Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Leaked Resignation letter from Stephen Downs ex Governor to CAMSFC  (Read 18291 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Leaked Resignation letter from Stephen Downs ex Governor to CAMSFC
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
I do feel that some people are being a little harsh on the College. Like it or not (and obviously most don't), the College leadership (Governors, etc) have a legal duty to do what is best for their constituents, ie the Students[/size]. And whilst you can make arguments about how a supermarket will affect the quality of life for Marple based students, ultimately it comes down to how much money they can get to redevelop the land and buildings they have left.[/color]
It's a pity that Cheadle and Marple (or Ridge Danyers as it was calling itself then) didn't apply itself to this or around 7 years ago when it had dug itself into a financial hole due to its own stupidity and SMBC threatened to pull the plug on them. The "re-branding" of the college left students in limbo and at least one local company, which had been providing services to the college and its students and had put a lot of money into accomodating them, in a mess. Fortunately, this company recovered but I wonder how many other local concerns were less lucky.

Harry

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 08:00:15 AM »
To my knowledge there are at least two college governors who live in Marple. But perhaps they also don't 'come from Marple'.

Which two Governors live in Marple Harry? If you listen to the video David says that none of the Governors LIVE in Marple. He doesn't use the words "come from" in the "clever" way that you suggest. So he believes that none of them live here - do you know better?

I was quoting Howard's post, Mark. If what you say is true then he has misquoted David Hoyle.

I have no intention of naming anyone on a public forum, as that would expose them to harrassment from those that believe the misinformation that is rife about this affair.

Dave

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 07:28:37 AM »
Lisa, I agree that a college's quality and reputation is about more than its facilities. That said, I used to work in education before I retired. The last college I worked at (not in this area) moved into completely new buildings while I was there. It was a transformation. Student applications shot up, staff and student morale improved, the quality of teaching improved because good staff wanted to come and work there. It made a huge difference, and I have no doubt that it will be the same at camsfc if this scheme goes ahead.

Re becoming a governor, if my experience is anything to go by, the camsfc governors will have something like a 'search committee' whose job it is to identify suitable new governors, and ensure that the governing body keeps an appropriate balance of expertise in its membership. There's nothing to stop anyone writing to the clerk to governors and offering their services, but it's a long-term process, involving succession planning for when existing governors reach the end of their term of office, so don't expect anything to happen quickly.

Rachael

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
Howard brilliant idea.. though if theres only one that person could get rail roaded.. we need a few!

Dave..Aqunas got its reputation for excellent education many years before it got its shiny new buildings so that argument does not wash!  To compete with Aquinas the teaching as well as several other things needs to improve!  maybe even the management! The college has been improving in its rating and reputation over the last few years so they are heading in the right direction..or were!

And I am not opposed to the sale of the land and redevelopemnt on the buxton lane site however I want them to do it in a socially responsible way as befits ANY educational establishment... its not a business regardless of what people try and claim.. its a community facility that has  more than a basic responsibility to OUR children.

Then theres the other issue.. has it been confirmed without a doubt that any money raised is definitely going to be used to redevelop buxton lane.. or are we maybe going to see the demise of that and then have NO educational facilities beyond 16?

I like this post, and agree with Lisa .....  I actually initially voted for " I dont mind " on the poll on this website, ...  I tried to  slope  past the MIA tent on Market St in my supermarket uniform attire  last week  ( my second job )  .... and didnt escape  ;D  ... but all for the right reasons . .  I wasnt hissed or booed at :)  ( im teasing )

moonforest

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
There was a comment today from David Hoyle that "not one of the college governers comes from Marple". There were a few comments of "shocking" and "disgraceful" from the crowd.

That's a very clever use of words.

I don't 'come from Marple', but I've now lived here for over 25 years.

To my knowledge there are at least two college governors who live in Marple. But perhaps they also don't 'come from Marple'.

Harry, I'd have to disagree with the suggestion that this was some sort of devious play on words. I've lived in Marple for 31 years and would say that I come from Marple....because I do! Marple is my home, my children have lived here all their lives....I think that qualifies us as "coming from Marple".

