Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Keeping the towpath clean and tidy  (Read 11914 times)

alastair

Keeping the towpath clean and tidy
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 09:08:45 AM »
And who said having a go in here never worked!!

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 07:13:05 AM »
I write with regard to the litter bin on the canal side in Marple. As the Group Manager for the street cleaning department (Streetscene) I felt that it would be helpful to let you all know the situation with this particular bin.

The bin in question has never been included in the street cleaning regime as the Council are not responsible for the Canal towpaths. In order to ascertain whose responsibility it is I have made a calll to British Waterways and other departments within the Council. After speaking to British Waterways they informed me that they also had no record of the bin.

In order to ensure the area remains litter free I have instructed the newly appointed dedicated operative for Marple Centre to check it and remove any litter on a regular basis through the week. If anyone wishes to report a problem with the bin, they may contact the Councils' Contact Centre free of charge on 0800 068 4996.

Alternatively anyone wishing to discuss the matter further may contact me direct on 0161 474 5679.

Mark Cotterill
Group Manager
Streetscene Services

alan@marple

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 03:38:07 PM »
Day 4: 2.pm

My faith is streetscene has been restored (at last).

As I have previously written, I took on board Aslam's comments and sent an email to Streetscene and to British Waterways.

I am delighted to say, that I have just seen the street cleansing operative. He has cleaned up the mess, and in doing so has filled several bags of rubbish, so many I think as to warrant a special collection.

He told me that he had come from Stockport having been instructed to tidy up the  mess.

When I inquired if he was the regular cleaner he told me that he was not, but he would like to be. His name is Paul, and he was a most pleasant individual and obviously took a pride in his work.

Well done Streetscene..can we p;lease   keep Paul for Marple.

alan@marple

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 02:47:30 PM »
I have given further thought to Aslam's comments, of which I entertain no doubt, were given in the spirit of good intention and civic pride.

So I have, by copy of this subject, informed Streetscene and also British Waterways

Will it help?.

Day 3 Rubbish still overflowing

alan@marple

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 09:10:05 AM »
Thank you Aslan for your comment, the reason for me "having a go" as you put it, is that by putting the issue on this, our community website, as a matter of local concern: It will be read by the elected representatives as well as the public.

If after seven days the matter has not been resolved I shall then consider my next course of action.

Incidently, have you seen the bin, if so what do you think?

Aslan

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 08:24:30 AM »
A bit of a daft question I think, but either of you thought of getting in touch with the Council and asking, rather than just having a go on here?
I believe there is now a freephone number and an email address to go at.

alastair

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 11:39:18 PM »
I know the bin your talking about Alan, and I guess it is a Stockport Council bin and i am also guessing that either the people doing the bin duties dont know it exists or are too lazy to walk down the steps and back up again to empty it! I vote for the latter

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 10:49:54 PM »
I am pleased to read on the MCC website that Marple is included in a "pilot sudy" on keeping the town clean , and that we the ratepayers are now privilaged to have a street cleaning operative 6 days a week.

Am I correct in assuming that this pilot scheme excludes canalside areas immediately adjacent to the highway.

The waste bin at the bottom of the steps at Posset Bridge on Stockport Road is so full that rubbish is now scattered over a considerable area around the bin and it looks an unsightly mess.

If my assumtion is correct (forgive me if I am not), is it SO much to ask the local elected representatives to arrange for officers to come to some arrangement to ensure that this local beauty spot is kept clean, oh and could we have the missing bin on the pavement at the top of the steps replaced...please.?

I entertain no doubt that our elected representatives view this page and  would welcome an observation or comment.Even if it is that it is not a matter for the local authority, but  that they might feel inclined to come to some arrangement with British Waterways.