can not get out to undertake their own shopping
  Many local elderly people have their meat from the local butcher, bread from the bakers and the like so there is also a service whereby they can employ an agency to shop for them if they can not get to the shops. Via Direct Payments or via a Community Care Assessment  all needs led but the provision is there.

tina

« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Age UK set up Internet shopping for the elderly it works very well.  Age UK takes the order and shops on line for the client or there is a shopping service whereby you can contact Age UK they undertake the shop and you pay them when they deliver. 

Not everyone can/will use age UK though. I'm not getting into a slanging match over it.
Online shopping does not suit all people. I know family members and friends who wont entertain it and why should they? They should have the same right to shop for themselves as the next person. To be able to do it for themselves they need the choice of where to shop, and if they can't drive or can but have no car then they are stuck with over priced items in Marple.
The shops already in Marple have survived already from many people not shopping local, they survive because they have a good reputation so people choose to shop there, just because a supermarket comes to town does not mean they will ditch the shops they already use. If you are saying they will then you have no faith in the Marple people.

Like I said I don't want a slanging match, I just see another side to the arguement.

Miss Marple

« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »
Age UK set up Internet shopping for the elderly it works very well.  Age UK takes the order and shops on line for the client or there is a shopping service whereby you can contact Age UK they undertake the shop and you pay them when they deliver. 

JMC

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »
The thing is though not everyone can do a home delivery, I found that was said quite alot to me at the rally the other week, I DO a online shop, and it suits me fine, but not everyone can and what about the old people who don't need much but would need to spend £25+  £3-£6 delivery charge. Also people like to choose their own food to check the quality and check the best before dates, I have noticed with items I have purchased that the best before is usually the day after it was delivered so not practical for a weeks shop if you have to use everything within a day of buying it.

That is a very good point Tina.

I do online too, mostly. It is a pain when they don't bring an item you are desperate for; say nappies/baby milk or substitute something with something weird and wonderful. Or give near mouldy fruit/veg. It also is quite alot- £5 ish usually- for delivery and the faffing about online doing the shop and trying to get a delivery slot that fits in with work etc. If you add that delivery cost up over a year it is alot of money. And, as you say, not everyone has internet access or a debit/credit card.

tina

« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »

You could pay for a home delivery and still have money in your pocket in relation to doing your shop at the co op .

I'm waffling, I do see your point, but if we all look after ourselves , then no one is looking out for eachother in society, and that's a sad thing  * sniff *  :(

Good post Pink Panther. I agree with both your points. I do my shopping online too on the whole (because it is cheaper than the Co-op mainly), although still use marple shops alot-including Co-op. I also agree that we should look out for each other. Society seems so selfish at times. If only there was a solution to this which pleased everyone ???

Hear, hear!

The thing is though not everyone can do a home delivery, I found that was said quite alot to me at the rally the other week, I DO a online shop, and it suits me fine, but not everyone can and what about the old people who don't need much but would need to spend £25+  £3-£6 delivery charge. Also people like to choose their own food to check the quality and check the best before dates, I have noticed with items I have purchased that the best before is usually the day after it was delivered so not practical for a weeks shop if you have to use everything within a day of buying it.

moonforest

« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »

You could pay for a home delivery and still have money in your pocket in relation to doing your shop at the co op .

I'm waffling, I do see your point, but if we all look after ourselves , then no one is looking out for eachother in society, and that's a sad thing  * sniff *  :(

Good post Pink Panther. I agree with both your points. I do my shopping online too on the whole (because it is cheaper than the Co-op mainly), although still use marple shops alot-including Co-op. I also agree that we should look out for each other. Society seems so selfish at times. If only there was a solution to this which pleased everyone ???

Hear, hear!

alan@marple

« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
Today I needed to drive to the shops, but I had no change, so rather than run the risk of a penalty notice, I drove to one of the free car parks at a supermarket. The small minded attitude of this council is in my opinion to blame for the demise of many local shops with very high bussines rates and no relief on high rent. Is there any wonder that we have so many charity shops?

I watched the programme the other night about the downfall in local shopping areas it was so sad and reflected Marple's situation.
Traders, don't blame the supermarkets, blame the councillors and the parking charges

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
Post overwritten. Admin

I think this link was fantastic in it's own right ( not directed at the yes campaign )   I am going to use this at one of my many boring meetings it will hopefully be my Swan Song to be used as my parting shot! Best thing I have heard for a long time.  I hope admin will allow you to post it somewhere so people can just hear it, as I think it says what a lot of us feel when listening to many politicians or are stuck in endless waffling meetings .  FANTASTIC STUFF !

The way it was used is unacceptable and is likely to result in a ban. Please stay on topic.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
Post overwritten. Admin

I think this link was fantastic in it's own right ( not directed at the yes campaign )   I am going to use this at one of my many boring meetings it will hopefully be my Swan Song to be used as my parting shot! Best thing I have heard for a long time.  I hope admin will allow you to post it somewhere so people can just hear it, as I think it says what a lot of us feel when listening to many politicians or are stuck in endless waffling meetings .  FANTASTIC STUFF !

JMC

« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »

JMC

« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
Hi JMC,  I do not think Sereenas points are less valid because she is a tennant, absolutely not , I think she has some very valid points  ........... I dont think your point was directed at me ( but im not sure, hence the reply to you )  :)

Hi Pink Panther,  no my point wasn't directed at you-sorry if it looked that way though. It was just a general point  :)

Rachael

« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
Hi JMC,  I do not think Sereenas points are less valid because she is a tennant, absolutely not , I think she has some very valid points  ........... I dont think your point was directed at me ( but im not sure, hence the reply to you )  :)