Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: would you use Tesco / ASDA or any other supermarket if it came to marple .  (Read 40260 times)

Maria

I disagree that a supermarket on Hibbert lane is the best place-I do not object to another supermarket in the main shopping area but I do on Hibbert lane.  My reason amongst others is that I live on Hibbert lane and do not wish to live facing a monstrosity of a supermarket-I am sure none of you would either.  Furthermore the increased traffic it would create is a concern for both my family and myself.  The college is not a crime hotspot for teenagers fighting-in over 5 years I have only known of one or two disturbances at the youth centre-yes the college alarm goes off every now and then but it is hardly a major issue.

The Co-op does need competition but not at the expense of the local residents, traders and others.  Lets be realistic this will not be a store the size of the Co-op.  On the Hibbert lane site you can fit at least 4 Co-op stores so it could resemble something the size of the Portwood site.  Scary proposition if you ask me.

Smithy166

Having been at the other end of that, with councillors attempting to intimidate me on several occasions ..and in fact at one point two notable very tall male marple councillors ( I'm only 5 7!) .. one still in office who was at the park... shouting and screaming at me in a council chamber.. I think they can deal with a little bit of gentle intimidation from a crowd of Marple folk.  No I wasn't at the meeting but I've seen the you tube and I'm sorry they were VERY well behaved!!

I aggree, The people who attended the meeting at the park set a very good example, after all, they could have turned it into a giant shouting match, with everyone screaming at each other, insted, they each waited there turn to put there question forward.

Lisa Oldham

Having been at the other end of that, with councillors attempting to intimidate me on several occasions ..and in fact at one point two notable very tall male marple councillors ( I'm only 5 7!) .. one still in office who was at the park... shouting and screaming at me in a council chamber.. I think they can deal with a little bit of gentle intimidation from a crowd of Marple folk.  No I wasn't at the meeting but I've seen the you tube and I'm sorry they were VERY well behaved!!

Dave

Lisa, my belief, like yours, is based on talking to friends and acquaintances in the area. Re the bullying of the councillors, maybe that was too strong a word, but if you were at the meeting in the park last month you would have witnessed quite and intimidating atmosphere.
I think sgk's comparative crime statistics are interesting, but they may tell us more about Portwood and 'Staly Vegas' than they do about Tesco ;-)

Lisa Oldham

I don't believe they do.

disagree

I disagree because I've talked to an awful lot of people about it.. I'd say 100s in fact since this started.. and thats as someone who is  NOT involved in anyway with MIA apart from pushing the FB page every couple of days and i havent attended any meetings or stood in marple precinct...

Whats your belief based on please? 

bullying Marple councillors????  LM*O !!!

sgk

People living on Hibbert Lane are worried it would effect the value of their homes....surely not as much as a college with a youth centre outside where drunken fights are known to break out!

Disagree with most of your points, but this one's just plumb wrong.

Supermarkets tend to be a crime hotspot.  Don't take my word for it, see the police force's own stats, links below.

Tesco, Portwood, Stockport : 13 crimes during June alone.

Tesco, Stalybridge : 16 crimes during June alone.

CAMSFC Hibbert Lane, Marple : 0 crimes during June, May, April, March.  7 in February.

Miss Marple

I would use it, and so would most of us, including many of those who are making the most noise in opposing the idea! What concerns me is that the fuss and commotion created by these vociferous opponents, who now appear to have bullied our councillors into acquiescence, could create the impression that they represent a majority view. I don't believe they do.

That is not right ! We have made it very clear to all that would listen that this is not political.  The councillors have done this without consulting MIA they have started their own campaign 3 months  I might add behind MIA.  
FROM IT'S BEGININGS WE  HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT MARPLE IN ACTION WAS AND STILL IS THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE AND NOT A POLITICAL PLATFORM AND THAT IS HOW IT WILL CONTINUE

Tricky

meh

Dave

I would use it, and so would most of us, including many of those who are making the most noise in opposing the idea! What concerns me is that the fuss and commotion created by these vociferous opponents, who now appear to have bullied our councillors into acquiescence, could create the impression that they represent a majority view. I don't believe they do.

