A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: would you use Tesco / ASDA or any other supermarket if it came to marple .  (Read 40232 times)

My login is Henrietta

No, I would not as a matter of principle. Hibbert Lane is a residential, not a commercial area. Why should the community suffer because the college has been unable to do its sums and manage its finances for years.

Duke Fame

Anyone thinking they spend less in a large supermarket might do well to do some reading up on supermarket psychology. In fact it is probably cheaper to shop in small local shops where you buy the items you set out to shop for, whereas in a supermarket you are manipulated from the moment you enter into spending far more than you originally intended!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3634141/They-have-ways-of-making-you-spend.html

Of course that is true, the other point is that it is better to buy what you need for that day every day. You would not choose some food from the shelves that has been out for a week yet it seems everyone does a weekly shop.

Sareena

I would shop at a new supermarket, I would be happy living across from it. I could even get a job there :) It would be nice to be able to afford a actual weekly shopping trip which is something i have not been able to afford for awhile.

mum_of_2

Anyone thinking they spend less in a large supermarket might do well to do some reading up on supermarket psychology. In fact it is probably cheaper to shop in small local shops where you buy the items you set out to shop for, whereas in a supermarket you are manipulated from the moment you enter into spending far more than you originally intended!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3634141/They-have-ways-of-making-you-spend.html

Have you ever been into iceland for say milk or bread and come out with a couple of bags? Marples iceland is small. I can go into the co-op and spend way over the odds for a few measly items. Larger shops may have their phycology....but at least you get more for your money.....

Marplenewbie

mum_of_2

I would definitely shop at any supermarket that was to open on Hibbert Lane. I buy what I can at Iceland (because I like the staff in there and the prices are good) and that won't change. I object to paying over the odds for food as close to it's sell by date as they can get away with, so I don't shop at Co-op (plus I like the staff to at least acknowledge me when I shop, not continue their conversation with their colleagues!) Therefore at the moment I buy essentials at Iceland and drive at least 4/5 miles to Morrisons or Asda. Plus, what a Godsend it would be to have a new Swimming baths/leisure centre!!! Marple baths is shocking!! :o Let's hope they have a petrol station too!!
i Totally agree, i do not drive so unfortunatly i have to burden friends and family and ask them to take me shopping....that or regretably shop in the over-priced, stuck up co-op.
We regulary shop in iceland, the butchers, wilsons and many more due to the fact its either cheap or better value....i dont think a tesco or asda will change where i shop as i have shopped there for years.....i just cannot wait to see all the people who are saying no, do a weekly shop in a supermarket they didnot want on that particuar site. If the supermarket des win the bid but does not get planning permission then all this uld be forhing. So i have decided that ill not sign any petition, i iend to have a yes poster in my windoand i will leave it as thatas i cant be bothered wasting my time energy and money on something which mmight end up being worthless

Duke Fame

I would definitely shop at any supermarket that was to open on Hibbert Lane. I buy what I can at Iceland (because I like the staff in there and the prices are good) and that won't change. I object to paying over the odds for food as close to it's sell by date as they can get away with, so I don't shop at Co-op (plus I like the staff to at least acknowledge me when I shop, not continue their conversation with their colleagues!) Therefore at the moment I buy essentials at Iceland and drive at least 4/5 miles to Morrisons or Asda. Plus, what a Godsend it would be to have a new Swimming baths/leisure centre!!! Marple baths is shocking!! :o Let's hope they have a petrol station too!!

Will they have those vibro plates at the new leisure centre & what days are the spinning classes on?

sooty2

Swimming pool/leisure centre?Who is paying for that then?it is just rumour.The possibilityof a major supermarket is not a rumour,(sadly) I cannot understand why people would want a major supermarket instead of a nice town centre containing lots of different shops?

Moonbeam

bluebelly

i dont want any supermarket on the hibbert lane site but being honest , if there was one there i would shop at it...

Dave

I'm more than happy to have my assessment of the attitude towards our councillors at the meeting in the park questioned by others who were there, but certainly not by those who only saw clips on youtube! The atmosphere towards the councillors at thet meeting was quite intimidatory, but you wouldn't know that unless you were there. 

Smithy166

Were you at the meeting in the park, Smithy?
Unfortunatly I had prior arangements, however, I did send a Friend there to act as a Rep, and a few family friends were also in attendance.

Harry

Tesco - yes
Asda - yes

We currently buy all our meat, bread etc from Marple shops and do ourbigshop at Tesco either on-line or at Whalley Bridge. Our shopping habits wouldn't change we would just do our big shop at whichever supermarket that waste open on Hibbert Lane.

... and thereby reduce the amount of traffic going out from and returning to Marple. Just like thousands of others.

Prucilla

Tesco - yes
Asda - yes

We currently buy all our meat, bread etc from Marple shops and do ourbigshop at Tesco either on-line or at Whalley Bridge. Our shopping habits wouldn't change we would just do our big shop at whichever supermarket that waste open on Hibbert Lane.

Dave

Were you at the meeting in the park, Smithy?