Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701723 times)

NeilCorrie

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #428 on: July 29, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
Perhaps we should invite the Governors to the next public meeting and ask them to explain their position and how they think this is 'good community relations'.

Governors, Councillors, local MP (didn't spot him at wednesday's meeting!), Turner+Townsend, CAMSFC management all welcome to attend.

In fact, I'd rather like the prospective buyers of the land to come along too.  Worth a punt by sending an invite to ASDA, Sainsburys and Tesco PR divisions.

Dave

« Reply #427 on: July 29, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
SO WHAT'S DIFFERENT !   Please enlighten me !

Er, well, for a start, colleges provide education, free of charge; shops sell goods for profit.  Grenaby Farm and Mulligans closed because people were voting with their feet and going elsewhere to buy what they sold.  On the other hand, Camsfc is the only provider of 16-18 education (e.g. A levels) in Marple.  If it were allowed to close our children and grandchildren (huge numbers of them) would have to go elsewhere, and there isn't anywhere to go - there is certainly no spare capacity at Aquinas.

hollins

« Reply #425 on: July 29, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »
Harry,
Another devils advocate.. Not a Hibbert Lane resident either I am guessing?
Yes! Increased crime, it is known that supermarket car parks tend to attract anti social behaviour, car crime, thefts etc.. Even if you want to argue this point, (which I am sure you enjoy doing) that does not detract from from the other issues of noise, traffic & congestion, 24 hour floodlights, and devaluation of property to mention a few.
Like I said before, have some empathy for those who are directly affected by this and STOP NIT PICKING!!!!

Not true I'm afraid - I bet the police visit the area around the Co-op's car-park rather less than they do certain areas of Marple. Perhaps you should visit the Co-op car park at night ... it is extremely quiet except when the clientele of the cinema emerge after the night's film.
It has night-time (not 24-hour!) floodlights: they aren't a problem; in fact, they help to keep the area crime-free.

Many pubs are a bigger source of anti-social behaviour, drugs and crime but I don't see many people on this forum advocating their closure (and neither would I).

Noise? Well you should try Brabyns Park when there is a dog show there.

I don't live on Hibbert Lane but I bet I live closer to the Co-op than most of the people posting from that road. It isn't a problem. In fact, if the Co-op improved its retailing then it would actually be quite convenient.

Why would anyone think that the residents of Marple should bail out a PRIVATE company  For goodness sake they got the land given to them !  We are not speaking about a state run school !  THIS IS A PRIVATE BUISNESS !!!!!    Well I know what we should do, all the residents of Marple should have a whip round for all the failed shops in Marple, let's say we start with Grenaby Farm and Mulligans. Shall we pull those two shops down and set those failed Business up in the Trafford Centre in a brand new store.   No it's not practical is it ?  So how can a private company like the college be allowed to distroy  our community to get what they want, because I bet any money the likes of Mulligans and Grenaby didn't expect anything.   SO WHAT'S DIFFERENT !   Please enlighten me !

This is a private business but, unlike the shops that you mention, the College can't charge its users (6th-form students) directly ... at least, not yet! Nor can it change its income no matter how well it does its job (teaching) - unlike the shops which can choose to set their own prices and can expect to do well out of good retail practice.

I can see a big difference.

Catwoman

« Reply #424 on: July 29, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
Just a point of information for those people new to the forum.

Cheadle & Marple 6th Form College is not affiliated to the Council or to any local education authority, it operates autonomously much in the way a private limited compoany does.

The Principal and Board of Governors do not have to consult with anyone about what they do. They don't have to take any notice of what the planning department are saying to them about unsuitability of the site for a supermarket and refusal of planning applications. If they (the college) think they can get the money they want to carry out their plans from a supermarket developer they can just go ahead and do it. They don't have to consult with the community or anyone else.

Hey - this doesn't sound very fair to me. ???

Perhaps we should invite the Governors to the next public meeting and ask them to explain their position and how they think this is 'good community relations'.

Miss Marple

« Reply #423 on: July 29, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
Why would anyone think that the residents of Marple should bail out a PRIVATE company  For goodness sake they got the land given to them !  We are not speaking about a state run school !  THIS IS A PRIVATE BUISNESS !!!!!    Well I know what we should do, all the residents of Marple should have a whip round for all the failed shops in Marple, let's say we start with Grenaby Farm and Mulligans. Shall we pull those two shops down and set those failed Business up in the Trafford Centre in a brand new store.   No it's not practical is it ?  So how can a private company like the college be allowed to distroy  our community to get what they want, because I bet any money the likes of Mulligans and Grenaby didn't expect anything.   SO WHAT'S DIFFERENT !   Please enlighten me !

