Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701664 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
Miss Marple, you seem to assume that the MBF is against the prospect of a new Tesco, but surely there are some members within that grouping who support the idea.

I fully support the idea of a new supermarket. Jobs will be created, and more people will come to Marple.

I am sure that you are right, some members of the MBF may support this, I have no idea who are for and who are against.  Marple in Action is for residents who will be directly effected by developments on the site ie traffic, noise and light pollution and damage to the environment  It would be my view that if you are passionate about a supermarket giant moving in to Marple,is to start your own group in favour of them moving into the area.  I am no fool and I am fully aware that some people who do not live near the site would be in favour, but that's not what his group is about .  So good luck if you are considering  starting your in favour group

marpudlian

« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »
Miss Marple, you seem to assume that the MBF is against the prospect of a new Tesco, but surely there are some members within that grouping who support the idea.

I fully support the idea of a new supermarket. Jobs will be created, and more people will come to Marple.

Miss Marple

« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
A local action group has now been formed surprisingly enough called  ' MARPLE IN ACTION '. The contact details will be circulated later this week.  The group comprises of concerned local residents who want to find out what the land at the college is being sold for and to who, and most importantly we want all local residents who will be effected by any development to know  that changes are coming no matter who is purchasing the college.   The local press are going to work alongside ' MARPLE IN ACTION'. And hopefully run  a story next week, what's happening at Stepping hill  Hospital is hot news this week.  

bluebelly

« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
is it just tescos or is it any supermarket .
god help us if the spar and premier buy the land..

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
If you’ve not seen this – its worth watching – a DISPATCHES DOCUMENTARY RE TESCO

Tesco - The Supermarket that's eating Britain - Dispatches Channel 4
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
I'm not sure where you get £12m from, without planning permission, the site is only worth the value of the buildings that stands on the site.
The £12m is from post no 80.  I don't know how realistic it is, and obviously such a valuation would depend on planning consent for a supermarket.

The worry is that as a college, the council get's nothing.
I believe colleges pay business rates.

amazon

« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »
Each time I visit this topic I see at least 6 or 7 guests viewing the Tosca topic.  Can I ask if you would register on the forum and enter in to the debate if Tosca coming to Marple will effect you or if you have tried to stop Tosca moving into your area and failed or succeeded.  Your views, help, advice, guidance support (for or against ) would be very welcome.  So please become part of the debate ??? We need you !!
             If the coop were to build a larger supermarket on that site would one or two of you still want to object

Miss Marple

« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
Hi Neil. Glad you have decided to join the Forum.  I sent your Freedom of Information requests to Admin who if you OK it can be printed on here now  Great Stuff

NeilCorrie

« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »
As suggested by one of your members in an earlier posting (#116) I've added a further FOI to my collection.

Dear Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College,

I believe there are restrictive covenants relating to college campus land, in both Marple and Cheadle.

Can you provide me with the following information under the Freedom of Information Act?

1. When were these covenants applied to the college campus land?

2. Who applied them to the college campus land?

3. What is specified within these covenants and why?

4. How would these convenants impact any sale or change of use of the land?

Yours faithfully,

Neil Corrie

Duke Fame

« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
Having had a break from the forum for a while, I was interested to drop in (well it's too wet to walk the dog!), and read this lively thread. Most points of view seem to be well represented, although I do strongly agree with Harry, who seems to be a bit of a lone voice:

I understand that the Hibbert Lane site needs a lot of money spending on it in order to bring it up to current standards. This I can fully understand after having been in there a few years back. It makes good sense to to dispose of the old building and create a new, state of the art, learning centre that would be more conducive to education.

Both of the college buildings, inherited from Marple Ridge School, are leftovers from the worst period of school building, in the mid-twentieth century.  The College has done its best with its limited means to improve them, but honestly the best thing they could do is just to knock them both down and build a really good, up-to-date, energy-efficient purpose-built college which we could all be proud of and which our kids would queue up to attend, instead of getting on the bus to Aquinas.

Unfortunately, we live in straightened times, just in case anyone hasn't noticed, and I doubt whether there are any significant capital funds available from the Skills Funding Agency at the moment.  (Aquinas got under the wire in the nick of time, just before the demise of the late and unlamented Learning and Skills Council). So selling off the Hibbert Lane site for 12 million would probably do the job. 