Miss Marple

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
There was  only two governors that lived local to MARPLE that was Stephen Downs who lives in MARPLE Bridge, but has stood down due to the college proposing to sell the land to a supermarket chain.
The other person is Margaret Mclay who was a council governour but lost her seat at the last election so she is now just a governour and she lives in Compstall.  It's all on the web Harry, Christina Cassidy lives in Stoke, three governors work at MMU and one is a consultant who works for Stepping Hill Hospital and he is also a governour for the NHS foundation trust.   If you need any questions answering Harry feel free to ask me. Cheers MM

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »

Which two Governors live in Marple Harry? If you listen to the video David says that none of the Governors LIVE in Marple. He doesn't use the words "come from" in the "clever" way that you suggest. So he believes that none of them live here - do you know better?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
There was a comment today from David Hoyle that "not one of the college governers comes from Marple". There were a few comments of "shocking" and "disgraceful" from the crowd.

That's a very clever use of words.

I don't 'come from Marple', but I've now lived here for over 25 years.

chicken lady

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »
Howard brilliant idea.. though if theres only one that person could get rail roaded.. we need a few!

Dave..Aqunas got its reputation for excellent education many years before it got its shiny new buildings so that argument does not wash!  To compete with Aquinas the teaching as well as several other things needs to improve!  maybe even the management! The college has been improving in its rating and reputation over the last few years so they are heading in the right direction..or were!

And I am not opposed to the sale of the land and redevelopemnt on the buxton lane site however I want them to do it in a socially responsible way as befits ANY educational establishment... its not a business regardless of what people try and claim.. its a community facility that has  more than a basic responsibility to OUR children.

Then theres the other issue.. has it been confirmed without a doubt that any money raised is definitely going to be used to redevelop buxton lane.. or are we maybe going to see the demise of that and then have NO educational facilities beyond 16?

yes Aquinas have had a good academic reputation, but I have to say that when my son , (now aged 25) and I went to an open night there, I found them very patronising, he wanted to do electronics A level and was told he couldn't do without doing it jointly with Physics, the tutor we spoke to was not helpful at all. he went to CAMSFC, got A levels in Electronics, Physics, maths  and subsequently got a degree from Manchester Uni. All my boys went to CAMSFC and have all been on to University

Howard

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
Don't forget that there WAS a Marple Bridge based Governor who felt compelled to resign because he was opposed to the college's intended course of action.

Looking at the list on the Marple-in-Action web site it appears there is only one parent-governor left, Ian Doughty.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »

Don't forget that there WAS a Marple Bridge based Governor who felt compelled to resign because he was opposed to the college's intended course of action.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
...Then theres the other issue.. has it been confirmed without a doubt that any money raised is definitely going to be used to redevelop buxton lane.. or are we maybe going to see the demise of that and then have NO educational facilities beyond 16?

That's a good question.  No concrete details yet, although a FOI was submitted for these details on 17th August.

Dear Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College,

Please provide details of the college's plans concerning the
intended use of any proceeds gained from the proposed Hibbert Lane
site sale.

Yours faithfully,

Neil Corrie

sgk

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
That's a very good post Howard and so true !  I wonder if Christina would allow me to join the board of Governours ?  Well it maybe worth a try  ;)

I know there were many people at the march who have children there who will be students in September. There is a parent govenor's position. We need to get someone to stand for that position.

What's the process that the college uses for appointing govenors to the committee? Anyone know?

Good point.  Here's their process, Becoming a governor.  Seems only appropriate that the community has a voice on the committee. 

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 06:38:49 PM »

Dave..Aqunas got its reputation for excellent education many years before it got its shiny new buildings so that argument does not wash!  To compete with Aquinas the teaching as well as several other things needs to improve!  maybe even the management! The college has been improving in its rating and reputation over the last few years so they are heading in the right direction..or were!

And I am not opposed to the sale of the land and redevelopemnt on the buxton lane site however I want them to do it in a socially responsible way as befits ANY educational establishment... its not a business regardless of what people try and claim.. its a community facility that has  more than a basic responsibility to OUR children.

Howard

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
That's a very good post Howard and so true !  I wonder if Christina would allow me to join the board of Governours ?  Well it maybe worth a try  ;)

I know there were many people at the march who have children there who will be students in September. There is a parent govenor's position. We need to get someone to stand for that position.

What's the process that the college uses for appointing govenors to the committee? Anyone know?