equinox

I totally agree with alstan, I would love the supermarket to go ahead and would still get my fruit and veg from the local shops and use the bakery's, etc and so would all the people complaining about it, so the shops would still thrive. If the issue isn't with the store itsself and just with the location why not mention at meeting etc the idea of building somewhere like Cross Lane at the Piecefield School site? I personally don't see there being a problem with Hibbert Lane but some people clearly do and the Piecefield site just has the coach depo and car garage facing it, it could make a prime location. 

alstan

The posts from equinox, freddy, and hollins have got it right. The threat to existing shops in Marple is grossly overstated. They have been competing with supermarkets for the last 20 years and have survived. They rely on a large band of dedicated supporters, the great majority of whom must already do the bulk of their shopping in supermarkets but prefer to use local shops for specific items for a number of reasons, loyalty, quality, personal service to name a few. Those people will not change to a supermarket even if it is on their doorstep.
I was in Towcester last week, a market town with a smaller population than Marple. They have a Coop supermarket and a Waitrose within yards of the main street, each with its free car park.There is a Tesco superstore, about 3600 sq m (significantly less than half the size of a football pitch for those who prefer a descriptive measurement!) and a Homebase about 400 yards away.
It also has a thriving shopping street possibly due to the fact that local people are not forced to drive elsewhere for their basic shopping

Smithy166

... If it means that there isn't such a stream of Marpudlians(?) driving several extra miles to a decent supermarket in Bredbury or Hazel Grove that would be good for the environment...

I must argue against that, Granted, there would be less people from marple producing greenhouse gasses, however, any reduction in emissions would be quickly balanced out by the building of the store, along with the stream of cars now coming into marple, not out of it. It might actually result in a rise in emissions! (not to mentions the noise and light pollution increase)

hollins

Yes, I would use ASDA/Tesco if it came to Marple and was built on Hibbert Lane.

I would also continue to use the "small shops" for non-food items just as much as before.

Yes, money talks, and if it is used to improve things then I don't see a problem. If we get a decent, up-to-date set of 6th-form college buildings within walking distance of young people in Marple that would be excellent. If we get a bright new swimming pool I think that would be good. If it means that there isn't such a stream of Marpudlians(?) driving several extra miles to a decent supermarket in Bredbury or Hazel Grove that would be good for the environment.

Best scenario (my opinion, anyway):
- ASDA come to Hibbert Lane and are forced to rebuild the swimming pool and fund the maintenance of Marple's parks as "compensation";
- The Co-op leaves the centre of Marple in a huff because they can't compete;
- Sainsbury's takes over the Co-op's buildings in the centre of Marple.

Freddy

I would use Tesco/Asda at Hibbert lane or as previously suggested a Tesco Express or M&SFoods in the old Hanburys.This building is so unsightly and spoils The Hollins.
When we are all tightening our belts due to the economic climate why would you want to pay more for your essentials and the bigger supermarkets offer more choice and better value.
Tesco are usually willing to give something back to the community,maybe a new swimming pool and leisure centre could be suggested.
Also you get 3 hours free parking with Tesco which would encourage people to wander into Marple centre for a browse,coffee or lunch.
We just need to make Market st.and Derby Way more inviting.

equinox

I would use a supermarket in Marple. I like many find it so difficult having to get the unreliable bus service in to Stockport to do my weekly or even monthly shop. I don't understand why people feel it would cause such a problem! If you take a look up and down Marple high street recently you will notice the majority of shops are takeaways and hairdresser's - these are not exactly going to be affected by a supermarket! The only shop that would suffer is the co-op which most people agree they do not do their main shop there as it is so expensive. People need to stop and look at the bigger picture and the benefits a supermarket would bring to out little village - it would save people money by not needing to take the car to Stockport with the ever increasing petrol costs or having to (like me) struggle with many bags on the buses. It would create much needed jobs in and Marple and the surrounding aeries in a time of economic down turn. People living on Hibbert Lane are worried it would effect the value of their homes....surely not as much as a college with a youth centre outside where drunken fights are known to break out! If you take a look at Edgeley and Cheadle Heath they are still thriving, popular towns and Morrison's, Aldi, and the build of the new Tesco's in Cheadle heath has not effected them in the slightest. I sometimes feel people are too quick to complain without thinking of the long term out come and benefits, look at the situation with Dan Bank there was a mass of complaints about the work due to the trees being cut down, however the fact of the matter is if the work wasn't done the road would have collapsed due to subsidence! I hope people can see it as I do a see the benefits a supermarket can bring to everyone who lives here and I really hope it goes ahead.