A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701592 times)

sgk

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2011, 09:17:57 AM »
I see that as well as the previously mentioned FOI request served on the council, another has been served on the college itself.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/building_of_supermarket_on_exist

Dear Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College,

Please could you furnish me with details of correspondence between supermarket chains, Turner and Townsend, Walsingham Planning, Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College staff, Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College governors, and within the college with regard to plans
for a supermarket on the existing college site in Marple?

Yours faithfully,

Neil Corrie.

I wonder if it's worth someone raising one regarding the college's understanding of the covenant in place after they inherited the land from the old "Marple Ridge" college?  As it was generously donated by the people of Marple many years ago, I suspect there could be some clause in there expressly discouraging/banning the "garage sale" of the land to house builders or commercial interests.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2011, 07:10:28 AM »
If you do a search for "Tesco" from the front page of the forum you will find 27 topics going as far back as September 2005. Some of them are relevant to the situation today and others are not. Over the years the rumours have changed very little and I understand have been denied by the college in local newspapers (I don't know if anyone has the means to locate any old newspaper articles relating to this but I know that the Stockport Times / Express are monitoring this thread with interest - perhaps you folks can help with that? )

Here is a quote from 2006 for example:
As Peter mentioned below, he forwarded this thread to our Local Councillors. He has received the following reply from Councillor Shan Alexander:

Cheadle & Marple 6th Form College
The leisure Centres are closing to the public with effect from 31 December 2006. With membership and bookings declining in the face of increased competition it has not been possible to cover the cost of running the leisure Centres for a number of years. This decision has not been taken lightly. Given that the core business of the college is the provision of 16 to 19 education the college has reluctantly decided to take this decision to close this facility to the public. The Leisure centres will be still available to the students. There are very new and excellent facilities available at Marple Hall School.

Sale of land
Cheadle and Marple 6th form College has no intention of selling any land at present. They have asked for a feasibility study on the buildings at both sites. This is to look at the viability or otherwise of running a college on one site and to look at building a college of the future, fit for purpose to achieve the highest standards for students, teacher and all concerned. There has been no planning application sent to the planners at the council.

There is remarkably little outward change in the situation since that time, we don't really know any more hard facts at all but the situation must have moved on. The college have done quite a good job of keeping a lid on it so far but the issue has been festering away and the time now seems right to prick it. That things have come to a head  ;) are in no small way down to your anger and frustration Miss Marple but there is no benefit in alienating local organisations that are capable of getting behind you in a big way once they get moving.

Regarding MBF attending future meetings of the group of residents now also getting up a head of steam: I don't think that will be a problem as there were 5 members of Marple Business Forum and 3 from Marple Civic Society at the meeting on Friday. None were representing the views of those organisations but will obviously feed back what is going on to their members. In fact a key aim of this group is to gather information for the Business Forum to consider at their meeting in September and for the Civic Society to do the same.

So, lets not spend our time bickering and falling out on here but pool information and pull together to discover exactly where things are up to and what we can do about it as a community.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »
why didn't you try to inform the community

We didn't try and inform the community because we were told about the issue BY the community - it was first picked up off this very forum.

Of course we have consistently been seeking more up to date information, clarifications, information and 'digging' - that is what I meant by monitoring.

Where has this idea of a developer 'bagging land' come from?  This is something that hasn't been mentioned before.

You have answered your own question in your last post. Until recently the only thing that was known was the college wished to sell the site to raise funds.  All talk previously of developers was rumour (to quote) with no basis in fact.  Only now that the college have started talking to potential developers is there any truth to them and something to act on.

Miss Marple

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2011, 11:49:45 PM »
Yes I know there have been rumours on this site, but we are lay people. I am talking about The Business Forum monitoring the situation for five years and not doing some digging, they must know what happens in Business especially where Tesco is concerned.  Its just a shock to me and I am now concerned that it's all been agreed and it's been left too late . 

sgk

« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2011, 11:35:42 PM »
Miss Marple - this very forum has been discussing it for over 5 years ! 

See http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1003.0

Miss Marple

« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »
You have known for five years and four months ?  Well I bet the local community didn't because I didn't know and neither did members of my family who live directly opposite  the college   So if The Business forum has been aware that there was a possibility that Tesco could be bagging land why oh why didn't you try to inform the community. Because it would appear that Mr Corrie who is at this moment seeking information under the freedom of information Act didn't know.   I am sorry if you feel my manner is aggressive but I think ANGER and CONFUSION would sum up my feelings right now !

