Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: would you use Tesco / ASDA or any other supermarket if it came to marple .  (Read 40225 times)

hollins

Yes, I would use Tesco - or, better still, Sainsburys - if they came to Marple.

If they were forced to improve the roads and help the college financially as a condition of coming here then all the better: I don't recall the Co-op doing either.

Duke Fame

Tesco or Sainsbury - NO on principle >:(
If located on Hibbert Lane - whatever it was, definitely NO on principle  >:(
Wouldn't mind a small scale alternative to the Co-op located in the old Hanbury's or Iceland (Iceland Group is currently up for sale, so the store on Market St may eventually change hands depending who buys out the Group), or some other suitable location within the District Centre, preferably not Tesco or Sainsburys though!  :)
Would prefer to see the Hibbert Lane campus used for affordable housing for young families or retired folks and something like a community centre for the benefit of Marple people.  :) :)
As I said before - how come a small group of College Governors can hold Marple to ransom  ???

I agree to a 'no' in principal. I think the other options of coop alternatives are not going to happen. The hanbry shop will not suit a coop competitor. Iceland may be up for sale but it's the group not the stores so anyone taking over is as likely to keep the Iceland brand or perhaps a similar model may take it such as farmfoods.

How about the college only sells part of the plot to a lidl sized shop. That would be acceptable to me.

Catwoman

Tesco or Sainsbury - NO on principle >:(
If located on Hibbert Lane - whatever it was, definitely NO on principle  >:(
Wouldn't mind a small scale alternative to the Co-op located in the old Hanbury's or Iceland (Iceland Group is currently up for sale, so the store on Market St may eventually change hands depending who buys out the Group), or some other suitable location within the District Centre, preferably not Tesco or Sainsburys though!  :)
Would prefer to see the Hibbert Lane campus used for affordable housing for young families or retired folks and something like a community centre for the benefit of Marple people.  :) :)
As I said before - how come a small group of College Governors can hold Marple to ransom  ???

Lisa Oldham

it would still be cheaper to travel to asda and buy there so no to everyone but asda!  For extras its not going to be that close to me so convenience would still mean spar or  coop.

Duke Fame

I haven't shopped at a Tesco in some time and am even more less inclined to do so since they had a promotion that used greyhound racing as a 'lure'.  The racing industry is vile and cruel please look at this site:

http://www.greyhoundaction.org.uk/greyhound.html

They have a nerve, they built on the local greyhound track at Where I used to live. Mind I preferred whippets for racing.

Ali Bee

I haven't shopped at a Tesco in some time and am even more less inclined to do so since they had a promotion that used greyhound racing as a 'lure'.  The racing industry is vile and cruel please look at this site:

http://www.greyhoundaction.org.uk/greyhound.html

Harry

No, we wouldn't all end up using it if it was a Tesco. If it ended up as any of the supermarkets that think that price is more important than quality then I, and no doubt many others, would never set foot in it.

I don't use Tesco now, and have no intention of ever doing. Wherever they may open.

Dave

I'd rather it wasn't a Tesco (so irritating!), but even if it was, we'd all end up using it, wouldn't we.  After all, what other options do we have:

1.  The Co-op.  Limited choice, shelves sometimes half-empty, can be a bit pricey.
2.  Morrison's.  Good shop, decent value, but 4.5 miles away.  Crawling traffic in Bredbury is a pain.
3.  Sainsbury's. 4.5 miles away.  Can be pricey. Tag line ('try something new today') almost as irritating and patronising as Tesco's 'every little helps'! 

heather

i think everyone would use it if it was cheaper and  closer than the co-op

Duke Fame

Tesco - No.
Asda  - No.
Waitrose - Not even in a famine would I pay those prices for some poncy packaging
Sainsburys - No
Moggys - yes
Netto - perhaps
Aldi - use the one near the gym
Lidl - perhaps

In fact, I think I'd boycott in principal. I'm still boycotting Sharp, Reg Vardy, Vaux, Vodafone and Candy washing machines

ericthehamster

Mine's the same as Harry, with an additional "yes" to M&S food (but probably for the odd luxury to supplement the main shop at co-op).

M&S and Waitrose came out the best ethically in the Shopped book (mentioned elsewhere!).

http://www.foe.co.uk/living/articles/shopped.html
http://idler.co.uk/conversations/conversations-joanna-blythman/

Belly

Yes - it would save a trip to Tesco Stockport or Sainsbury Hazel Grove

tina

yes I would :)

Harry

Tesco - No.
Asda  - No.
Waitrose - Yes, most definitely.
Sainsburys - Yes.

amazon

Honest answers please some of you have said you shop regularly in Marple but not for your main shop
 would you use tesco or any other supermarket if it came to Marple .