One final and unrelated point, for Miss Marple: there is no need to panic about this: the wheels of the planning process, and of college governance,  grind exceedingly slowly.  The Business Forum will no doubt consider the matter in September and there is no reason to rush that through in August.  Better to have all members present and come to a proper and considered consensus.

I do agree that things aren't as urgent as suggested. The college will close down and important "lesson planning" will take place over the next 8 weeks.

I doubt if the building is really that difficult to operate a college from, but I do accept that the college is looking to cash in their chips in terms of realising the value of a building they no longer use to capacity.

I'm not sure where you get £12m from, without planning permission, the site is only worth the value of the buildings that stands on the site.

The worry is that as a college, the council get's nothing. As a commercial premises, the rates income could keep the council in self awareness officers for years.

I think everyone needs to accept that if the college wants to cash in, it's not going to remain a school. It's going to be a "something else" as it would help if we're clear as to what 'something else' is acceptable and what is not. I feel a large supermarket will decimate the other businesses in the town and whilst there is already many empty units (high rents & high business rates as much to blame), a Tesco would create a ghost town with sporadic charity shops.

I think in clarifying the objection you need to realise a few things. The individual nimby moans of Miss M or the Duke & Duchess of Fame are not going to count for much. Real objections on traffic levels etc will be more relevant.

Also the business forum should campaign to get rid of parking charges in Marple. Putting expanding foam in machines works well. As Tesco lands, they will bring free parking on top of flexible opening. Businesses should face this head on and offer something similar.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2011, 07:03:06 PM »
Jonnyboy, I believe you are referring to Post 35.

For the sake of clarification, the petition that was in Littlewoods Butchers (which appeared at the beginning of June) was not organised by the MBF. Nor was it to the best of our knowledge organised by any MBF member.  It is not known where this petition came from nor what has happened to it since.

It came to light at the begining of June, through a number of sources, that there were reports that the college were now talking with a number of potential developers (not just the chain reffered to in this thread).

As Mark said:
The college have done quite a good job of keeping a lid on it so far but the issue has been festering away and the time now seems right to prick it.

Dave

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
Having had a break from the forum for a while, I was interested to drop in (well it's too wet to walk the dog!), and read this lively thread. Most points of view seem to be well represented, although I do strongly agree with Harry, who seems to be a bit of a lone voice:

I understand that the Hibbert Lane site needs a lot of money spending on it in order to bring it up to current standards. This I can fully understand after having been in there a few years back. It makes good sense to to dispose of the old building and create a new, state of the art, learning centre that would be more conducive to education.

Both of the college buildings, inherited from Marple Ridge School, are leftovers from the worst period of school building, in the mid-twentieth century.  The College has done its best with its limited means to improve them, but honestly the best thing they could do is just to knock them both down and build a really good, up-to-date, energy-efficient purpose-built college which we could all be proud of and which our kids would queue up to attend, instead of getting on the bus to Aquinas.

Unfortunately, we live in straightened times, just in case anyone hasn't noticed, and I doubt whether there are any significant capital funds available from the Skills Funding Agency at the moment.  (Aquinas got under the wire in the nick of time, just before the demise of the late and unlamented Learning and Skills Council). So selling off the Hibbert Lane site for 12 million would probably do the job. 

One final and unrelated point, for Miss Marple: there is no need to panic about this: the wheels of the planning process, and of college governance,  grind exceedingly slowly.  The Business Forum will no doubt consider the matter in September and there is no reason to rush that through in August.  Better to have all members present and come to a proper and considered consensus.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
Hi I am just checking to see if the business forum had answer my question.  Admin do you mean that you are going to meetings that are not open to the public ? Why ? sky guy asked for the next one to be a public one   ? And why are you not supporting miss marple getting a public netting

Miss Marple

« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
Will do , and will start raising public awareness tomorrow  :o. Over and Out   ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »
Admin would do you want me to see if we could book a room at the Library OR do you want to do this.

Welcome back Miss M, you carry on and arrange a meeting as soon as you're ready, don't let me slow you down.

ADMIN May I suggest that if another meeting is held it is advertised on this site so that anyone wishing to attend is able to do so.

Of course Sky Guy. Any public meetings arranged will obviously be publicised on this site.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website