Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: would you use Tesco / ASDA or any other supermarket if it came to marple .  (Read 40340 times)

Mr Marple

Simply repeating Moonforest, I'd hate to see Marple's community go down the drain because some people want to make a profit.

Ignorance and or the fact that people simply don't know the ways in which Marple will deteriorate should be addressed and thankfully leaflets are to be  handed out.

I do not look forward to bunged up roads due to the extra traffic, I do not want to have to drive on damaged roads due to the increased usage which would inevitably bring more interuptions because of the road works.

I'd like to know what the co-op think about this Tesco issue, if you know please say.

JMC

I agree with you. But I think more people will come on board if they are given info/leaflets with the deeper issues and effect on community. Several people (luckily a minority) I spoke to about it seemed pleased at the thought of a Tesco in Marple. All mentioned the coop being too expensive/rubbish/having a monopoly. So any campaigns need to address all these angles and the coop also could do something to show they are going to improve otherwise the promise of lower prices will win through for some people.

moonforest

I have spoke to a few people about the possible supermarket and their view and am surprised how many people seem keen on the idea. Mainly as they don't like the coop as it is expensive and some people mention jobs.

Also after what happened with closing Offerton School and the 2 marple Schools, I don't really believe the council actually will listen, plentry of people protested there too.

Even though it seems like a daunting task I feel it is well worth fighting against this Tesco because I believe it would have a negative impact on the community nature of Marple in a way that most of us would regret in the end.

JMC

I have spoke to a few people about the possible supermarket and their view and am surprised how many people seem keen on the idea. Mainly as they don't like the coop as it is expensive and some people mention jobs.

Also after what happened with closing Offerton School and the 2 marple Schools, I don't really believe the council actually will listen, plentry of people protested there too.

neil f

we would use the co-op if they had an honest pricing policy and some of the staff recieved some customer service training.

sleepless

I would use a small supermarket if it was in the town centre, not if it was in a residential area.  I boycott Tesco also - they are the Rupert Murdoch of supermarkets.

Dave

Good grief, is my bald patch really that big  :o

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Great turnout tonight at Marple Area Committee, forcing the meeting into the park!

Marple in Action Now has the front page: http://www.marple-uk.com/Marple.htm
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

I thought that fighing for local shops was more important that having to travel to either Hazel Grove, Bredbury or if you really want to shop at Tescos Glossop or Whalley Bridge.

Apart from Glossop, Marple has a much bigger population than any of those places.  It's high time we had a decent supermarket - it's a bit bizarre that we have to drive several miles to a smaller place to find one! 

Bartlett

It is alright the people of Marple who live on the other side of the precinct saying yes to certain supermarket's.

If you lived on Hibbert Lane, or any other road that backs onto the college campus you would be upset and say no to any supermarket.

At the moment the college has its bins emptied on a Thursday morning at 4 am.  The sound travels all around.  Imagine what it will be like with deliveries every day.

How inconsiderate some people are about this.  They are only thinking of themselves and not the community.  Shops will close because people will not travel into Marple and pay to park after they have been to a supermarket that will sell everything else.

Do you really want to see a ghost town and a supermarket taking over the community.  I thought that fighing for local shops was more important that having to travel to either Hazel Grove, Bredbury or if you really want to shop at Tescos Glossop or Whalley Bridge.

Think about this carefully about how this will down value the property that is already lower than most places just so you can shop at a supermarket in Marple.

Dave

To use the Coop in Marple many, many people (myself included) walk / travel well over a mile so I don't fully understand your point as I would still consider that to be local?

My point is that many many of us, sadly, are too lazy to do that, Jo - as in Duke's example:

people are very lazy, they will not walk to the town from a supermarket on Hibbert lane they will see it as 200 yds too far.  I’ve seen people shop in Morrisons and drive to Homebase, they will not walk around Marple.

Taurus

that bit about people driving from morrisons to homebase made me laugh. Even though it would be quicker to walk than drive out then in again, it doesn't surprise me.

It reminded me of that scene in the old 80's comedy Just Good Friends, when he says he is just nipping out to get a bottle of wine, gets in his car and drives to the off licence across the road.

Jo Scarlett

To use the Coop in Marple many, many people (myself included) walk / travel well over a mile so I don't fully understand your point as I would still consider that to be local?

I would not be opposed however, to the opening of a Sainsburys/Tesco Local (as in Romiley) opening up on Market Street as this would add variety and choice to our village, but an 'out of town' sized operation on Hibbert Lane would be a disaster, in my opinion.

Dave

Morrison's and Aldi are in Cheadle Heath, not Edgeley - it's nearly a mile away, and that's the problem.

The New Mills Co-op is certainly not large (it's much smaller than our Co-op), and crucially, it's too far from the town centre. 

Incidentally, the small supermarket in the middle of New Mills (the one that houses the post office and has recently been a Spar), is apparently about to re-open as a Sainsbury's - presumably just the convenience store version, like the one in Romiley? 

Jo Scarlett

I disagree, New Mills has a large Coop and Edgeley / Cheadle Heath have a Morrisons and an Aldi.