A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Leaked Resignation letter from Stephen Downs ex Governor to CAMSFC  (Read 18288 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Leaked Resignation letter from Stephen Downs ex Governor to CAMSFC
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
That's a very good post Howard and so true !  I wonder if Christina would allow me to join the board of Governours ?  Well it maybe worth a try  ;)

Howard

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
There was a comment today from David Hoyle that "not one of the college governers comes from Marple". There were a few comments of "shocking" and "disgraceful" from the crowd.

I can't help feeling that it's not really the college's fault. If we really care about our college then the people of Marple should actually be STANDING for places on the committee, not just moaning about how poor it is that there is no community representation. I'm sure somebody else knows, but the next time there's an election or a position opens on the committee, I hope that we have somebody lined up for election or application for the position.

Perhaps having more local people on the committee would help them to become more integrated with the community which is clearly one of the biggest issues here. They are NOT involved with the community in the way that the local schools are.

Dave

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »
Lisa argues persuasively that the college should regard itself as having a wider responsibility to the area, but I think her post misrepresents the college's position, and those who oppose this scheme might be more successful if they really understand where the college is coming from. It's certainly not a matter of 'pretty buildings and nice computers.' We are talking about 80-year-old buildings of poor quality, designed for a different purpose, which are inefficient and probably expensive to maintain and heat. By replacing those premises, the college can both cut its costs and improve the learning environment, not to mention compete with Aquinas (with its shiny new buildings), and maybe even Marple Hall if it becomes an academy and starts a sixth form. From the college's perspective it's a no-brainer!

Duke Fame

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
I think Marpleexile's point is very valid. decisions will not be taken by local people and there is a natural view of these sort of campaigns as NIMBYism. The case against the supermarket needs to be based on valid objections rather than emotions.

Smithy166

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »
Apologises for the double post,
After reading the description of the letter above again, along with some of the FOI's that have been answered i'm starting to wounder weither the college is trying to hide something form us, apart from "who will buy the site". What exactly they are trying to hide i'm not sure, however, it looks like it could be that a "under the table" deal has already taken place, and that that actual exchange of "official" funds will actually be rather small. Almost as if whatever company is buying the site has already payed the deposit, and now just has to Pay the last chunk...

Smithy166

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
I also feel that I should voice my concerns with regards to dragging up the past.
The attacks on various parties by people on this forum were unacceptable, and we all know that, However, The "attackers" have been spoken to with regards to therre comments.
In the eyes of everyone else the matter is closed, So please, stop dragging the past up, as dragging the past up only hinders progress, and after all, were not going to win this war unless we "move foward" and take ground.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
Id also like to mention to alstan and marpleexile that the unwarranted personal attacks, which I also objected to, are now history... a lot of people are very involved in this campaigns and credit to them for being so determined..it is easy to over step the mark they are NOT politicians.. they are NOT media gurus and they are not highly polished campaigners!! But they are getting there now...

So please stop bringing that issue up...give credit where its due and see that current posts are not personal attacks.

as to the "truths".. we know for fact..as its been proven over and over again (and I think you should stop reiterating it now Miss Marple.  The points have been made and i feel theres a few here that are just trying to undermine that approach now) that it s asda... with a secondary, currently failed bid, by tesco. Its been confirmed by correspondence, and then public statements, that they are only looking at the supermarket, maximum amount, bids.

(Is also clear the college is playing damage limitation and being economical with the truth based on what we know 9 above) and the public statements they have made..

As for the college... see my previous response... and then some... they are OUR COLLEGE.. primarily for OUR children... have they no pride in their location, no concern for the neighbourhood, no social conscience what so ever!  I will reconsider sending my children there because of these things!

The number of articles and studies and campaigns going on right now,.. the national political concern for the proliferation of big supermarkets and the mostly negative effects on local neighbourhoods should be considered by the college.. Their responsibility to their students is much more far reaching than just grabbing as much money as possible to produce good facilities.. there is a lot more involved in education than pretty buildings and nice computers.  As a local organisation they do have a local responsibility and they are ignoring this.

Now to me this forum is being used to raise legitimate concerns about the proposed development, everything that was questionable has now been proven not necessarily by the college saying this or asda saying that but a culmination of evidence. I dont understand why we are questioning anything now expect to undermine  well meaning individuals.

moonforest

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 04:27:54 AM »
Nothing wrong with NIMBY because  our "back yard" is a special one and we don't want it spoiling....simples.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:48 AM »
I'd argue that the "best interests of the college" is not necessarily getting the best possible price for the site. 

They will still be in Marple and need Marple people to support them.  whereas an Asda store will be used and a success even though its currently opposed... the college might not have the same success or local respect and might not be able to bring in the calibre of students they require to build a good educational reputation.

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
Hey you cheeky monkey ! I hope you are not referring to me  ;). Because if it hadn't been for me the first we would have known about it was when we saw it stuck to a lamp post or we were being asked to look at the plans in the local library.  Well don't worry about MARPLE MIA will look after it until you return, then you maybe able to join us  ???  Always remember the leaked emails and what they said, because thats what makes it personal.  I think really I  am being a little unfair on you, because unlike me you have not been in meetings with the college and possibley  not had sight of the leaked emails or indeed spoken to teachers, students and concerned college staff who are also being kept in the dark by the college. So all I ask is for you to reserve your judgement of me and when your not a Marpleexile anymore and back living in MARPLE you may have a better understanding  ??? So let's not have a bun fight just yet ? :-*

marpleexile

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
The name Marpleexile does make me wonder if these are the views of someone who lives in Marple or just USED to live in Marple  ???

Used to, and will be back early next year, hence my interest in this subject.

Not that it has any relevance to what I posted though.

I support the campaign, but it's tone, as voiced by some of it's more notable members on here, does it no favours.

At the moment, a lot of the arguments against are only one step above NIMBY, or are just personal attacks against College, etc. There needs to be more substance to the arguments.

The point made in another thread about crime near local supermarkets just in June, vs crime at the college over the last 6 months is just the sort of thing that is needed.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
The name Marpleexile does make me wonder if these are the views of someone who lives in Marple or just USED to live in Marple  ???
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
I agree with marplexile that the governors of the college have no choice but to seek the best possible price for the land. They have what is rather grandly called a 'fiduciary duty' to the college, which binds them always to act in its best interests. However, I do agree with Miss M that they have handled the PR very clumsily. It's easy to be clever with hindsight, but the college would have played their hand much better by being open about their plans from the outset, rather than trying to hush them up.
As for Mr Downs, the governor who has resigned, he surely had little choice: in opposing a plan which would have got the best price for the land, he was acting against the interests of his own college, and therefore would have had to resign.

Miss Marple

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
marpleexile's post is reasonable, logical and objective and is therefore bound to be criticised. On the subject of potshots someone was reporting on this forum some days ago that they had trawled through the college's OFSTED report apparently looking for negative comments and there was also a gleeful report that Marple Hall's possible academy status would deprive the college of a significant part of its intake. What has all that got to do with thecampaign?

Nothing

alstan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »
marpleexile's post is reasonable, logical and objective and is therefore bound to be criticised. On the subject of potshots someone was reporting on this forum some days ago that they had trawled through the college's OFSTED report apparently looking for negative comments and there was also a gleeful report that Marple Hall's possible academy status would deprive the college of a significant part of its intake. What has all that got to do with thecampaign?