Taurus

« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2011, 11:14:36 PM »
I thought the Buxton Lane campus was where Tescos were going to build us a new swimming pool?

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »
Miss Marple,

I apologise if we've offended you in some way.  The tone of your posts towards the Marple Business Forum are overly aggressive and I'm not sure whyy.

In answer to your questions:
- The MBF does not have a 'laissez-faire attitude' towards the possible development of the Hibbert Lane site.  In fact, a member of the MBF has been monitoring this situation for over 5 years since it first came to light (as can be seen from previous threads on this Forum - the first one appearing 5 years & 4 months ago).

- The MBF currently has 134 members covering a wide spectrum of business classifications and sizes.  All members are listed on the MBF website.

- The MBF has not ever performed in secret.  I don't know where this has come from.

- The September meeting was chosen to discuss this issue in particular for pratical reasons.  The August meeting is normally poorly attented due to other commitments (holidays, staff holidays, children off school, buying periods, company year ends, etc).  It was felt that a subject this important should be discussed at a time convient to as large a portion of the membership as possible.  Also, by holding the meeting in September it gives time for clarifications and facts to be sort so that the debate can be held from a posistion of knowledge not rumour.

- Regarding the MBF's stance on this issue, as previously stated we are waiting until the facts are known and a debate within the organisation can be held before making a public declaration of our collective thoughts.  Clearly individual members have their own positions but we are not currently able to give a collective opinion for all 134 members.

I will be suggesting at the next meeting (in August) that a representitive of the MBF sits on the group that Admin mentioned in an earlier post (Mark - I trust this would be acceptable and welcomed by the group).  We can then co-operate to give a common message, strategy and course of action.  Furthermore, we can throw the weight of our membership, resources and sources of information behind the group (which, without wanting to be immodest, are considerable).

There are a huge number of benefits to being an organisation with a wide variety and large numbrer of different members - unfortunately that sometimes means we can't move as quickly as someone acting alone.  However, rest assured that once we are in a position to act you will be pleased by the speed, efficiency and strength that we show.

Please don't take our current position as indifference to the issue - but we must follow the rules of the organisation.  We can't speak for our members without first asking our members their opinions.

moonforest

« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »
Travelling on the bus today I overheard a conversation between two guys about this very subject, from what I could gather they took it as read that Tescos would be taking over and that the Buxton Lane site would be developed and expanded. So...it may be that this is the "word on the street", so to speak.

Miss Marple

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2011, 09:32:40 PM »
I am a forum member and am worried.

I attended the meeting Admin went to on Friday night.

I am following this thread with interest and agree with Admin that we all need to work together to find the facts.

All forum members are listed on the forum website.

Of course we will all work together I just need to know what peoples interests are that's why I am asking the questions,  it's just that I am worried as to why The Business Forum isn't worried. But hey I might have got this all wrong and September may be a slip of the pen, here's hoping  :-X

Miss Marple

« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
I have just emailed Mr Corrie in the hope that he will reply and join us in the campaign, here's hoping :)

Miss Marple

« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Oh your fantastic !  Looks like Mr Corrie took it upon himself to speed things up.  Well at least that's saved one job.  Oh it's coming together nicely, I think you should change your name on the Forum to Inspector Clouseau  :D

sgk

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »
For what it's worth, I see there's a Freedom Of Information request out there, see this link

Dear Stockport Borough Council,

Please could you furnish me with details of correspondence between Tesco, Turner and Townsend, Walsingham Planning, Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College and the council (officers and elected officials) and within the council with regard to plans for a supermarket on the existing college site in Marple?

Yours faithfully,

Neil Corrie.

Stationery Supplies

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
I am a forum member and am worried.

I attended the meeting Admin went to on Friday night.

I am following this thread with interest and agree with Admin that we all need to work together to find the facts.

All forum members are listed on the forum website.

Miss Marple

« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
Another question I would like to ask The Business Forum, if it's not deemed a secret !!  What shops are affiliated to the Business forum ? are they just the ones who would not be affected by Tesco coming to town  because this all seems mighty strange to me, because if I was a shop keeper I would be worried! Very very worried ! :-\