Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 710938 times)

jethroh65

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1763 on: July 07, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
Oh how I wish there were seven people in my family, But sadly I could only hope to be able to support two. So now I am supposed to support the downfall of Marple beacause some people have to support what they can't afford? Priorities ?

I was actually the person who it was suggested could take 7 people on the bus. I can afford to support my own thank you very much (and my kids are always my number one priority)! But like many people I won't shop at the Co op for a weeks shop (I do get a few bits from there but prefer Iceland). I actually do the weeks shopping online. But I was told to get a bus rather than go to a cheaper store! The point I made on that old thread was that some people without cars (I am lucky to have one but didn't have one when we started out) could not manage on a bus with as many children, even with 2 or 3 it would be hard to carry a weeks shopping. People were suggesting allsorts yet they have never had to struggle like that. It seemed abit like they were saying 'I'm alright Jack'.
JMC, I agree it is a struggle with young kids to do the shopping, but is the struggle not worth it to keep
the area as we have it now?

Miss Marple

« Reply #1762 on: July 07, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Yes I agree the food at ASDA is poor very poor !

wheels

« Reply #1761 on: July 07, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »
Who needs a car for a weekly shop I cycle to Sainburys and bring everything for two of us back on my bike. Easy. And I will most likely continue to do so as the quality of ASDA is so poor.

JMC

« Reply #1760 on: July 07, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Oh how I wish there were seven people in my family, But sadly I could only hope to be able to support two. So now I am supposed to support the downfall of Marple beacause some people have to support what they can't afford? Priorities ?

I was actually the person who it was suggested could take 7 people on the bus. I can afford to support my own thank you very much (and my kids are always my number one priority)! But like many people I won't shop at the Co op for a weeks shop (I do get a few bits from there but prefer Iceland). I actually do the weeks shopping online. But I was told to get a bus rather than go to a cheaper store! The point I made on that old thread was that some people without cars (I am lucky to have one but didn't have one when we started out) could not manage on a bus with as many children, even with 2 or 3 it would be hard to carry a weeks shopping. People were suggesting allsorts yet they have never had to struggle like that. It seemed abit like they were saying 'I'm alright Jack'.

JMC

« Reply #1759 on: July 07, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
I chose to live in the area because the quality of life it would bring to my kids while they were growing up.
So because now I want to maintain that for my kids and possibly grandchildren am I being selfish!!!!

No I didn't say that whatsoever. I just said the YES people should not be dismissed as selfish such as suggested in the post I was talking about and quoted. I never called anyone selfish. I just meant that one persons reason is as valid as anothers and that none is more selfish than the other...

jethroh65

« Reply #1758 on: July 07, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
So basically you would like a superstore on Hibbert Lane because it would fit in with your daily commute and lifestyle, whatever the effect on people's quality of life within the community which will be affected by the increased traffic,noise etc.

You are making that person seem selfish for wanting those things. It is no more selfish to want a decent cheap supermarket in your area than it is to act in the interests of your business, to think of the effects of a supermarket on your house price etc.

I am pretty sure most of the YES people care about how neighbours will be affected but feel it is outweighed by the advantages of a supermarket for those on a low income etc. However, some people on the NO side don't acknowledge that a supermarket on HL would be good for some people (and then conclude those reasons would be outweighed by the bad). People were mocked on here in the past for wanting a cheaper store and not getting a bus and doing a weeks shopping with the kids in tow! Somebody even said no wonder kids are fat these days it must be because people are too lazy to shop around. I would hedge my bets on that person having a car and never doing a full weeks shopping for 7 people on the bus!

I don't want the supermarket, but comments about people having 7 people in their family are not needed and irrelevant.

jethroh65

« Reply #1757 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »
So basically you would like a superstore on Hibbert Lane because it would fit in with your daily commute and lifestyle, whatever the effect on people's quality of life within the community which will be affected by the increased traffic,noise etc.

You are making that person seem selfish for wanting those things. It is no more selfish to want a decent cheap supermarket in your area than it is to act in the interests of your business, to think of the effects of a supermarket on your house price etc.

I am pretty sure most of the YES people care about how neighbours will be affected but feel it is outweighed by the advantages of a supermarket for those on a low income etc. However, some people on the NO side don't acknowledge that a supermarket on HL would be good for some people (and then conclude those reasons would be outweighed by the bad). People were mocked on here in the past for wanting a cheaper store and not getting a bus and doing a weeks shopping with the kids in tow! Somebody even said no wonder kids are fat these days it must be because people are too lazy to shop around. I would hedge my bets on that person having a car and never doing a full weeks shopping for 7 people on the bus!

I have do not a business in the Area and not bothered about my house price.
I just want to able to live in the same quiet area that I live in now, where my kids can walk to school without the threat of even more traffic. Where I can walk to the park with them on a sunday without having negotiate a a supermarket and the associated traffic and noise etc.
I've never mocked anybody on here about the difficulties in shopping with kids etc. I have done it myself.
But if the ASDA was not built would there be a mass exodus of people to live nearer a cheaper
supermarket ?
I agree the Co-op is expensive and the ideal scenario would be for the co-op to be replace with a different
supermarket in that location.
I chose to live in the area because the quality of life it would bring to my kids while they were growing up.
So because now I want to maintain that for my kids and possibly grandchildren am I being selfish!!!!