Dave

« Reply #422 on: July 29, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
Message for Dave.....

Care to enlighten us as to where you live? if it is in Marple at all? Is it anywhere near the planned supermarket site?  Actually I don;t care where you live, I am willing to bet it is not near Hibbert Lane!... It is all very well playing devils advocate and making a good arguement however the more valid arguements are those who are directly affected by this.

Yes I live in Marple, but not near Hibbert Lane.  And I have every sympathy for those who live near the site - in my view that is the one group of people who really do have good reason to oppose this plan, and they have by far the strongest case against it.  If I lived there I would probably feel just the same.  But as I have said before, I am not convinced by some of the other arguments, such as that the development would have a major adverse effect on local businesses.  And I do have a lot of sympathy for the college, which is just doing its best to improve its facilities for the benefit of the community. 

lissb66

« Reply #421 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:29 AM »
Harry,
Another devils advocate.. Not a Hibbert Lane resident either I am guessing?
Yes! Increased crime, it is known that supermarket car parks tend to attract anti social behaviour, car crime, thefts etc.. Even if you want to argue this point, (which I am sure you enjoy doing) that does not detract from from the other issues of noise, traffic & congestion, 24 hour floodlights, and devaluation of property to mention a few.
Like I said before, have some empathy for those who are directly affected by this and STOP NIT PICKING!!!!

Basementlife

« Reply #420 on: July 29, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
 Ironically, if an indoor venue for the next mass meeting concerning flogging off the Hibbert Lane site to the known unknowns, is the best place available, in central Marple, the College itself in the Sport Hall or similar? Judging from the numbers that turned up on Wednesday, this may even be a tight fit.

And a big thank you to the lady and gentlemen from the Marple Action group, who attended a meeting at the college and brought the news, however unpalatable that was  >:(

Imagine the kerfuffle if this was 1828 and a certain Mr.Charles Warmsley announced his attention to build a Mill, finishing in 1830 which  will stand 5 storeys high, the weaving sheds and offices will more than treble this area, for the mill footprint. Noise, deliveries...In Marple with a population of 2,000 !

(thanks to Peter Clarke..http://www.marple-uk.com/hollins.htm)

Harry

« Reply #419 on: July 29, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »
......affected areas by increased traffic, noise, poloution, crime, light and devaluation of property?

Increased crime?  Where did this one come from?

lissb66

« Reply #418 on: July 29, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
Message for Dave.....

Care to enlighten us as to where you live? if it is in Marple at all? Is it anywhere near the planned supermarket site?  Actually I don;t care where you live, I am willing to bet it is not near Hibbert Lane!... It is all very well playing devils advocate and making a good arguement however the more valid arguements are those who are directly affected by this. Do you have to back bite every comment? It seems like you are just enjoying the arguement! Have a think about how this feels for those who have been kept in the dark, those who invested their lives in purchasing a property in the affected areas by increased traffic, noise, poloution, crime, light and devaluation of property? Have some empathy for god's sake!!

Dave

« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »
Now we are being held to ransom by thirteen college governors......They and Principal should resign in shame and a new board of governors should be elected, people who are competent and could help to sort this out.

And how exactly do you suggest they could 'sort this out' catwoman?  Unless they have a magic wand, they will need to raise the same money, and they will have to raise it in the same way.  A reputable (and no doubt expensive) property consultants, Turner and Townsend, have identified this as the way to raise the capital they need to finance their building, and that won't change. 

wardy123

« Reply #416 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »
Unacceptable post overwritten. Admin

Miss Marple

« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
Have we got any idea yet of the mail or email address of any of the governors of the college. Please send a personal email asap  :(. Can anyone let us know who the supermarket is all very useful stuff that someone out there may know  ???

Miss Marple

« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
Two leaked emails that Ms Cassidy and Mr Hubert asked to be taken off this site have been seen digested  circulated and distributed to all that need to know.  THEY CAN RUN BUT THEY CAN NOT HIDE   Correction They tried to hide a lot  of information.   SHAME ON YOU !