Miss Marple

« Reply #1756 on: July 07, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
what a fantastic turn out at such short notice.  We will have to ensure Walmart advertise the meetings better next time and to also hire a larger room.     MIA undertook the majority of leafleting for them and there is still no Walmart leaflets  on Stockport Rd , Buxton Lane and other areas surrounding the college sites   Try a little harder next time Walmart please

sooty2

« Reply #1755 on: July 07, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »

sgk

« Reply #1754 on: July 07, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »
Good to see plenty of people doing their shopping in Marple today. 

Here's a pic taken shortly before the march over to the Walmart presentation.

JMC

« Reply #1753 on: July 07, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »

amazon

« Reply #1752 on: July 07, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
Good post Rambler except I am not as sure the Co-op is as bad as you make it out to be. And why critise the Co-op for having a limited range of bread at 7pm which is when I get back from work at least they are there and open Archers closes at 3pm which is no use to anyone

Archers close at three because everything's been sold early the bakers start early .morning .

jethroh65

« Reply #1751 on: July 07, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
Has the penny really not dropped with anyone that if you commute by bus from Marple to Stockport town centre every day this is not an argument for a shop spelling beans 5p cheaper than anywhere else: it is a quest to find somewhere that sells the food that you need to live. There are no food stores near to the bus station: until the Rose Hill Spar opened there was not a single place where you could get off the bus to buy fresh bread, milk and fruit in the early evening (I boycotted the garage when it became Co-op because Co-op Marple only ever had 8 pint milk or £1.80 loaves on the shelf at 6.30pm). Working people in Marple are currently second class citizens to the retailers of Marple who say 'we don't want your trade - arrive before five o'clock or come on Saturday or the doors will be locked' or arrive at the Co-op after five o'clock and the shelves will contain no fresh food or the inferior produce that the daytime shoppers wouldn't touch. Sorry Marple traders, we no longer live in the 1950s sending dutiful Stepford housewives on daytime shopping trips between nine and five and need later opening hours. If you cannot stand the heat of the customer demands of the 21st century perhaps you don't deserve to be in the kitchen. A Marple High St (and I mean every shop on the High St) of noon till eight shops is what is needed to fight and beat ASDA at its own game. One shop alone cannot win the battle.  One thing that is certain is that if this were to be the case, there would be a massive support from the anti-ASDA lobby - there would also a lot of people who would like, but have never been able, to shop in Marple because they work the same hours as the shops open.
Why not get your loaf in Stockport before you get in the bus back to Marple.
Seriously though your comment it is a "quest to find somewhere that sells the food that you need to live"  is slightly dramatic.
I've lived in Marple for 17 year now and don't remember anybody starving to death because they can't find
enough food to eat.
So basically you would be happy to use a superstore on Hibbert Lane because it would fit in with your daily commute and lifestyle, whatever the effect on people's quality of life within the community which will be affected by the increased traffic,noise etc.
I thought that the majority of the YES campaign was based on the high prices the co-op charge and the need for a cheaper supermarket?
As I have previously stated a new supermarket would be a convenience and is not a necessity that needs building in a residential area.

It is like saying why don't we re-build Bredbury Industrial Estate, stick it on Brabyns Park & the Memorial Park, then we can all get new jobs there. We could all walk to work, less traffic in Marple and plenty of time to get to the New ASDA before they run out of fresh bread at 5 o'clock.

wheels

« Reply #1750 on: July 07, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Good post Rambler except I am not as sure the Co-op is as bad as you make it out to be. And why critise the Co-op for having a limited range of bread at 7pm which is when I get back from work at least they are there and open Archers closes at 3pm which is no use to anyone

marplerambler

« Reply #1749 on: July 07, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »
Has the penny really not dropped with anyone that if you commute by bus from Marple to Stockport town centre every day this is not an argument for a shop spelling beans 5p cheaper than anywhere else: it is a quest to find somewhere that sells the food that you need to live. There are no food stores near to the bus station: until the Rose Hill Spar opened there was not a single place where you could get off the bus to buy fresh bread, milk and fruit in the early evening (I boycotted the garage when it became Co-op because Co-op Marple only ever had 8 pint milk or £1.80 loaves on the shelf at 6.30pm). Working people in Marple are currently second class citizens to the retailers of Marple who say 'we don't want your trade - arrive before five o'clock or come on Saturday or the doors will be locked' or arrive at the Co-op after five o'clock and the shelves will contain no fresh food or the inferior produce that the daytime shoppers wouldn't touch. Sorry Marple traders, we no longer live in the 1950s sending dutiful Stepford housewives on daytime shopping trips between nine and five and need later opening hours. If you cannot stand the heat of the customer demands of the 21st century perhaps you don't deserve to be in the kitchen. A Marple High St (and I mean every shop on the High St) of noon till eight shops is what is needed to fight and beat ASDA at its own game. One shop alone cannot win the battle.  One thing that is certain is that if this were to be the case, there would be a massive support from the anti-ASDA lobby - there would also a lot of people who would like, but have never been able, to shop in Marple because they work the same hours as the shops open.